Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Frontier SV Crew cab, 4.0 v-6. I am sure this has been answered somewhere on the site, but I haven't found anything, so here goes.

I have a problem with slow, then really aggressive throttle response. I can floor the throttle to merge, or from a stop to get into traffic, and there is a real lag before the truck responds. Seems like at least a second or more. Also, when passing someone, there is a lag, then the trans seems to shift down one or two gears, and the truck really winds up and goes. When the throttle checks in, the acceleration is great, but there always seems to be a lag.

Is there a dealer fix, or do I need a Bully Dog or some other tuner to fix this? Any comments are welcomed.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My 6spd manual doesn't seem to have this issue? God I'm going to hate owning a full size automatic, I hate automatics.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand about the automatic. I had nothing but manual transmissions until just a few years ago, but had some surgeries on both legs, so went to automatic trans. It makes you real lazy, in no time at all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would a tuner fix this problem? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Would a tuner fix this problem? Thoughts?
Not WOT. side effect of the AT programming. There is a possibility of a tuner shop fixing this for you using Uprev (you'd have to ask a shop) or you can try Level 10 (in NY) I don't have personal experience, online reviews are split, but theres a guy I've spoken with a bit on FB that has done Titan V8 swap that Has worked with them and he has had good experience. When he asked why the neg reviews, they have rebuilt some of the "bad" ones and they were overheated, didn't run trans coolers on them (bought the trans on-line & had it shipped & installed privately)

I do have what you are calling lag when cruizing along and then floor it, the trans needs to have higher line pressures (fixed with valve body shift kit) to shift faster and just grab a gear & go, rather than check if you should be in 1 or 2 gears lower to 'pass'. A way to verify that this is the issue and not an engine issue is to manually shift into 3rd (while cruising around at least above 35) and then jump on it. It should just go, at most it will shift down to 2nd. FYI 3rd gear tops out about 75mph (listed in FSM & I can verify). If it still seems to hesitate then its an engine issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really what I wanted to hear. Think the dealership would know anything about this? New York is pretty far away from Texas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
drive 2 hrs to work and 2 hrs home in LA traffic and see how fast your stick shift becomes your weekend truck. LA traffic sucks. as far as WOT hesitation get a performance chip, and a CAI would help.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't know... throttle response is what sold me on the Frontier. I'd planed on getting a
Tacoma, but wanted to try a few other trucks, just to say I did. Since I wanted to downsize,
I tried a few other "small" trucks Ford, Chevy, seems that Dodge doesn't make the Dakota
any more. When I test drove the Frontier, I just wanted to keep driving it, I'd step on the
gas and it'd just want to jump... I liked it.

It does downshift more than I'd like, but so did my last truck (Dodge Ram)... I guess that's
just a "automatic" thing. I drive my wife's Corella sometimes and it's like a wind up thing,
you step on the gas and it thinks about it for a bit ... then say's ok... I guess I'll go.

If you have an issue with throttle response, you should get it checked out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts