Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had my new 2016 pro 4X4 since Memorial wekend. I have been tracking my fuel economy or lack of. I drive usually on US1 or I 95. More highway than street and very little traffic. So far this is the poor mileage that I am getting.
June:
14.5 mpg, 16.0 mpg, 14.8 mpg and 16.6 mpg
July:
15.5 mpg, 15.4 mpg
August:
14.1 mpg, 14.6 mpg

I have had two fill-ups that I did not track. Will it ever get better? This is 2016 not 2005.

·
Registered
791 Posts
What speeds are you driving at? Anything over 70 is going to result in horrible MPG. My '11 would get about 21 on the highway.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a 2015 Desert Runner Crew Cab that I purchased new. I've recorded every gas purchase on a spreadsheet since new. At my last fill up the truck has run 13,669 miles and the she consumed 816.971 gallons of fuel for a 16.731 MPG over that period. In town I ave anywhere between 15-16 MPG. On the road I typically get 18-20 MPG (I typically drive 85-90 MPH on the road). I knew prior to purchasing this truck that the fuel mileage was poor. I'm just glad fuel prices are low (my last fill up $1.76/Gallon). YMMV

·
Registered
49 Posts
2012 SV V6 6-speed. 96,000 miles. I drive back roads and interstate mostly. All fuel purchase have been recorded, and I'm averaging 20 mpg over the life of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive got a new 2wd sv crew cab long bed, I've put 3700 miles on it now, I towed a 3000lb vintage ski nautique through Kentucky and the mountains of East Tennessee and got 15 plus on the way down and 14 plus on the way back( drove a little faster)

I've done two empty runs to Nashville, running with traffic, 70-75mph occasionally 80 and got 23.5 on the way down and 22.5 on the way back( sat in a two hour standstill due to a fatal accident on 65)

I get 20 to 21mpg commuting around town.

Really happy with the mileage and power, pulled the boat very easily.

Gary

·
Registered
647 Posts
My 2012 SV gets 21 mpg average since new. High speeds don't seem to affect overall mileage too much. I'd suggest more gentle acceleration, and quit using the brakes. That's right, every time you put your foot on the brakes, you're throwing away gas money. So anticipate deceleration and stops, and don't waste your gas money.

Vic

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I drive a 2015 Pro4X crew cab. And also log my milage regularly. I have found tire pressure really is important, and driving it properly. As said hard accelerations really affect the fuel economy. I find that I regularly get 23mpg on the highways, loaded with camping gear, and I live in the mountains. If I am not careful with how I drive the same trip can be more like 16.68mpg.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I avg 17.4mpgs
One thing is in fifth gear rpms are at 3900 at 70mph
Thinking if I would put 32 inch tires it would bring that down and might increase mpgs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I drive a 2015 Pro4X crew cab. And also log my milage regularly. I have found tire pressure really is important, and driving it properly. As said hard accelerations really affect the fuel economy. I find that I regularly get 23mpg on the highways, loaded with camping gear, and I live in the mountains. If I am not careful with how I drive the same trip can be more like 16.68mpg.
So what tire pressure do you run? I do 36psi

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, I've had my new 2016 pro 4X4 since Memorial wekend. I have been tracking my fuel economy or lack of. I drive usually on US1 or I 95. More highway than street and very little traffic. So far this is the poor mileage that I am getting.
June:
14.5 mpg, 16.0 mpg, 14.8 mpg and 16.6 mpg
July:
15.5 mpg, 15.4 mpg
August:
14.1 mpg, 14.6 mpg

I have had two fill-ups that I did not track. Will it ever get better? This is 2016 not 2005.
These figures do seem pretty low if most of your miles traveled are on uncrowded highways. Makes me wonder if you drive really fast, or maybe drive like my wife who's constantly pressing and depressing the accelerator unintentionally. She always gets crappier mileage than I can squeeze out of her car since the fuel efficiency plummets every time you press the go pedal, even if you aren't really accelerating aggressively.

Since you drive uncrowded highways, try using your cruise control for a tankful or two and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
So, I've had my new 2016 pro 4X4 since Memorial wekend. ... Will it ever get better? This is 2016 not 2005.
Short answer, yes. It takes a few thousand miles to break in the motor. First 1k - 1.5k miles, be gentle to seat the rings, varying your engine speed regularly. Then drive it like you hate it for another 1.5k-2k you should see it climb. I went from an initial mpg of 16 to 18~19mpg. Each time you disconnect the batt (resetting the ECM) the first tank will be poor, then it will learn your driving.
Remember this is essentially a 2005 truck (engine/trans) and for trucks of that generation it does well. It's only been since ~2011 that mpg on trucks have been making great leaps in economy. Up until the '16 redesign on Tacoma the 2 were ~equal in mileage...
I get overall 19 with back-roads & highway. when I have long highway runs AND I can keep it about 60-65 I can hit 21. That's with the 32" Duratracks. I tend to be light on the throttle and gas/brake smoothly, anticipating traffic flow. When I haul a good weight or go offroad I get closer to 15-16.

Cool graphic... guess I can't complain about how I used to get gas @ $1 back in the day...

I avg 17.4mpgs
One thing is in fifth gear rpms are at 3900 at 70mph
Thinking if I would put 32 inch tires it would bring that down and might increase mpgs.

It would certainly help the RPM... question is if your motor would lug on 3" larger tires killing any gain the rpm reduction got you...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I recently returned from a 600 mile trip which was mostly on the freeway except for about 50 miles on a two lane highway. I drove the speed limit which ranged from 65 to 80 mph, light traffic, weather was hot so the AC was on the whole way. Two adults in the truck and about 500 lbs of cargo in the bed. Mileage for the entire trip was 19.2 mpg.

Several people have commented that mileage should improve as the vehicle gets more miles on it, I did not experience that. My mileage has been fairly consistent from the first day, I got the truck new with about 80 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Short answer, yes. It takes a few thousand miles to break in the motor. First 1k - 1.5k miles, be gentle to seat the rings, varying your engine speed regularly. Then drive it like you hate it for another 1.5k-2k you should see it climb. I went from an initial mpg of 16 to 18~19mpg. Each time you disconnect the batt (resetting the ECM) the first tank will be poor, then it will learn your driving.

Remember this is essentially a 2005 truck (engine/trans) and for trucks of that generation it does well. It's only been since ~2011 that mpg on trucks have been making great leaps in economy. Up until the '16 redesign on Tacoma the 2 were ~equal in mileage...

I get overall 19 with back-roads & highway. when I have long highway runs AND I can keep it about 60-65 I can hit 21. That's with the 32" Duratracks. I tend to be light on the throttle and gas/brake smoothly, anticipating traffic flow. When I haul a good weight or go offroad I get closer to 15-16.

Cool graphic... guess I can't complain about how I used to get gas @ $1 back in the day...

It would certainly help the RPM... question is if your motor would lug on 3" larger tires killing any gain the rpm reduction got you...

Mathematically speaking my rear gearing is meant for a 32 inch tire, the biggest issues is the weight of the tire if you go with a street tires maybe will help out some. But heck it a dmn truck there not meant to get the best MPGs.
What gets me is my father's 02 trailblazer ext with the I6 gets better gas mileage then mine. He also has done the bare minimal maints for the last 200,000 miles or since new.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I recently returned from a 600 mile trip which was mostly on the freeway except for about 50 miles on a two lane highway. I drove the speed limit which ranged from 65 to 80 mph, light traffic, weather was hot so the AC was on the whole way. Two adults in the truck and about 500 lbs of cargo in the bed. Mileage for the entire trip was 19.2 mpg.

Several people have commented that mileage should improve as the vehicle gets more miles on it, I did not experience that. My mileage has been fairly consistent from the first day, I got the truck new with about 80 miles on it.
how did you drive during break-in? how do you drive now? During the break-in period the engine sets up for its life. The electronics can be reset easy enough, but the sealing of the rings (biggest variable during break-in) is set by that first 3-5k. first 1k you go gentle to get all the initial wear flushed out with the oil change, then the next 1-2k you run hard (WOT redline pulls) to really set things in place. I've not rebuilt these motors, but I've seen it in other motors that I & friends have built (some even on engine dynos) that this has proven true, and my experience with this truck was also this. Since initial break-in I've reset the ECM a few times for different things I was working on and the mpg difference was only 1-2mpg difference (showing the stock maps are already pretty close when the motor is new)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Absolute best was 22.6 MPG @ 75 highway cruise control.
18 MPG mostly city.
I like to think I drive pretty smooth most of the time and in general I keep up with traffic to reduce passes / being passed because I think that's safer but it usually means I'm speeding a bit.

I'm tracking this as MPG was my only concern getting this truck. I wanted at least 20 MPG for the majority of the time. I used to be able to hit 25 MPG on my old 1995 rangers with 4.0L but this is a bit more truck than those with more power too.

I'm not disappointed with MPG but I'm not impressed either.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My 2016 Pro-4 was bought late March, so it's still relatively new. I think the best I ever saw was momentarily up to 21mpg. According to the dashboard mpg gage, I average between 17 and 18 though for my daily driving. 3/4 of my daily distance is just 2 lane road and then the last bit is in town with stop lights. It drops down near to 17 when doing the stop and go stuff but slowly climbs back up and I don't take it over 60mph speed limit either. With premium gas I can sort of go above 18mpg, but I am definitely babying this thing as its new and all and I am still adjusting to the cost of the gas fillups for this vehicle vs my 1995 hardbody truck which gets closer to 26mpg on it's old 4 banger.

I coast on long parts approaching red lights, I don't excessively rev the engine or such, and I definitely keep within the manual's shifting pattern which is much different from my hardbody, but I've slowly gotten used to that. Aka keeping the revs under 2000rpm or you're throwing gas out the window basically, so shifting at lower RPMs than I'm used to. I've come to the conclusion that the truck will just never see anything like 20mpgs, even though it's rated at 17-21 on the window stickers. I do have the heaviest version of the Fronty, and the tires are the RF10s so that doesn't help, but I keep them overinflated a bit at 37 psi to help with the on road mileage.

It is what it is, and I'm actually happy I didn't get one of the Fronty's that has some weird problem with it from the factory where it gets abnormally low mileage. We all knew this truck wasn't an efficient option when we bought them, but there is a range that they seem to exhibit which is independent of operator. Some of these trucks are just getting better mileage than others.

I put headers and a JBA exhaust on it to make that top of the line before I start adding any 'weight' to the truck in addons, and while that has given me a big growling engine now with much better high RPM response, it hasn't done a thing for efficiency and I have been able to test it in low range torque yet either, though the dyno sheets out there from Fourwheeler show that I gained 12 hp and 15 ft-lbs or so.

Driving ability helps to some degree. If I am aggressive on the pedal, I can get that mileage in daily driving down to the 16s, just to hear the engine growl and get some quick takes offs from the green lights. You can only drive so conservatively though to help improve yourself, and if the speed limit says 60, I am not going to be driving 50 just to get an extra mile per gallon. Can't stand seeing those folks on the road, and they're everywhere here. You buy a 3 or 4 ton super duty truck and then drive it 15 mph below the speed limit cause you can't afford it's 7mpg, well you bought the wrong damn vehicle. Now i'm preaching...

·
Registered
485 Posts
how did you drive during break-in? how do you drive now? During the break-in period the engine sets up for its life. The electronics can be reset easy enough, but the sealing of the rings (biggest variable during break-in) is set by that first 3-5k. first 1k you go gentle to get all the initial wear flushed out with the oil change, then the next 1-2k you run hard (WOT redline pulls) to really set things in place. I've not rebuilt these motors, but I've seen it in other motors that I & friends have built (some even on engine dynos) that this has proven true, and my experience with this truck was also this. Since initial break-in I've reset the ECM a few times for different things I was working on and the mpg difference was only 1-2mpg difference (showing the stock maps are already pretty close when the motor is new)
My driving is probably pretty normal for someone who lives in a mostly rural area and does very little city or in town driving. The 600 mile trip I referred to was almost rural interstate light traffic with about 50 miles on rural two lane highway with very light traffic. The only city driving was going through Boise on the freeway, not at rush hour. I usually drive the speed limit or maybe a couple of mph over but on two lane roads I do not hesitate to use full throttle when passing, same when entering the freeway.

Truck had 80 miles on it when I took delivery so it had been used as a demonstrator, it was a left over 2012 I bought in the spring of 2013. So the first 80 miles might have been fairly hard with lots of full throttle, typical for trucks they use as demonstrators. I didn't do anything special while breaking it in except for an early oil and filter change at 1200 miles and going easy on the brakes for the first few hundred miles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
P4Xs are the heaviest (barring the rare longbed crew cabs). I've noticed my truck really likes 55-60 mph. I go 65 if I'm on the highway and trying to save gas. Most of the time, the truck is too fun to drive so I get 16mpg at best. I have 16,000 miles on it at this point with stock tires and no lift yet. No front air dam and only recently added rear shrock bumper. I think 19 is the best I've seen with my driving style and using mainly 7-11 gas with ethanol.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts