Nissan Frontier Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Exactly. The reason you are told to turn it off is the truck will go into OD when you let off the gas, then when you get back on the gas the torque converter will unlock, then it'll shift back to 4th, etc over and over. If you can monitor how your driving and temps, you can get it into 5th, the torque converter lock and you're good to go. If you just want to drive and not worry as much, just lock it out and let the torque converter lock in 4th.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier
8 Posts
Here is mine:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

I try not to drive faster than 60 miles per hour for a few reasons. I have my two toddlers in the back seats that I have to stop after a while and change diapers. So I do not drive faster than that for the sake of better control of the truck (especially when wind is dramatically involved) and to help my gas last just a little bit longer on distance and time. I have done enough of these trips with the family to know that I can last about 100 miles on one full tank of gas before I have to start planning out where I can safely and easily fill up again (and change diapers). Usually that is as much time that I have for a quiet ride with the toddlers napping - anything longer and it becomes a bit complicated getting them to cooperate on a trip. So we try not to go too far and besides it gives me the excuse to to it more often with closer trips so that I gain more experience each time.

Also, I know the truck looks like it is squatting on the pic but that is because the front wheels are sitting on concrete and the back are still sitting on the dirt site of that camp ground. I have a WDH that helps the truck greatly (I initially drove without one on my first and can attest to how vastly different the experience is). This trailer is also on the heavy side of what I see most people comment on this site - it weights near 5000lbs dry. And the truck behaves brilliantly and adding to my speed comment - I never ask my truck to do ridiculous things when towing. Not so much because of the truck or trailer but because my family is much more important and I want us to get there safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car

We travel Quebec's National Parks. We prefer remoted and wild places.
Family of 4, we love camping and fishing together. We are mostly weekends campers. Our season begin at May 15th and ends October 1st.

The Nissan Frontier do the job perfectly and the Jayco camper is awesome for us. The camper weight 4700 lb loaded, 23 feet long bumper to tongue. The ride is smooth and stable. The frontier rev 3000 rpm at 68 mph and consume 10 mpg of gasoline. The only modification I add is Sumosprings blue cushion on rear axle just for improve quality ride and correct little sag.

For us, a 20 foot camper is enough to go to anywhere. Bigger than that we lost access of a lots of beautiful wild camp sites.
Pictures are taken at Laurentian wildlife reserve, 3300 feet altitudes. I have attached some documents for more info.

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Sky Grille
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud
Building Sky Window Electricity Tree

Attachments

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
For us, a 20 foot camper is enough to go to anywhere. Bigger than that we lost access of a lots of beautiful wild camp sites.
Yep, 20 feet seems to be the most common cutoff point for accessing small campsites.

Plant Natural landscape Land lot Grass Grassland

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just finished setting up my tow configuration on my 2022 SV 2WD. I am towing a Springdale Mini (Heavily Modified inside). It weighs about 3700# fully loaded. Tongue weight is around 420#. I always travel with empty tanks. I use the Anderson WDH (mostly for sway control) and have installed the Sumo bumper stops to minimize squat and help with sway control. Basically, I can drive 65 on interstate and get little to no noticeable sway from semi trucks. I put in tow mode and limit the transmission to 7th gear. I averaged about 12.5mpg interstate highway on a recent trip to Gulf Shores (about 1000 miles round trip).

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here is mine:
View attachment 354555

I try not to drive faster than 60 miles per hour for a few reasons. I have my two toddlers in the back seats that I have to stop after a while and change diapers. So I do not drive faster than that for the sake of better control of the truck (especially when wind is dramatically involved) and to help my gas last just a little bit longer on distance and time. I have done enough of these trips with the family to know that I can last about 100 miles on one full tank of gas before I have to start planning out where I can safely and easily fill up again (and change diapers). Usually that is as much time that I have for a quiet ride with the toddlers napping - anything longer and it becomes a bit complicated getting them to cooperate on a trip. So we try not to go too far and besides it gives me the excuse to to it more often with closer trips so that I gain more experience each time.

Also, I know the truck looks like it is squatting on the pic but that is because the front wheels are sitting on concrete and the back are still sitting on the dirt site of that camp ground. I have a WDH that helps the truck greatly (I initially drove without one on my first and can attest to how vastly different the experience is). This trailer is also on the heavy side of what I see most people comment on this site - it weights near 5000lbs dry. And the truck behaves brilliantly and adding to my speed comment - I never ask my truck to do ridiculous things when towing. Not so much because of the truck or trailer but because my family is much more important and I want us to get there safe.
Is that the campground at Jekyl Island, Georgia. Looks like it with all the Spanish moss.

·
Registered
155 Posts
We liked it there. Good Bicycling.....horrible tick problems for dogs though. Had to brush them out every time they walked. We spent two weeks there over Thanksgiving several years ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all,

Here's my setup:
  • 2022 SV 4X4 Sport CC LWB, on Michelin Primacy LTX tires;
  • Pulling a Venture Sonic Lite 169 VUD, 21" total, that is about #3300 dry, GVWR of #4000, I'm probably close to that loaded, with a hitch weight of #550;
  • Blue Ox Swaypro WDH mostly for sway, but brings up the rear about an inch; and
  • Tekonsha 902502 - Prodigy RF With Bluetooth Electronic Brake Controller - love this device because I didn't have to have it wired and now can freely change tow vehicles or lend the trailer out.
Completely satisfied with how the truck tows. Just got back from a 2400km round trip to Prince Edward Island, absolutely no issues with the driving characteristics on the highway. I put it to work in New Brunswick which had some rough and hilly roads. Had lots of head and side wind which affected fuel but luckily didn't cause any sway.

Im coming from a Hyundai Santa Fe V6 LWB which was way more comfortable inside, but the tailwag I'd experience while towing this trailer was a bit concerning.... So traded comfort for capability and it seems to have been a good decision!

Plant Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Plant Car

Plant Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice rig. Looks like your rig has those steps that fold up inside trailer. Our last one had those and Hated the way they would dump trash in the trailer if you did not clean them off real good. I went back to the under carriage steps on present trailer. Your weight is about the same as mine and truck handles it very well with no issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice rig. Looks like your rig has those steps that fold up inside trailer. Our last one had those and Hated the way they would dump trash in the trailer if you did not clean them off real good. I went back to the under carriage steps on present trailer. Your weight is about the same as mine and truck handles it very well with no issues.
Thanks! Yeah, the steps aren't the greatest, but I like how stable they are. We just try to clean them off the best we can.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts