Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, got our 2019 Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4 with the long bed yesterday and took home our 2021 CrossRoads Zinger Lite 18RK today. The trailer weighs 3500 lbs dry and I have the WD hitch with spring bars and sway control arms. The truck does ok but won’t stay in overdrive for very long at 60. A slight hill and I’m doing 3000 rpm and watching the gas gauge drop. On a flat road with no headwind, it’ll turn at 2000 rpm. Stability is ok but the big rigs will bounce me around a bit. What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting.

·
Registered
214 Posts
10 mpg towing a slightly heavier trailer.
In February, Traded the frontier for a Titan, for some of the reasons you stated. I’m itching to see how it does.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hello, got our 2019 Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4 with the long bed yesterday and took home our 2021 CrossRoads Zinger Lite 18RK today. The trailer weighs 3500 lbs dry and I have the WD hitch with spring bars and sway control arms. The truck does ok but won’t stay in overdrive for very long at 60. A slight hill and I’m doing 3000 rpm and watching the gas gauge drop. On a flat road with no headwind, it’ll turn at 2000 rpm. Stability is ok but the big rigs will bounce me around a bit. What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting.
10-12mpg is pretty common depending on speed and hills. I usually try to stay around 55-62mph. Probably should just turn off OD when towing to keep it from having to shift so much. 3000 rpms is no issues. I have one stretch here im down in 3rd (manual trans) at around 4500 rpm up the hill, passing semi trucks and motor homes. Little truck does just fine.

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
967 Posts
Never towed a travel trailer, but every year I hook up my bass boat, load it up with gear, strap two kayaks on top, fill the bed of the truck w/ more gear, & drag it all 250 miles to the family reunion. Maxed out on payload, but still towing less than 3000 lbs. I average about 15 mpg with that load & it tows just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, that’s what I traded in… 2016 Titan XD with the 5.0 Cummins. Great truck. Too big for us and cost me $3000 to replace the rear NOx sensor. “DEF System Error- see dealer” it said…took them 9 hours’ labour to figure it out.
Never towed a travel trailer, but every year I hook up my bass boat, load it up with gear, strap two kayaks on top, fill the bed of the truck w/ more gear, & drag it all 250 miles to the family reunion. Maxed out on payload, but still towing less than 3000 lbs. I average about 15 mpg with that load & it tows just fine.
Wheel Sky Tire Car Vehicle
This is my rig. Thanks for the info. I feel better now!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm late to the party here, but I just towed our camper (8x17 - around 3500lbs dry) for 1400 miles to Iowa and back from Michigan. My truck is 2021 with the 3.8 and 9 speed. On the way there we took two lane roads all the way, and I would run max 60-65 and just leave it in 6th gear (in Drive it would only ever run in 7th, never 8 or 9) On the way home we took I80/94 and through Illinois we had a wicked side / headwind. I had to run in 5th gear at 65mph for a while, engine turning about 3200 rpm. But not loud in the cab, just a nice subdued and sweet V6 sound, and plenty of power to push the wind at that RPM. Got the usual ~9-10mpg that I've gotten with every truck I've ever owned pulling a camper 'sail' behind it.

Overall I was very impressed with the truck and its towing. Only real issue - even the Trail Ridge mirrors fully extended aren't quite wide enough to clearly see behind my camper - better than no mirrors but would have liked just another inch outboard each side. With weight dist hitch even the stiff cross / headwind wasn't scary. Not sorry I bought the truck, we very much enjoyed the trip. Just my wife and I and two small dogs in the truck - perfect size.

One more benefit to camping with this truck. I've owned many full size trucks, and I'm not really tall, so I can never reach into the bed from the side to get things out. Trucks seem to be growing taller and taller. (or perhaps I am getting shorter). With this Frontier, I can roll back my tonneau, and unload stuff from the side. I had no idea how much I would like this 'feature'! Its fantastic.

Pic is before I put the Trail Ridge mirrors on - checking the hitch setup at a local school parking lot.
Sky Wheel Tire Cloud Car

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm late to the party here, but I just towed our camper (8x17 - around 3500lbs dry) for 1400 miles to Iowa and back from Michigan. My truck is 2021 with the 3.8 and 9 speed. On the way there we took two lane roads all the way, and I would run max 60-65 and just leave it in 6th gear (in Drive it would only ever run in 7th, never 8 or 9) On the way home we took I80/94 and through Illinois we had a wicked side / headwind. I had to run in 5th gear at 65mph for a while, engine turning about 3200 rpm. But not loud in the cab, just a nice subdued and sweet V6 sound, and plenty of power to push the wind at that RPM. Got the usual ~9-10mpg that I've gotten with every truck I've ever owned pulling a camper 'sail' behind it.

Overall I was very impressed with the truck and its towing. Only real issue - even the Trail Ridge mirrors fully extended aren't quite wide enough to clearly see behind my camper - better than no mirrors but would have liked just another inch outboard each side. With weight dist hitch even the stiff cross / headwind wasn't scary. Not sorry I bought the truck, we very much enjoyed the trip. Just my wife and I and two small dogs in the truck - perfect size.

One more benefit to camping with this truck. I've owned many full size trucks, and I'm not really tall, so I can never reach into the bed from the side to get things out. Trucks seem to be growing taller and taller. (or perhaps I am getting shorter). With this Frontier, I can roll back my tonneau, and unload stuff from the side. I had no idea how much I would like this 'feature'! Its fantastic.

Pic is before I put the Trail Ridge mirrors on - checking the hitch setup at a local school parking lot.

Good looking setup! I notice the same with the mirrors, plus the mirrors vibrate a decent bit anyways. I installed a wireless camera off amazon on the back of the camper, wired up to the tail lights. Works OK.

This looks to be the latest version of what i bought:
amazon link

They make a big point about "no interference" but being around a lot of metal like bridges causes it lose signal or get really laggy for a few seconds, plus there seems to be a second or two lag all the time anyways. Far from perfect, but was relatively cheap a the time. Maybe spring for a slightly more expensive model and see if its better...

I mostly just look to see if someone if back there and nice to get somewhat of a idea of distances when backing up and changing lanes. Takes out some of the guesswork.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good looking setup! I notice the same with the mirrors, plus the mirrors vibrate a decent bit anyways. I installed a wireless camera off amazon on the back of the camper, wired up to the tail lights. Works OK.

This looks to be the latest version of what i bought:
amazon link

They make a big point about "no interference" but being around a lot of metal like bridges causes it lose signal or get really laggy for a few seconds, plus there seems to be a second or two lag all the time anyways. Far from perfect, but was relatively cheap a the time. Maybe spring for a slightly more expensive model and see if its better...

I mostly just look to see if someone if back there and nice to get somewhat of a idea of distances when backing up and changing lanes. Takes out some of the guesswork.
I thought about a camera, might try that next. I love the Trail Ridge mirrors when the trailer isn’t behind, man I can see everything behind and beside me!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Throw mine in as well. Recently towed our Passport 234QBWE 200 miles round trip through some not so flat grades. Trailer is ~4k lbs dry. The truck handled it surprisingly well. Freeway speeds was not the most fun, as the weather was kind of **** and semi drivers DGAF. Worst part about it was gas mileage as OD never got much of a chance to kick in.

Its got a weight distribution hitch with anti sway, and I added super springs. Truck is nice and level when loaded.

Plant Plant community Vehicle Mobile home Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
410 Posts
Throw mine in as well. Recently towed our Passport 234QBWE 200 miles round trip through some not so flat grades. Trailer is ~4k lbs dry. The truck handled it surprisingly well. Freeway speeds was not the most fun, as the weather was kind of **** and semi drivers DGAF. Worst part about it was gas mileage as OD never got much of a chance to kick in.

Its got a weight distribution hitch with anti sway, and I added super springs. Truck is nice and level when loaded.
What sort of mileage are you getting? 10ish around 60mph? It drops real quick when you go much quicker than that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I am on the big end of weight with a NOBO 19.3 4150 lbs 550 tongue weight 24 ft long 7 ft wide w 22 SV LWB.
WD hitch 500 to 800 tongue weight adjustment.
I was surprised how little the rear dropped when hooked up without WD hitch.
I have very little items stored in the front storage most in the rear as it has great places in the rear for storage.
I never have more that 2 people and do not have much additional weight in cargo maybe 300 to 350 lbs.
So towing this TT is just fine, I am coming from a 2500 Ram Cummings and 5th wheel and have been towing everything from RVs boats enclosed car haulers for 30 years and all over the country, so I do have experience towing.
i was surprised how easily it pulls this from a off the line no issue. I towed the TT home from the Ozarks on some decent hills on the highways and had no sway or stability issues it was fine, passing trucks felt it slightly but again no problem. The only thing is that these V6 motors have their max torque at fairly high RPMs so pulling up hills at 55 to 65 mph you are going to be revving and kicking down a couple of gears so its going to rev.
The trans temp never exceeding the normal driving temp and the 9 speeds is a huge help in towing.
So I am totally comfortable towing this setup but I hardly ever tow my TT more than 200 miles, I do not think I would want to tow this all over the country or to maybe Colorado on a regular basis.
the milage is awefull around 9.5keeping it at 65, so not a lot of tank range.
Overall I am happy with the performance and love this truck as a daily driver!

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (30,000km)
393 Posts
I found it mostly came down to wind resistance. I had an R-Pod which was under 3000#, but finally started travelling behind semi's (at a safe distance) when there was any sort of head wind. Downwind was always not too bad. The difference in towing while letting a semi break the wind was a huge difference in both stress levels, RPM, and gas mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 SV 4x4 4L V6
Pulling up the "Highway through Hell" in British Columbia, no problem - shift into 3rd and rev away! Coming down is a different story, I kept it in 3rd and let the truck hold us back, I think I pressed the brakes like 5 times...
Slope Font Pink Plot Rectangle

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Truck is stock, could use some lift in the back, you can see the squat even with the WDH, we're still packing a few too many things...

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (30,000km)
393 Posts
Hehe.....when I had my R-Pod, I purchased a ScanGauge mainly so I could watch my transmission temperatures. That is when I went from "positive" experience towing to "not so much positive"....and that was on relatively flat country. I can't imagine what the Coquihalla would do!! Don't forget to drain and fill that trans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just joined here after going through some of these posts about travel trailers. I'm really glad I found this group. I did a ton of research before buying my trailer, but sometimes it doesn't seem like enough. I just want to be on the right side of safety. I just finished paying off my 2011 Nissan Frontier SV. It has a Fabtech suspension lift (That Nissan had installed for me) I kept the milage down believe it or not it only has 48000 miles on it for only being 10 years old (I live close to where I work) I had a small pop up that we out grew, and wanted a little more room, and a little more comfort. Just a weekend warrior rig that could be sustainable for a week of hunting at the most. So I purchased the Jayco Jayfeather Micro 171BH. It's 20' 2" from hitch to tail, and It has a dry weight of 4030, and GVWR of 4995. I opted to have smaller propane tanks to ease the tongue weight a little, and I won't be towing it with fresh water at full capacity other than a small amount of fresh water for emergency bathroom stops, and I'll probably use more for hunting since I'll free up a little payload with less passengers. I installed an WDH, Sway bar, and Primus IQ Brake Controller. I pulled it about 100 miles from the dealership to my house with just the wife, and I. So far it pulled really nice! I did notice it still pulled, and stopped good. Not too bad on the inclines, and declines with OD off 65 mph tops. I plan on towing it with a small amount of cargo mostly in the trailer, and hardly any payload in the truck other than my two kids. I do plan on installing new brake pads. and fresh trans fluid, and filter. I also installed E rated tires on my truck, mirror extenders,TPMS, Furion back, and side cameras, and a Scanguage to measure my Transmision temp. I've seen bigger rigs on here that people are pulling with the same truck who seem to do very well. I do appreciate everyone's feedback! I took it to a CAT scale, and loaded up heavy to get a beefy weight I got it up to 4400, but that's gonna be lighter. I was just using worst case senario. I'll let you know how the first trip goes. Just gonna drive it around town for now to get used to towing it, and get my brake controller adjusted.
Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
90 Posts
10-12mpg is pretty common depending on speed and hills. I usually try to stay around 55-62mph. Probably should just turn off OD when towing to keep it from having to shift so much. 3000 rpms is no issues. I have one stretch here im down in 3rd (manual trans) at around 4500 rpm up the hill, passing semi trucks and motor homes. Little truck does just fine.
Correct me if I am wrong, but are'nt you "supposed to" turn off Overdrive while towing :unsure:

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
^Honestly, with some trailers, there are occasions where the OD can be left on - Flat terrain, no headwind, reasonable speed, not a lot of frontal surface area on the trailer...

Seat-of-the-pants is really your best guide. If the truck feels like it's struggling, or is dropping out of torque converter lockup, then yeh - definitely turn the OD off.

OTOH, if you're maintaining speed in OD with very little throttle or drivetrain noise, then leave it on.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts