Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started noticing a clunking when giving the truck gas, or when giving it sudden gas when coming off of coasting. I got under the truck and checked the drive shafts. It seems there's a lot of play where the shaft goes into the transmissions (transfer case included)

It's definitely not the U joints. What sort of job am I looking at? Is this fixable mysel? Or do I need special tools like bearing puller and presses. I've done a lot of work myself on vehicles, including engine rebuilds and clutch installs, so drive line work isn't new to me. But I've never worked on an automatic.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
How about some info about your truck like mileage?
I'd think clunking is u-joints more than anything. Pull the shade and check the joints to be certain.
I'd let a driveline shop replace bearings or other parts that need specialized tools to measure lash/ load etc.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about some info about your truck like mileage?
I'd think clunking is u-joints more than anything. Pull the shade and check the joints to be certain.
I'd let a driveline shop replace bearings or other parts that need specialized tools to measure lash/ load etc.
It has about 94k miles on it. Transmission fluid and transmission replaced at 60k for the radiator recall thing. I'll see if I can get under and get some video.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
Same mileage when my front u-joint went bad.

Clint

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
That's good, I guess. Aren't U joints easier to replace?
Yes, they are and if you prefer you can pull the drive shaft and have a shop swap the joints.

Clint

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had to change my u-joints as well, and the center bearing. It wasn't much after the 94K miles mark too. Instead of replacing just one, your better off changing all of them and the center bearing.

If your near a shop to replace them, it might be worth it being they have the press tools. since you do a lot of work yourself, you can get by doing it with a good vice and a big hammer. I did it myself as well.

I tried to fix joint at a time, but it wound up being the least expected one (last one changed out). I.E - the u-joint I thought was fine was actually bad - and got rid of the clunk noise.

Big difference when they get replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts