Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Administrator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Trucks… Americans LOVE ‘em more than beer-battered pizza. We simply can’t get enough of these versatile rigs.

And what’s not to adore? They offer rugged styling, go-almost-anywhere capability and open beds to carry messy loads of Lord-knows-what. For these reasons and more, one of the most popular on the market today is Toyota’s rough-and-ready Tacoma.

This midsize pickup has been the segment’s best-seller for the past decade. It’s reliable, reasonably affordable and proven to work… HARD.

The Tacoma offers a base four-cylinder engine but you’ll want to avoid this asthmatic unit and opt for the available V6. At 3.5-liters it delivers a smooth and responsive 278 horses. A pair of six-speed transmissions are also on the menu, an automatic and a manual (THANK YOU, TOYOTA!).

Shifting gears, so to speak, and focusing on the Nissan, it also offers two engines: a base four-banger and an up-level V6. The latter displaces 4.0-liters and delivers 261 horses with 281 lb-ft of torque, 16 more units of twist than provided by the Tacoma’s six-shooter.

Frontiers can be had with a five-speed automatic transmission or one of two different manuals.

When equipped with four-wheel drive and a stick-shift these trucks are remarkably similar, averaging 18 miles per gallon each. The Toyota has a one-MPG edge in city driving, stickering at 17, while the Nissan beats it by one on the highway at 21.

Which of these midsize Japanese trucks is better? Which one would YOU rather own? Well, compare them directly right here for more information and don’t forget to vote in our poll!

Vote Here: Poll: Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier? » AutoGuide.com News

Jeff M

·
Registered
534 Posts
It was an easy decision for me in 2011 but man... a 2017 TRD Pro Taco vs. a 2017 Pro-4x?? I'd get the Taco TRD Pro if I was in the market today and these were my choices. Although in reality I'd spend a tad more and get a 4Runner TRD Pro.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It was an easy decision for me in 2011 but man... a 2017 TRD Pro Taco vs. a 2017 Pro-4x?? I'd get the Taco TRD Pro if I was in the market today and these were my choices. Although in reality I'd spend a tad more and get a 4Runner TRD Pro.
I don't know if I would. I might take the more torque and about $8k in my pocket :D. I am seeing some Frontier's go for steals of deals lately. I think dollar for dollar most would take a Taco though.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I voted for the Frontier, I really like my truck and won't be getting rid of it for a while but Nissan is doing next to nothing to try and keep me interested in the brand. The Xterra is done, Frontier is 2005 tech and the Titan is pricey, granted they have the 370z thats cool.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Voted for the Nissan. Purchased a 2016 Pro4x.

Toyota like the GMC twins got bigger, wider and put high rev engines. I test drove them all. GMC twins have no ground clearance due to the front air dam. Toyota has some issues with the 3rd Gen Tacoma. Some like them, some don't. GMC and Toyota are asking way to much for what they are offering.

I decided that the aged Frontier was the better buy.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
If I were in the market for a truck today, I'd get the Fronty, skip the warranty, & do a Full Titan Swap (engine, drivetrain, front&rear axles/suspension) with the savings.

Reactions: Datsunguy89

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
... Nissan is doing next to nothing to try and keep me interested in the brand. The Xterra is done, ...
They REALLY need to bring the xTerra or something similar out. When it first came out and replaced the Pathfinder as a proper off-roader SUV I thought it wasn't serious.... few years later I saw it was a serious off-roader.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Go pro4x and with the extra $$$ you can upgrade with the extra funds!!! Plus taco's have problems with the new series, would rather buy something that worked out the kinks then something right of the line with 0 trucks with 100k+ miles

·
Registered
397 Posts
Voted for the Nissan. Purchased a 2016 Pro4x.

Toyota like the GMC twins got bigger, wider and put high rev engines. I test drove them all. GMC twins have no ground clearance due to the front air dam. Toyota has some issues with the 3rd Gen Tacoma. Some like them, some don't. GMC and Toyota are asking way to much for what they are offering.

I decided that the aged Frontier was the better buy.
...went with a '17 SV and the money saved is going to get me P4x heavier aftermarket equipment items added!

·
Premium Member
402 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Its a hard one

To be completely honest frontier needs to be up dates. It needs to come with more ground clearance also. The fact that a 2005 looks like the 2016 at a glace doesn't help. I would have to go with the Toyota on this one. I love my frontier but its out dated.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
To be completely honest frontier needs to be up dates. It needs to come with more ground clearance also. The fact that a 2005 looks like the 2016 at a glace doesn't help. I would have to go with the Toyota on this one. I love my frontier but its out dated.
You do realize the new Taco is just a new snoot and bed over the same old chassis? People go on and on about "all new" when it ends up being the same candy bar in a new wrapper.

·
Registered
557 Posts
One of the reason I went with Nissan ... it doesn't have all the electronic wiz bangs that Toyota and GMC are pushing.

From what I keep reading from various sites, the engine/drivetrain combo is not that great in the Toyota.

But, hey each to their own. If you like the new Tacoma, buy it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Like the the look of the Taco but it also costs more once you load it up. I'm more than thrilled with my new Pro4x - Frontier for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have owned a 2000, 2009 and 2012 Tacoma, but now have a 2016 Pro 4X. When it came time for a new truck, even at the best deal I could get, a Tacoma D/C Off Road manual was going to be $33K plus taxes, title and delivery. The Frontier was $29K out the door. Also, the Gen 2.5 Tacoma (it was not a full redesign by any means) has a whole litany of issues- noises, vibrations, rear end and transmission problems, hood separations and fluttering- all stuff that should have been addressed had Toyota not sat back on their laurels. I like the Frontier due to it's simple, rugged, proven design. I don't care one lick about technology, and am too old to care what others think about what my truck looks like.

·
Registered
578 Posts
my buddy just called me yesterday to tell me of his new white TRD 4x4 crew cab.
he's in 7th heaven and i think he's probably sleeping in it. i'll ask his wife haha.
i'm going to meeting him for lunch to see who can pee further

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I'd stick with the Frontier. They finally got most of the bugs worked out of them whereas the Toy 3.5L is a brand new engine that's relatively untested. The Tacoma reliability has dropped off the last few years, going by Consumer Reports. Also, they have one of the most uncomfortable seats in any vehicle! The seat padding is poor and the seating position is terrible!

1 - 20 of 131 Posts