Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started having acceleration issues about 2 months ago. I noticed is only when the lights come on at night I replaced the battery, check all bulbs, replaced brake switch but the issue persist. No lights on on dashboard I did the self test (touching the door switch 10 times) all good check charge on the battery and alternator. I took it to a couple of mechanics but they can't find the problem??

· Registered
879 Posts
Welcome to Club Frontier. What version Frontier do you have?? First Generation, (1998-2004), or Second Generation, (2005-2020)??

If it is a Second Generation Frontier, you might want to swap out your brake light bulbs. One of the filaments could have shorted out & touching the other working filament. See attached Club Frontier thread - Posts #13, (Socal) & #14, (Bob-W), at the bottom of the thread for an explanation.

Hope this help.... Good Luck!!!

· Registered
3,202 Posts
It seems to me that one of your mechanics could have hooked up a scan tool and observed the voltage as he drove it around. Then turn on the lights and see if it has an effect on voltage.

· Registered
4,910 Posts
Welcome to Club Frontier. What version Frontier do you have?? First Generation, (1998-2004), or Second Generation, (2005-2020)??

If it is a Second Generation Frontier, you might want to swap out your brake light bulbs. One of the filaments could have shorted out & touching the other working filament. See attached Club Frontier thread - Posts #13, (Socal) & #14, (Bob-W), at the bottom of the thread for an explanation.

Hope this help.... Good Luck!!!
This here is a solid recommendation.
Also, check your battery ground and any other engine bay grounds you can locate. Clean them well and apply grease or battery terminal spray to keep them clean. Grounding issues can be super-weird, electricity is lazy, it'll take the easiest path back to ground, and if that's through other parts it will do it, resulting in all sorts of weird symptoms. I had a bad taillamp ground on a Camaro once, the running lamp filament would turn off when the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lamp was finding ground through the other filament and back through the harness. Just a single example.

Reactions: GreyFox

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Turn on your lights at night
Go outside and look at the 3rd brake light. Is it glowing dimly?
Yes, you have an issue with the running light in the rear tail lights not grounding correctly and back feeding the brake light circuit.
Nissan has a safety feature where it limits engine power if it sees brake lights on. Think floor mat jamming gas pedal and someone hits the brakes. cuts power so they are not doing burnout with the front brakes locked. So grandma doesn't take out the bus full of nuns. You still have some power, just not enough to overpower the brakes.

· Registered
245 Posts
Turn on your lights at night
Go outside and look at the 3rd brake light. Is it glowing dimly?
Yes, you have an issue with the running light in the rear tail lights not grounding correctly and back feeding the brake light circuit.
Nissan has a safety feature where it limits engine power if it sees brake lights on. Think floor mat jamming gas pedal and someone hits the brakes. cuts power so they are not doing burnout with the front brakes locked. So grandma doesn't take out the bus full of nuns. You still have some power, just not enough to overpower the brakes.
I just checked mine just now, it doesnt turn on when i turn on headlights..... i havent noticed any problems with my truck other than poor gas mileage....

· Registered
245 Posts
I just replaced the 3rd brake light bulb with different ones, and with LEDs and they both dont turn on when u turn on the headlights but they turn on when u brake obviously...... can someone else comfirm that there frontier 3rd brake light does the same thing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts