Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the problem.I have a 07 frontier 4x4 4.0L.I started having problems with the truck not accelerating over 60 mph and rooms not going over 2 grand.Service engine light was on so had it checked and it said it was the 02 sensor on bank 1.So I ordered new one and replaced but that did not fix my problem.Any ideas on what else it could be?Truck runs fine besides this issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe a plugged catalytic converter? Or a fuel delivery issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Going to be 10 years old this year and an O2 issue causing limp mode? It could be a couple different things but replacing the cat is a cheap safe bet anyway. There should be two sensors, may have to just replace the other one as well. A fuel issue is possible but I would think that would trigger a different code.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
clear the CEL? Any codes still? not going above 2000rpm is a symptom of a bad 02 sensor, you're in limp mode so you don't melt the CAT.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the sensor replaced but it's still not running right.There is no more codes.Was going down interstate yesterday and it started running normal but after about 5 miles it went back to running like crap.I can push it to the floor and it's like it has a govern on it.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Bad 02 sensor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the one that was showing up on scan which was sensor 1 bank 1.Nothing else is showing up.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Well I don't know man. As far as I know usually when you have an o2 sensor take a hard dump it'll put it into a limp mode so you don't cook anything. Very weird you have no cel or stored codes.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Bad 02 sensor.

I don't know, I ripped off all four wired from my drivers side o2 sensor while running
a cable a few weeks ago. It was late, I was tired and had to drive from Florida to
Norh Carolina early next morning, so I said "to hell with it, I'll fix it when I get
back". The truck threw a code about 5 minutes into the trip, but other than that, ran
fine for the whole trip, up and back.

So I'm going for fuel delivery or exhaust back pressure... or of course a clogged air
filter. Although bad fuel could be there too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I've filled up like 3 times since this has been going on.Air filter is clean.I guess it could be a fuel pump

·
Registered
376 Posts
U think it could be a clogged catalytic converter?

You could probably take it to a muffler shop and get them to cut out the cat,
weld in a filler pipe and take it for a drive to see how it runs. They can
always weld the cat back in if you want. Probably run you $50. or so if
business is slow it'd be way cheaper than a service centers price to run a
full diagnostic.

I assume you're reluctant to take it to a shop because you can't afford it
or you don't have one you trust.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a good shop I trust around here plus if it's not throwing any codes they are just gonna charge me a arm and a leg to replace everything it could be because they really didn't know.Lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
Also on cutting the cat off I thought it was designed to run off of back pressure?

Yeah, but it's back pressure as opposed to massive back pressure. If you're like... everything you say is wrong, well...
nothing any of us can say is right unless one of your preassigned goons vetted one of ... then we're only right if you've
predetermiined that you're right... which mean's that anyone that disagrees with you must be wrong, which means
you are either a god or a fool//// my vote? A fool.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, but it's back pressure as opposed to massive back pressure. If you're like... everything you say is wrong, well...
nothing any of us can say is right unless one of your preassigned goons vetted one of ... then we're only right if you've
predetermiined that you're right... which mean's that anyone that disagrees with you must be wrong, which means
you are either a god or a fool//// my vote? A fool.[/QUOTE
Always gotta be that one jackass in the bunch.I wasn't disagreeing with you or anyone I was simply asking a question.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Excessive back pressure can be tested with an exhaust back pressure tester. The front oxygen sensor is removed and the tester is screwed into the O2 sensor bung in the pipe while the exhaust is cold. The engine is started and the tester will show if there is excessive resistance or not.

Fuel pressure can be tested using a fuel pressure gauge, but you need the right tool to disconnect the fuel line from the left bank fuel rail and the proper T-fitting for the gauge. Fuel pressure should be 50 psi on the VQ40DE.

An oxygen sensor codes doesn't necessarily mean that the sensor is bad. It could be the circuits between the sensor harness connector and the ECM or even the ECM, itself. It can also be triggered by an excessive lean or rich condition or a misfire or exhaust system leaks. Proper testing of an oxygen sensor code is listed in the Engine Control chapter of the factory service manual.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine was having the same symptoms. Wouldn't go over 2K RPMs and anything more than a hair on the throttle it would bog out. Only code that came up was MAF performance circuit P0101. Would also do it without throwing a code. I did the re-learn procedure 2 weeks ago and has been fine since

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
this sounds similar to an issue I had on my Hyundai...
1) it was very finicky about O2 sensors. Car threw a code and was running rough. Garage first tried using a good Bosch sensor (listed to be one for the car) and it didn't like it. They had to get a Hyundai OE sensor (dealer first tried giving them an aftermarket OEM but it didn't like that one either, parts guy told them there's like 10-15% that HAVE to have "special" (Calif compliant) sensor or it throws a fit).
2) had a leak develop on the intake manifold @ 97k mi/9rys. it would idle fine, could rev up to 4k with no load (above that it just wouldn't have it) and on the road there was no power above 1500/1800rpm. Occurred while I was driving down the highway on my way home... so went straight to the dealer. They'd seen maybe a handful in 15 yrs.

The plastic upper intake to lower manifold is sealed with a rubber O-ring style gasket.... it may have cracked, letting in unmetered air and then the engine leans out, sensors see lean condition and limp the engine to save it from grenading...

Its someplace to look...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts