Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with this? Is it covered under the 60k warranty?
Thanks inadvance!

The wife was driving the truck a few weeks back and it threw this.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yeah, absolutely covered under the warranty. IIRC, the emissions warranty on the vehicle is actually something like 80k miles, it should includes all portions of the exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I suppose I will get it up to the stealership tomorrow morning.

I had asked the guys at 4WP to pull the code for me, then declined when they said it was $40.
I got in the truck later and upon giving it a cursory once-over for my valuables, I found a sheet of paper in teh back seat on which they had written the code...it will be interesting to see what turns up! Props to 4WP employee for sneaking that in.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
staying overnight

Dealer has the truck - driver side cat is bad and axle seal is leaking.

Will hopefully pick up tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got a PO430 code, read this article, checked my odometer, and it was at 79978 miles. It was 8 miles to the stealership, I rolled in with 79986 and now they are replacing the cat for free! Sweet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
PO 430 and Rear Axel Seal Leak

My truck just recently hit 93,000 miles and I have the same PO 430 code. The truck still seems to run just fine. I found a couple of bulletins regarding a PO 420 and a rear Axle Leak.

PO 420- service bulletin:NTB-10-045 NHTSA Item Number: 10033344
Nissan: DTC PO420 (TW Catalyst SYS-BI) stroed in the ECM. Confirm this bulletin applies-check the current ECM part number; compare your current ECM part number to Chart A. Replace the Exhaust manifold catalyst; reprogram the ECM

The other bulletin is NHTSA item number: 10033306
suspension: rear: axle: Non-powered axle assembly

·
Registered
880 Posts
IF YOU HAVE A P0420/0430, HAVE IT CHECKED OUT SOONER THAN LATER!

If it is the result of a failing catalytic converter it can be terminal for your engine. This is from personal experience. Had the code come up, didn't take it too seriously as the truck ran fine. 2 weeks later truck slowly started to lose power. Then on week 3 my motor took a crap with 130k kms on the odom. Plugged up cat and the motor sucked up the pieces as it came apart.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the 430 code on my truck right now. Changed the spark plugs, new gas cap which i new that wouldn't help but i tried. I failed inspection and it's going in the shop tuesday. Anybody have a clue as to how much this might cost me??

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
^^^^^ its gonna cost more than you may want to spend as factory cats arent cheap. post on here that you want cats. A few of us have upgraded our exhaust and gone to hi flo magna flow cats etc. I sold mine already. i assume youre over the 8/80?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ya I'm out of warranty. I bought used and didn't get and extended warranty. Kicking myself now for that! How much More are the magna flo cats than factory? If you had to throw out a ballpark estimate what would it be?

·
Registered
880 Posts
MagnaFlow's are a third the price of factory cats. Each factory cat(and we have 4) was honestly like $600. I can't remember exactly, but it was right around there, but I wanna say it was more like 680 each. That was canadian, and only stock replacement is the Nissan factory cats.

That being said though. If you go hi-flow cats, I think you will need to get a tuner. And I think it would have to be Uprev(I would suggest Uprev anyhow) as the handlhelds may not be enough, i'm not 100% sure on that though.

edit: Quick edit, I have 2 Primary cats for sale. They have, so I was told, about 19k miles. PM if interested.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Magnaflow cats are actually pretty cheap. They generally are in the $80 range for the standard catalyst type. Heavy metal ones like Brutal has are maybe double that I think. The regular ones should be fine unless you go FI.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've got p0420, been driving with it for 22k miles now. Previous owner had the pre-cats hollowed out, runs fantastic, the "ECM Reprogram" makes me wonder though, maybe there's a ECM mapping program problem with the VQ40DE ECM running rich. When money is available, I plan on going for the OBX long tube headers and ridding the pre-cats, I'll have to live with the CEL... or take apart my gauge cluster and laser cut a new label for the CEL spot that says. "Everything's fine..."

Every once in a while I OBD scan my truck with the "Torque" OBD android app, android phone owners, def check that out

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks LoopOut and rdrfronty, I will let you know what the shop quotes me. I will go from their as far as ordering aftermarkets or what not. This all could very well just be an o2 sensor. Late last night when there were no cops out to see my expired sticker, I drove around 50 miles with a bottle of Sea Foam in my gas tank staying at 65mph. My truck started to shake every few miles but all other guages read normal. I'm hoping that I just cleaned off an already failing o2 sensor that is now completely bad. That is a much cheaper fix. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
880 Posts
GOOD LUCK. And not sarcastically either. I really hope you come out with your butt hole still intack.

·
Registered
589 Posts
well i have 98000 on my truck and i wrote nissan 2 weeks ago and they called me and said that they'll help me but i have to get it diagnosed at nissan for 95 what a rip off , i know but i'll go monday and see , and then ill call nissan back to see what happens then, they said they 'll help me but how much is what i am wondering , and i asked the person on the phone if they were aware of the leaking axle problem and they said no , i was like really ????????? how could you not ? with the amount of complaints that i seen online , and how many peeps i know that has complained to nissan about this and they never heard anything yet , so i told her to look online at this site and others and review the complaints , she said she would but i wont hold my breath

·
Registered
113 Posts
truck is at the dealarship. the shop i had it at said i had two bad cats and two bad O2 sensors. i think that is a load of crap because it would be extremely rare for a truck that is running fine to have all of that wrong with it. i just need this po420, po430 and now a new po501 code to go away.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok everybody i need 2 catalytic converters. The ones i need to replace are right under the motor.
Anybody have their used ones for sale still?
How many miles are on the cats?
Which cats are they, bottom of motor or pipes?
Bolt-on or weld?

I have considered aftermarket pipes but I'm confused about having them tuned. I hear I need to use Uprev but can somebody tell me what that is exactly, how easy/hard it is to do and how much it is?

Thanks for any help guys!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
you dont need Uprev for replacement aftermarket cats. but with Uprev you can turn off the codes and not have cats

·
Registered
87 Posts
best performance for your dough

best solution to this problem is to pull your pipes off, bang the cats out with long extensions and a hammer, then buy uprev to turn off the cel.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts