Nissan Frontier Forum banner

541 - 560 of 566 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my 2008 frontier. My dad passed it down to me around 150k miles. He replaced a lot on it at 100k just to keep it running like new, not because of any major issues. I just crossed the 170k mark and we are hoping for 300k! Either way, my next vehicle I buy will be a frontier

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok , so I don't get by here as much as I used to . but I do , it increasingly seems like I'm on a Yugo forum with all the griping about Frontiers. i.e. More and more of anoying rattle, squeek, gas mileage, tire, timeing chain, tailgate,TPS and "ash tray is full so I'm upgrading to a V8 Titan" threads. How would any potential frontier buyer ever guess what a great truck this is?

So I figure I'll start a thread to coax some positive feedback on our Frontiers.

I've had my 07 LE CC4x4 for over two years now and am still in love with it. No issues, noises, failing parts, wearing tires or crooked dealer complaints. She still looks and rides great and draws compliments from people. I'm getting 20+/- MPG on regular and yet has more than enough power to tow my boat and/or pass on a up hill grade. Size is a nice ballance of comfort , utility and menuverability. I'd even order the short bed again as it does everything I need it to do but allows for much easier parking. All in all, I'd buy another Frontier in a heart beat and sadly look ahead to the day when I hit my self imposed 150K mi / 7-8 yr manditory, "Gotta trade it in" mark.

If you still love yours, please keep the thread going. If you don't , there are plenty of other threads here to keep you from feeling left out.
Greetings;
I've had my 2012 Frontier for 100k miles. I'm on my third clutch but I drive it hard for work. Other than the clutch no issues up until recently. I'm doing plugs, coils, & downstream O2 sensors. I've got EVAP system issues and EGR issues but that's expected after putting 100k miles on the truck. Overall it's been better than my Ford, Dodge, or my old Chevy. Will be doing the Pathfinder brake upgrade soon along with 17" wheels. I'm in California so can't do as much as I'd like to but I like the truck and plan to keep it. I hear that the XTP IMS intake manifold spacer is a real good bang for the buck so that's my next upgrade. The Flowmaster and K&N really smoothed out the engine breathing, made it much more responsive. The truck has not stranded me at any time in those 100k miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't believe their isn't any spy shots of the new Frontier. After this stupid virus gets under control I might want to get a different vehicle. Not sure I really want to wait till 2021 to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes the seats are comfy. I like driving my Frontier but soon found out when my 3 boys started growing ah there's no room in here! If I had to pick one thing I don't like it would be the power steering, seems really hard to turn after I've driven my wife's Pacifica or my Malibu.
Japanese power steering is power assist, not like American power steering where you can turn the wheel with one finger. It’s not a Nissan thing, it is pretty much all vehicles except American.

And the cloth upholstery in Frontiers is hideous. The worst in any vehicle I’ve seen. Replaced mine with Katzskins right away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That might be true but my 2002 Altima, 2002 Xterra, and my 2010 Pathfinder never steered like my Frontier does. I think it's a Frontier thing IMO. Still like it though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in my third fronteir. It is a reliable truck for offroading and can get anywhere i need to go. Right now 8 have a 2012 pro4x with 105xxx miles a two inch lift and 32 inch tires. When it was stock a did red cone pass in Colorado 《a really rocky trail》 and only damage was from hitting rear diff on a rock causing a very small leak but no real damage once it was resealed. I enjoy the capability and the ride and would absolutely buy another one. Great power and the ride is perfectly fine for a truck. I drive a minimum of 80 miles a day up and down mountain passes and it has never let me down.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have an 09 SE I bought new, now has 112k on it and it owes me nothing. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Completely reliable, fun, and more people comment on how great it looks.
I have an '06 Nismo that I bought new, and have had the same great experience as you ..... it was like reading my own thoughts ..... LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
has been one of the best vehicles I've ever had. I bought my 11' pro4x in October 18' with 80k miles on it and have put around 50k miles on it with the only thing being wrong with it a window motor, the ambient air temp sensor and a clock spring which were pretty easy to replace.

Have taken it on a lot of cross country trips with offroading and camping and abuse, and tow a snowmobile with it in the winter and have never been doubtfull that ill make it back home.

I definately plan on keeping this truck. Once it gets higher mileage i may even buy another one.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
has been one of the best vehicles I've ever had. I bought my 11' pro4x in October 18' with 80k miles on it and have put around 50k miles on it with the only thing being wrong with it a window motor, the ambient air temp sensor and a clock spring which were pretty easy to replace.

Have taken it on a lot of cross country trips with offroading and camping and abuse, and tow a snowmobile with it in the winter and have never been doubtfull that ill make it back home.

I definately plan on keeping this truck. Once it gets higher mileage i may even buy another one.

View attachment 317922
WHAT A PIC!!!!

Reactions: mikmaccc

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my truck from an auction with 133k miles on the ODO but after some body work, the truck looks great and runs like a champ! I have moved twice with it, hauled multiple cars with a steel flatbed trailer with hydraulics and a winch and it does it without any major issues! Especially since I have trailer brakes installed. I've taken it off the road for mudding and trail riding. The rear locker and Falken AT3W combo is a dream for trails. The truck continues to amaze me every time I take it out to do something new. My brother gives me a hard time for getting the truck but I don't even care cause I know the truck as I drive it every day! I've had it for 2 years now and could not be more impressed. I wouldn't trade it for any other truck in it's class....aside from the new ZR2 Bison....But that's like 2-3 times more expensive. With the problems I've had and the amount I paid for it, 100% worth it. Highly recommended for anyone else like me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
just hit 100k miles on my 2008. i bought it in 2009 from a dealer, it came from an auction where it started life as a rental for a year in Montana. i still love it, it's my first and only pickup and it's a fantastic and incredibly robust and reliable vehicle. there have only been a few niggles along the way. i replaced the rad just to rule out the contamination possibility. the PRG suspension crapped out and replaced with original springs on adjustable Bils, and added a leaf in the back, and second set of Bils. second aftermarket UCA's, the SPC with grease nipples. truck drives amazingly well and is great off road.

lots of guys are way harder on their trucks than me, but mine hasn't had it easy and sees lots of rough BC logging roads, water bars, cross ditching, etc. to get to places to fish/explore, etc. it's been to Moab and around the White Rim trail with a guy in a brand new Rubicon. i couldn't believe it didn't break going up some of those ledges.

i've been way ahead of all fluid changes. if possible, i'd rather get in front of potential issues than wait until something goes. any advice for a mid aged Frontier in terms of what to expect? anything i should look out for or even consider changing or replacing now?

i expect i'll continue to own this truck for at least 5 more years. a full sized Titan is of interest, but this dam truck owes me nothing and continues to serve me and the wife very well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the club new to the Nissan love the truck since I saw it parked behind a shop minor work needed it but got it home last night wife had only seen it in pictures she hopped In and fell in love with it before it shifted into second gear. Wish I had bought one sooner.

·
Registered
636 Posts
New to the club new to the Nissan love the truck since I saw it parked behind a shop minor work needed it but got it home last night wife had only seen it in pictures she hopped In and fell in love with it before it shifted into second gear. Wish I had bought one sooner.
Hope you have as much enjoyment and good service out of your Frontier as most of us have had. What year & color did you get .... crew cab .... 4X4 .... 4/6 stick/automatic .... inquiring minds want to know ... LOL.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've had my '16 pro4x for about 6 months now. I've owned 4 trucks now, first three were GM Silverado/Sierra 1/2 ton V8s. This is my first Nissan, V6 and more than 4 spd auto. So far I've thoroughly enjoyed it. This truck rides pretty good to. My only real gripe, and i knew when buying it there might be an issue, is the back seat is a little cramped with two carseats. The utili-trac is nice to. Pulled my inlaws 6x10 trailer with my 05 polaris ranger on it over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised with the way it handled it. 1800-2000 lbs roughly. If i pulled it more often I'd probably opt for stiffer leaves or add the air bags. Overall I'm pretty happy with it and feel like I'll have this truck for a long time, much longer than the others.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4
9 Posts
I’m a year and ~22,000 miles into owning a 2005 Nismo—bought it at 77k and it’s coming up on six digits! Absolutely love the truck. It’s powerful, comfortable, and reliable. Wouldn’t change a thing. I've owned 2 Rangers and a couple SUV's and there was always something I didn't like about them. Not so with the fronty!

A few observations on common topics/problems:

-I bypassed the radiator transmission cooler right after I purchased the truck. I drove it in all weather conditions, from -20 to 95 degrees, as well as towed a heavy u-Haul and a few boats. No issues at all. Tranny fluid looks like new. Thinking about replacing the radiator at some point (& tying the cooler back in), but it’s definitely not urgent IMO.

-The M226 rear diff softly whines at 65+ mph when on the throttle, goes away when coasting. Most sources say bad pinion bearing. Some people think their diff is a time bomb, others have driven it like that for 200k. In my ownership, the sound has not gotten worse at all. Changed diff fluid to no avail. I’ll leave it as is and see what happens!

-The truck spent every winter in MN. It absolutely shows underneath...but it still seems structurally sound. Nowhere as bad as a 'yota (i looked at one with gaping holes in the frame), but the frontier isn't immune to surface rust.

-Just completed my 4th oil change with the truck. It’s so simple with the door in the skid plate. Takes 10 minutes.

-Rockford Fosgate stereo is epic. The thing sounds amazing and the sub pumps out killer bass. I wanted Bluetooth music and hands-free phone but like the stock look, so I bought the USA Spec BT-45NIS adapter thingy. Works like a charm!

Anything major you would recommend replacing/fixing/doing now or in the future to make it last til 200k? It's 15 years old and I expect it to have its share of problems, but I would rather be on the preventative side. So grateful for all the advice here!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I’m a year and ~22,000 miles into owning a 2005 Nismo—bought it at 77k and it’s coming up on six digits! Absolutely love the truck. It’s powerful, comfortable, and reliable. Wouldn’t change a thing. I've owned 2 Rangers and a couple SUV's and there was always something I didn't like about them. Not so with the fronty!

A few observations on common topics/problems:

-I bypassed the radiator transmission cooler right after I purchased the truck. I drove it in all weather conditions, from -20 to 95 degrees, as well as towed a heavy u-Haul and a few boats. No issues at all. Tranny fluid looks like new. Thinking about replacing the radiator at some point (& tying the cooler back in), but it’s definitely not urgent IMO.

-The M226 rear diff softly whines at 65+ mph when on the throttle, goes away when coasting. Most sources say bad pinion bearing. Some people think their diff is a time bomb, others have driven it like that for 200k. In my ownership, the sound has not gotten worse at all. Changed diff fluid to no avail. I’ll leave it as is and see what happens!

-The truck spent every winter in MN. It absolutely shows underneath...but it still seems structurally sound. Nowhere as bad as a 'yota (i looked at one with gaping holes in the frame), but the frontier isn't immune to surface rust.

-Just completed my 4th oil change with the truck. It’s so simple with the door in the skid plate. Takes 10 minutes.

-Rockford Fosgate stereo is epic. The thing sounds amazing and the sub pumps out killer bass. I wanted Bluetooth music and hands-free phone but like the stock look, so I bought the USA Spec BT-45NIS adapter thingy. Works like a charm!

Anything major you would recommend replacing/fixing/doing now or in the future to make it last til 200k? It's 15 years old and I expect it to have its share of problems, but I would rather be on the preventative side. So grateful for all the advice here!
On my 2006, I have done the rear axle vent modification as a preventative measure, but other than the radiator bypass, (and some flat black paint on untreated suspension / frame pieces) ... my truck has been solid, rattle and squeak-free ..... a much better built truck than any of my Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Jeep trucks that I have owned over my lifetime .. and there have been A LOT of them !!! LOL :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm glad to read all the positive stuff. I researched the heck out of this truck before buying. What sold me was the fact its basically the same truck since 2005, and a friend who worked at a dealership saying they are very reliable. I've only had mine a week lol!
But I like it more everyday, one surprise is that it does not have "auto head lights", lol

541 - 560 of 566 Posts