Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was talking to a guy at a transmission shop while he was inspecting my vehicle. I mentioned i wanted to buy a plow for my frontier..just for my driveway not for profit. he kinda made a face and said better beef up your transmission..what could he mean by that..do i have options? thinking of getting the fischer homesteader plow

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Your Frontier just isn't rated for a plow. It is a little low on power (low end TQ) and isn't heavy enough to give it a nice base when trying to push a pile of snow.

Your trans is going to burn up since you will either spin the tires or smoke the clutches.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Not much you can do to beef up a transmission.

Manual-stronger clutch, but wouldn't do that till yours is dead.
Auto-Tranny cooler, or larger one. Better fluid.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
IPT, TransGo and Level10 make rebuild kits to beef it up but I still think you are going to kill it and your diffs and etc....

·
Registered
281 Posts
How much are we talking about plowing here? How often?

If I remember correctly most of the wear/tear you get from plowing is the constant shifting between forward and reverse, at least with an automatic. If you're not doing it that often I don't think it would be a big issue.

Besides, people do this stuff with 1/2 ton trucks all the time in Iowa and they don't have much beefier transmissions than these frontiers do.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
a few have put small plows on and I have never seen any complaints.If its for home use I say go for it but I wouldnt be out plowing mall parking lots with it.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I would do it.I almost put 1 on mine last winter and wish I had with all the snow we got.It might happen this year

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think you'll be fine, just don't be in a hurry. Running it in 4lo should reduce some of the stress on the transmission as well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
:laugh: I have no input on this I just liked the title of your thread :laugh:

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would do it. Just don't over do it on the size of the blade. Only issue I see is the weight of the truck. Put some extra weight in the box when you go and you will be fine. Being more northernly located, plows on trucks of all sizes are a common thing around here. I don't know if they have to custom build them, but I have seen lots of Tacoma's running blades. Just don't go ramming into piles, and trying to push too much. But I can't really see a problem trying. Worst that happens is the truck can't push it and it spins, or it grips but can't push it. So just don't crazy on the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
281 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts