Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Pro-4x with 60,000 mi

So I’ve been noticing this noise coming from what seems my front passenger side wheel area. I’ve only noticed it in 2wd but I’ll check to see if it’s present while in 4 hi and lo tomorrow. It’s a subtle grinding/moaning/droney sound that is most prevalent when I’m turning the wheel one way (I’m thinking to the left) than the other. So that’s while turning left and putting more stress/downforce on the passenger front side. Turing right will not cause the same sound on the driver’s side. Wheels straight=no sound. I thought it might be a wheel bearing but I jacked up the passenger side and there was no play in the wheel like I’ve read it would have if the bearing/hub assembly is bad.
Does it seem like I’m in the early stages of bearing failure or is there something one of you suspension or drivetrain gurus can point me towards?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments!

·
Registered
929 Posts
>> Does it seem like I’m in the early stages of bearing failure ?
Yes.
There won't be any play until it gets worse. Unless you inspect the hub by hand it's difficult to tell if it's bad.
Once the axle shaft is removed, you can feel a dry rough bearing. It's not silky smooth like a good bearing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts