Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I have a 2002 Frontier CC ShortBed Auto 2wd, I just purchased new ujoints and a new center bearing for the drive shaft, I searched and found threads mainly relating to the ujoints on 2nd gens. I'm pretty sure i can do this myself but I would like to know the process 1st before I dive in. I'm going to try to do this tonight as my center bearing is shot. If anyone can "enlighten" me with the process or refer me to a thread that shows me how to do so I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
The U-joints are simple. As long as you have a vise, assorted sockets and possibly a press, you should be good. If you don't have a press, a hammer can be used but be careful not to tweak anything.

The carrier bearing is another beast thou. I am not sure how you would do that.

I would imagine that the U-joints and carrier bearings are a similar design between the different auto makes so you could probably do a google search to find some DIYs and How-To's.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just got out from looking under my truck and the ujoints do seem simple, the carrier bearing is my main concern and I just want to do everything at once.
Now for the knowledge on the carrier bearing...Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
The drive line was balanced and aligned to each other at the factory and if you keep it all in line will make less chance of a vibration problem. You can use chalk or crayon to mark the trans to the yoke to the etc. all the way to the rear. There were posts of owners who didn't know to do this and had aggravation because of it. Good luck I'm sure you will be fine.

Clint

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thanks!, Now do I need any special tools to put the new one in?

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
To be honest I didn't have to do this repair when I had my 2002 Frontier.
I'm not sure if you need a press, I wouldn't think so from experience years ago but could be wrong on this.
As long as you get the two halfs of the shaft and all other pieces exactly back as they were you'll do fine.

Clint

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks clint, from what i've been reading I don't really need a press, just a vice or a c-clamp, but it looks like I might need a puller to get the remainder of the bearing off the splines of the shaft. Anyone know?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would download your factory service manual (see the sticky at the top of the forum) and read the PD section. There are several special tools needed. Your local parts store may have some of them as loaner tools.

Good luck!

Heath

1 - 8 of 8 Posts