Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Poll: Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier?

67K views 154 replies 84 participants last post by  Frontier75 
#1 ·

Trucks… Americans LOVE ‘em more than beer-battered pizza. We simply can’t get enough of these versatile rigs.

And what’s not to adore? They offer rugged styling, go-almost-anywhere capability and open beds to carry messy loads of Lord-knows-what. For these reasons and more, one of the most popular on the market today is Toyota’s rough-and-ready Tacoma.

This midsize pickup has been the segment’s best-seller for the past decade. It’s reliable, reasonably affordable and proven to work… HARD.

The Tacoma offers a base four-cylinder engine but you’ll want to avoid this asthmatic unit and opt for the available V6. At 3.5-liters it delivers a smooth and responsive 278 horses. A pair of six-speed transmissions are also on the menu, an automatic and a manual (THANK YOU, TOYOTA!).

Shifting gears, so to speak, and focusing on the Nissan, it also offers two engines: a base four-banger and an up-level V6. The latter displaces 4.0-liters and delivers 261 horses with 281 lb-ft of torque, 16 more units of twist than provided by the Tacoma’s six-shooter.

Frontiers can be had with a five-speed automatic transmission or one of two different manuals.

When equipped with four-wheel drive and a stick-shift these trucks are remarkably similar, averaging 18 miles per gallon each. The Toyota has a one-MPG edge in city driving, stickering at 17, while the Nissan beats it by one on the highway at 21.

Which of these midsize Japanese trucks is better? Which one would YOU rather own? Well, compare them directly right here for more information and don’t forget to vote in our poll!

Vote Here: Poll: Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier? » AutoGuide.com News

Jeff M

See less See more
#5 ·
I voted for the Frontier, I really like my truck and won't be getting rid of it for a while but Nissan is doing next to nothing to try and keep me interested in the brand. The Xterra is done, Frontier is 2005 tech and the Titan is pricey, granted they have the 370z thats cool.

#8 ·
... Nissan is doing next to nothing to try and keep me interested in the brand. The Xterra is done, ...
They REALLY need to bring the xTerra or something similar out. When it first came out and replaced the Pathfinder as a proper off-roader SUV I thought it wasn't serious.... few years later I saw it was a serious off-roader.

#6 ·
Voted for the Nissan. Purchased a 2016 Pro4x.

Toyota like the GMC twins got bigger, wider and put high rev engines. I test drove them all. GMC twins have no ground clearance due to the front air dam. Toyota has some issues with the 3rd Gen Tacoma. Some like them, some don't. GMC and Toyota are asking way to much for what they are offering.

I decided that the aged Frontier was the better buy.

#7 ·
If I were in the market for a truck today, I'd get the Fronty, skip the warranty, & do a Full Titan Swap (engine, drivetrain, front&rear axles/suspension) with the savings.

Reactions: Datsunguy89
#9 ·
Go pro4x and with the extra $$$ you can upgrade with the extra funds!!! Plus taco's have problems with the new series, would rather buy something that worked out the kinks then something right of the line with 0 trucks with 100k+ miles

#13 ·
Its a hard one

To be completely honest frontier needs to be up dates. It needs to come with more ground clearance also. The fact that a 2005 looks like the 2016 at a glace doesn't help. I would have to go with the Toyota on this one. I love my frontier but its out dated.

#15 ·
To be completely honest frontier needs to be up dates. It needs to come with more ground clearance also. The fact that a 2005 looks like the 2016 at a glace doesn't help. I would have to go with the Toyota on this one. I love my frontier but its out dated.
You do realize the new Taco is just a new snoot and bed over the same old chassis? People go on and on about "all new" when it ends up being the same candy bar in a new wrapper.

#18 ·
I have owned a 2000, 2009 and 2012 Tacoma, but now have a 2016 Pro 4X. When it came time for a new truck, even at the best deal I could get, a Tacoma D/C Off Road manual was going to be $33K plus taxes, title and delivery. The Frontier was $29K out the door. Also, the Gen 2.5 Tacoma (it was not a full redesign by any means) has a whole litany of issues- noises, vibrations, rear end and transmission problems, hood separations and fluttering- all stuff that should have been addressed had Toyota not sat back on their laurels. I like the Frontier due to it's simple, rugged, proven design. I don't care one lick about technology, and am too old to care what others think about what my truck looks like.

#20 ·
I'd stick with the Frontier. They finally got most of the bugs worked out of them whereas the Toy 3.5L is a brand new engine that's relatively untested. The Tacoma reliability has dropped off the last few years, going by Consumer Reports. Also, they have one of the most uncomfortable seats in any vehicle! The seat padding is poor and the seating position is terrible!

Reactions: Frontier75
#22 ·
I had to make this very choice this week and chose a new Frontier. I like the look of the Toyota, but not the price. I liked the low end torque feel of the Frontier better. My good friend has a 2009 Toyota and it's a very solid truck and he loves it. I took him for a spin in my new Frontier on Wednesday. He really was impressed with the overall truck. He's never owned a Nissan, but he said mine impressed him more than he expected.

#23 ·
My thoughts exactly - looked very hard at the taco but I got more truck for my money with the Frontier. It wasn't that hard of a decision though - my fronty is a phenomenal ride. I'm one that is very happy with its looks - some see it as dated I'm sure and I do up they update it some soon... but not TOO mutch. I bought the Frontier because I wanted a truck, not a SUV with a p/u bed that seems to be a trend that's catching on. To each his/her own I suppose.

#24 ·
Frontier for sure. Why everyone keeps wanting upgrades and more tech which always equals more problems is beyond me. Give me something tried and true any day and the benefit of being a lot cheaper. Plus, the Frontier's legroom is just good enough for my long legs, the Taco's legroom due to the horrible seating position sucks in comparison.

Reactions: NJMIKE
#29 ·
WHOA!?? Nice to see the comparison in bar graphs. I'm impressed even more than I was already!

#31 ·
Noted and understood. Mostly impressed w/ the flatness of the graph bars since 2010ish. IMO, this speaks volumes.

#36 ·
Interesting topic, but one thing that needs to be brought up. This is a Frontier forum so most of us have already rolled the dice! If it were a Tacoma forum the stats would likely be different! Personally I love my Frontier and especially love the dollars saved over the Tacoma... Oh and the rear disc brakes are nice too LOL

#37 ·
The lower cost per comparable model is the clincher for me. I got a brand new Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab for 21,500 out the door and the same Taco model would have been about 5k more.

Plus, the new Taco's are ugly as all get out, wish they had made the front grill look like the new 4Runner grill.

#38 ·
As is often the case people tend to stay with what they know. It is also true that all of the manufactures get lazy at some point and just rely on their name to get them by. Toyota is no exception. They have a good reputation and because of that they charge more. They may also be going after a different segment of buyers that are willing to pay the extra for the badge just so they can say "I have a new Toyota and look at all the tech it has!". Of course these are probably the same people standing in line for 3 days just so they can be the first with the new I phone. Both are good trucks, it just comes down to how much your willing to pay. Me, I always go for the most bang for the buck. That means I'll go Frontier every time. Why not? It's just as capable and can be had with plenty of "goodies" for much less. Then you can use that money you saved to make it just the way you want. After all you'd probably spend just as much making the Taco just the way you wanted while paying more for it.

#39 ·
As is often the case people tend to stay with what they know. It is also true that all of the manufactures get lazy at some point and just rely on their name to get them by. Toyota is no exception. They have a good reputation and because of that they charge more.
Yes and no. If the Frontier cost was the same,majority would have bought Toyota. Between the Toyota,Frontier, Ranger, the Frontier served me best for what I wanted to do.Cost did not matter between these three. If cost truly did not matter, I would have raced my Dodge. Did not want to buy another one as a tow/ chase vehicle
I bought the Frontier because of the h.p., m226(Dana), disc brakes.Plus everybody racesToyotas or Rangers.

#40 ·
I also considered the 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Another truck (car) with good reliability. Never would have touched it before (UGLY). The new one is lighter, and much better looking and will probably hold up well. But equipped the way I wanted it was over 44K... And it is not all that good off-road! Love my Frontier!!!

#41 ·
I also considered the 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Another truck (car) with good reliability. Never would have touched it before (UGLY). The new one is lighter, and much better looking and will probably hold up well. But equipped the way I wanted it was over 44K... And it is not all that good off-road! Love my Frontier!!![/QU
In 2008 a Honda Ridgeline won the the Baja 1000 in "stock mini" class.

#43 ·
Ill most likely be keeping my Frontier a few more years but if I were buying a new truck today, I don't think id even go to the Nissan dealer. Ive had my truck for a little over 10 yrs, bought new, and It would be like still having my truck, just add the payment if I got a new frontier. Never had any major trouble with the Toyotas I've had and wouldn't hesitate to get another one, even for a little more money now. I did save money on a comparable Frontier over the Tacoma (helped at the time) but the Frontier isn't that good mpg wise for me.... Add that up after 10 yrs and the cost difference is probably not that far off. Still love my truck, not Nissan for the way they handled some of my repairs, Toyota wasn't that great either as minimal as it was (guess thats just dealing with dealers) but Id probably go Tacoma or F150 next time. Ridgline and Canyon(S10) not an option

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.