Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
1,437 Posts
I keep one of these in each of my trucks. The only portable inflator I’ve ever had that was worth having.

· Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
1,126 Posts
Viair is a good brand, well built and highly recommend, had one for a couple years now, own one with the battery connection. Its at a slightly higher price compared to the Harbor Freight version, but they offer many different varieties for different needs and budgets.

· Registered
2022 Frontier
172 Posts
I’ve got a Smittybilt 2781 compressor. About a third the time to inflate as my previous Amazon special. Highly recommend a quality compressor if you’re using it often. If it’s just for top ups a smaller/cheaper one will do the trick.
Tire Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle Wood

· Registered
305 Posts
The one that Magnuts has, the smittybuilt, is the same as some others you can find on amazon (no affiliation).

AllTops
Gobege

The Tozalaaz is pretty cool. That one was hot for a minute on Napa autoparts under their MaxiTrac branding. They are about the same as the Smitty, Alltops, and Gobege, but there's two pistons...one on each end. So supposedly about 2x as fast. Dirt Lifestyle (on youtube) did a couple videos where he modified one.

I got the AllTops and have used it about a half-dozen times. It's pretty fast. Currently I keep it in the bag it came in with the hose. One day I'll make a 4-tire inflation system. But doing one tire at a time only takes like 10 minutes or so.

· Registered
2020 SV, Silver
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Speeds not an issue. I'm not doing the deflate and re-inflate to drive on sand thing, its mostly to have at the house (and in truck on trips) for when my wifes friggin Mazda yet again throws a tire under inflated error even though its at 32psi. Happens a lot. Tire shop says no leak apparent. Annoying and I'm tired of taking car to gas station and paying $1.50 for air.

· Premium Member
2020 PRO4X
298 Posts
I have a VIAIR that lives in the truck and recently got a PowerTank if you want to get crazy. Some people worry too much about duty cycle and will boast their compressor is 100%. While beneficial for sure, you gotta ask yourself how long you'll be needing it. The percentage is based on an hour, so if you need it for longer than 20 consecutive minutes at a time, consider it then. I would worry more about the CFM when the compressor is AT pressure. You'll often see the CFM at 0 PSI, that's not a very good indication of pump power. With this in mind, that's why I have the 400P Auto so I don't have to worry about running past my duty cycle.

· Registered
12 Posts
I keep one of these in each of my trucks. The only portable inflator I’ve ever had that was worth having.
I have this same one. I have used it a number of times while I was trying to pull another 10K miles out of 2 leaking tires. After that I have helped a number of parking lot friends in their time of need. I have a fused line run to my battery that had previously driven a ham radio that I run the pump off of now. It takes a pretty beefy fuse and you should have the vehicle running when you use it. All in all it's hard to beat.

· Registered
2013 CC 4.0L 6MT
172 Posts
I see that you already have one on the way, but I have had this one

for almost three years and it has worked great. Can run on lighter (12V), 120 VAC or 20V Craftsman Li-ion battery. Has high pressure (up to 160 psi) and low pressure (for pool toys, balls, mattresses) with a variety of attachments for various applications (needle, inflatable pool toy and of course Schrader). Digital readout and auto shutoff at pressure setpoint.

· Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
717 Posts
I see that you already have one on the way, but I have had this one

for almost three years and it has worked great. Can run on lighter (12V), 120 VAC or 20V Craftsman Li-ion battery. Has high pressure (up to 160 psi) and low pressure (for pool toys, balls, mattresses) with a variety of attachments for various applications (needle, inflatable pool toy and of course Schrader). Digital readout and auto shutoff at pressure setpoint.
I've got a bunch of Craftsman batteries. I might have to get that for my birthday.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
I have a Viair 88P that now lives in the garage. I found it way more convenient to use a Ryobi One+ 18V inflator. No longer have to pop the hood, connect the clips, drag a hose through the dirt/sand/mud, etc. One 4Ah battery is more than sufficient to pump four tires from 15psi to 35psi.

When I go off roading, I'll bring a second inflator so I can pump up two tires at the same time. I get done faster than my wheeling buddies with their 4-tire manifold setups, and I have more portability, less stuff to pack up, and fewer points of failure.

· Registered
8 Posts
+1 for the Viair. I have the Viair 88P Portable Air Compressor and upgraded the hose to Flexzilla Pro on it. It fits perfectly in a small mechanic's tool bag that I keep in my truck all the time. I've used it out in the 'field' a few times and it does a great job for how small it is. For my application, it's the perfect size and I consider the hose upgrade a very nice to have though not necessary. If I was doing more offroading that required me to air up more often, I'd get one of the bigger Viairs to cut down on the time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts