Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So I got my first gen fronty (2004 XE crew cab 2WD manual 'long' bed) a couple months back and cranked the torsion bars mostly out of curiosity as I had never done that before...quickest and cheapest way to get some lift FOR SURE. Now I'm looking at doing a 'real' lift. So right now front is sitting 1.5" or so higher than rear, which I don't mind too much. Question is this, I'm looking at the 4x4parts.com suspension lift (https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18916478-frontier-suspension-lift.html) for around $500. I'll probably pair that with the extended bilsteins. What I really want out of it is more travel, and if I've read up on everything correctly, with the new upper arms from the kit and if I add the low profile bump stops I should be well on my way. Anything else I need to consider? Anyone have experience with their kit or even just the arms since they seem like the key component?

What I'm ultimately going for is a ghetto mini trophy truck look (I'll work on power later). I unhooked the front sway bar and I'll do the rear when I get the chance, I like when it leans hard in the turns and I want to keep every thing pretty soft for that reason. I've also got my eyes on some cheap wheels with more negative offset and possibly wider tires but that may have to wait. I guess I should also specify this is not my primary truck, more of an after hours, weekend, keep miles off my nice truck, FUN rig. Haha roast me in 3...2...1...

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueller?

The other question I didn't ask is if anyone has found a different lift for the 1st gen 2WD that they liked? I've seen a few other options for more like $1000 so I got pretty interested finding this one for half the price. I understand it may not be as good or comprehensive, but for my spare truck I'm thinking it will be ok.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've got UCA's from 4x4parts i'm about to put on. They're just like Ranchos. I like that the ball joints can be swapped with ease as they just bolt on. Got the Bilstein 4600 shocks front and rear. They're self adjusting for up to 3'' Suspension in front and 2'' in the back. Bought the adjustable shackles too but the HD Leaf springs i put on gave me 2'' + of lift in the rear. I'm waiting on my modified Center Link. I've got the Idler Arm Brace and Heavy Duty Tie Rod Adjusters from 4x4Parts as well. Anything over 1.5 - 2'' in the front you really need to upgrade the steering as its a weak point BUT yours is 2wd so you'll probly be alright since it wont be doing any real off roading. It's still a weak point tho. This is just my understanding from reading the Frontier and Xterra threads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So the Bilstein 4600give you a lift just by adjusting them? I just want my 2wd to sit a lil highering used to big trucks sold my f250 but I can’t stand being so low

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well what the Bilsteins do is: They're ready for stock ride height right out of the box. If you give your truck a suspension lift they'll auto adjust themselves up to accommodate the lift. Basically they just have more room to expand than the oem or oem spec shocks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got UCA's from 4x4parts i'm about to put on. They're just like Ranchos. I like that the ball joints can be swapped with ease as they just bolt on. Got the Bilstein 4600 shocks front and rear. They're self adjusting for up to 3'' Suspension in front and 2'' in the back. Bought the adjustable shackles too but the HD Leaf springs i put on gave me 2'' + of lift in the rear. I'm waiting on my modified Center Link. I've got the Idler Arm Brace and Heavy Duty Tie Rod Adjusters from 4x4Parts as well. Anything over 1.5 - 2'' in the front you really need to upgrade the steering as its a weak point BUT yours is 2wd so you'll probly be alright since it wont be doing any real off roading. It's still a weak point tho. This is just my understanding from reading the Frontier and Xterra threads.
Cool I just wondered if the 4x4parts stuff is crap, seems like it's going to be decent. I definitely thought about beefing up the steering especially since i want to lean thru my turns a bit ;)

And Bayoufrontier I hadn't found the calmini kit but that's what I was saying, it's more comprehensive but at $1125 shipped it's still more than the 4x4parts kit after adding shocks, stronger t-bars, etc. I'm not sure I want the add-a-leaf, or to replace the torsion bars so with 4x4parts I can pick and choose and piece it together more how I want it. So unless someone knows that their stuff is crap I'll probably go ahead with it.
Also in regard to getting your truck a little higher, turn the torsion bars up a bit. It's crazy easy there's write-ups I think on the FAQ thread under the 1st gen hangout. Loosen a lock nut, tighten the bolt, tighten lock nut, repeat for other side. Keep track of how much you turn so you keep it even from side to side (or at least close).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cool I just wondered if the 4x4parts stuff is crap, seems like it's going to be decent. I definitely thought about beefing up the steering especially since i want to lean thru my turns a bit ;)

And Bayoufrontier I hadn't found the calmini kit but that's what I was saying, it's more comprehensive but at $1125 shipped it's still more than the 4x4parts kit after adding shocks, stronger t-bars, etc. I'm not sure I want the add-a-leaf, or to replace the torsion bars so with 4x4parts I can pick and choose and piece it together more how I want it. So unless someone knows that their stuff is crap I'll probably go ahead with it.
Also in regard to getting your truck a little higher, turn the torsion bars up a bit. It's crazy easy there's write-ups I think on the FAQ thread under the 1st gen hangout. Loosen a lock nut, tighten the bolt, tighten lock nut, repeat for other side. Keep track of how much you turn so you keep it even from side to side (or at least close).
Saw the torsion bar bar thing didn’t know if it would mess my ride and how does it ride with the sway bars disengaged?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saw the torsion bar bar thing didn’t know if it would mess my ride and how does it ride with the sway bars disengaged?
The bars have the same tension on them no matter where they're set, but what you 'lose' is some down travel because it's exchanged for up travel. That is if I read it right from all the other guys who seem to know more than I do haha. Also the stock or stock type front shocks are so damn short there's not much travel there. I got some stock replacements because the ones on the truck when I bought it seemed shot and the new ones aren't much better. It's not super stiff or super loose, but when I hit a bump it takes longer than it should to settle back to ride height. That said, if you grab the bilstein 4600 as mentioned above they should take care of that issue. The loss of down travel is what got me looking into replacing upper control arms which is what got me looking at 'full' lift kits... As for sway bar disconnected I don't notice a huge difference on this truck, but again I have some of my geometry and such off because the bars are turned up. Others have said and it makes sense that with a sway bar it doesn't let the independent front suspension act independently, so removing it gets you back to actual independent suspension. More body lean but a bump on one side won't affect the other side.

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You might want to check this out. You'll definitely have to reindex your torsion bars depending on how high you go.
Thanks, I had heard of this to get extra lift but hadn't thought about it in terms of keeping the adjusters in a good position.

When you say the guy took a few weeks to modify your center link, did you have to send it in to him? Meaning your truck was down for that time?

Did adjusting the torsion bars mess with your camber?
Not noticeably, but most anything you touch on suspension it's worth re-aligning. Couple places near me and even sometimes the dealers run a 59.99 or 69.99 coupon on alignment so it isn't too bad. Since I'm leaning hard at continuing to mess with mine I haven't aligned it yet, but that will come.

I think I'm ordering the lift today!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks, I had heard of this to get extra lift but hadn't thought about it in terms of keeping the adjusters in a good position.

When you say the guy took a few weeks to modify your center link, did you have to send it in to him? Meaning your truck was down for that time?
I went to the JunkYard and got a center link off an Xterra to send to the guy so i wouldn't have any downtime. Cost me like 25 bucks or so.
That may be why he took his time though. Because I told him I had an extra center link so.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to the JunkYard and got a center link off an Xterra to send to the guy so i wouldn't have any downtime. Cost me like 25 bucks or so.
That may be why he took his time though. Because I told him I had an extra center link so.....
Good thinking, that makes sense to avoid down time. But yeah you never want to tell a shop it's not an emergency 😂

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally ordered my first round of parts last night, then I started looking back on this. Was there a reason you went with the Bilstein 4600 instead of 5100? They have essentially the exact same description until the shock boot, 4600 is metal 'boot' like stock, 5100 comes with rubber boot. They seem like they might be the same shock with different paint and a slightly different price... Also are both offered for either stock height or 'with lift' which seems to accommodate about 3" lift front or rear, but I don't see anywhere that says they are self adjusting.

I ordered 5100s for the front and didn't order rear yet because I might get the gabriel load assist 'coil-over' looking things.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I finally ordered my first round of parts last night, then I started looking back on this. Was there a reason you went with the Bilstein 4600 instead of 5100? They have essentially the exact same description until the shock boot, 4600 is metal 'boot' like stock, 5100 comes with rubber boot. They seem like they might be the same shock with different paint and a slightly different price... Also are both offered for either stock height or 'with lift' which seems to accommodate about 3" lift front or rear, but I don't see anywhere that says they are self adjusting.

I ordered 5100s for the front and didn't order rear yet because I might get the gabriel load assist 'coil-over' looking things.
"Self Adjusting may be my term. I just know i read they can accommodate up to a 3'' lift so "self adjusting" seems to be a fitting term. I ordered the 4600's for my truck last year before i added the suspension lift to it Then did a suspension lift a couple months ago. Thought i'd have to get new shocks but read they can handle a lift. I didn't have to adjust anything manually as there's no way you can do that. They just accommodated my suspension lift and really the ride seems to be the same. No loss in shock absobption. Great ride quality imo.

As to why I went with the 4600's: Because they were cheaper. Not to mention i didn't even know the 5100's would work until a couple months ago. If i had to do it all over again i'd get 4600's for that reason alone, Price. Plus now that you're mentionioning they may be pretty much the same i mean.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Self Adjusting may be my term. I just know i read they can accommodate up to a 3'' lift so "self adjusting" seems to be a fitting term. I ordered the 4600's for my truck last year before i added the suspension lift to it Then did a suspension lift a couple months ago. Thought i'd have to get new shocks but read they can handle a lift. I didn't have to adjust anything manually as there's no way you can do that. They just accommodated my suspension lift and really the ride seems to be the same. No loss in shock absobption. Great ride quality imo.

As to why I went with the 4600's: Because they were cheaper. Not to mention i didn't even know the 5100's would work until a couple months ago. If i had to do it all over again i'd get 4600's for that reason alone, Price. Plus now that you're mentionioning they may be pretty much the same i mean.....
Yeah I had the impression there was a big difference between them but the description at least on 4x4 parts is identical... And I think the price difference was bigger when I was shopping for my old titan years back but the difference in the fronts I just got was maybe $6 per shock. If they're the same shock I guess the marketing got the best of me and I went for the 'better' one haha I mean the number is bigger so that has to mean something, right?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
3 Participants
CO Fronty
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing