381 - 400 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Reactions: Airhart13

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Heat and sun dont seem to be an issue with it here in Phoenix. Rock chips are the biggest issue I've had on past vehicles. I hear to do it on a warmer day as it expands when it gets warm and can cause peeling. View attachment 312223
View attachment 312224 View attachment 312225
I’ve been thinking about debadging, just don’t like the looks of those big chrome letters. Might do this instead, did you tape it off somewhat? Obviously taping off larger areas as taillight or taking tailgate off but I’m wondering about right around letters. I’ve only done this a couple times on objects I never had to peel away excess.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We get a little desperate for any form of precipitation over here :D
lol,moved here,dfw area from PA bout 8 yrs go ,love it,the warmer/hot weather,,oh and no state income tax is a pus,,lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
I’ve been thinking about debadging, just don’t like the looks of those big chrome letters. Might do this instead, did you tape it off somewhat? Obviously taping off larger areas as taillight or taking tailgate off but I’m wondering about right around letters. I’ve only done this a couple times on objects I never had to peel away excess.
depending on age and color of vehicle debadging could, leave a 'shadow' of it

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yea I forgot about that.. plus it is a dark color so it’s very possible.. plastidip it is!
fwiw make sure ya use a high quality masking tape or painters tape to avoid bleeding edges,don't get that dollar store carp

Reactions: MiniDuti

·
Registered
353 Posts
I taped off a large square around each word, but no fine precision taping. It all peeled off perfectly around the letters and peeled right off my tailgate. Any overspray I just wiped with a microfiber towel and life was good

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have a project starting soon on a 98,prolly doin a 00/01 fronterra build and ill prolly white plasti dip the whole thing cept black bumpers,but will wait till mid summer when pollen and rain chances are gone here in north tx

·
Registered
108 Posts
Spent the afternoon applying spray coats of plasti-dip to front grill. What a waste of time; product did not bond worth a damn. Only good point was no damage done; never again.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Sorry to hear it was a waste of time, I know prepping for something like this really blows when it doesn’t work out..

What was weather like there, I’ve done this 2 times .. front bumper and grille on Silverado and grille on my sons HHR and they came out nice, during the warmer months!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've had issues with texture and hold when attempting to spray in even the slightest amount of wind, if you are doing it in an unshielded area maybe? Idk anything about humidity, either.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Washed mine pretty hard today with a power sprayer. Unsure of the psi but everything seems to have held on well grill and emblems. Promising at least.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab
15 Posts
After seeing all your pictures I have already convinced myself I’m going to Plasti Dip my front grille, chrome letters on the tail gate, emblem on the tail gate, rims, and maybe even the rear bumper!
Love that flat black way better than the chrome. Looks so sharp, and seems easy to do.
Question-
Do you need a spray gun to apply? Or just spray out of the aerosol can?

·
Registered
353 Posts
After seeing all your pictures I have already convinced myself I’m going to Plasti Dip my front grille, chrome letters on the tail gate, emblem on the tail gate, rims, and maybe even the rear bumper!
Love that flat black way better than the chrome. Looks so sharp, and seems easy to do.
Question-
Do you need a spray gun to apply? Or just spray out of the aerosol can?
Aerosol is the way I've done it for grille and emblems. I wouldnt recommend doing your rims as it probably won't hold up to that abuse, but I suppose if it doesnt you can always just peel it off and redo it or try something else!

381 - 400 of 404 Posts