Nissan Frontier Forum banner

361 - 380 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Haven't tried the Rustoleum stuff but I've dipped the front and rear emblems, front and rear license plate frames and the rear bumper. I tried the grill but twice it peeled within a month (vinyl now). Oh well I like the black emblems and smoked bumper, this stuff can be great! ::grin::

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Haven't tried the Rustoleum stuff but I've dipped the front and rear emblems, front and rear license plate frames and the rear bumper. I tried the grill but twice it peeled within a month (vinyl now). Oh well I like the black emblems and smoked bumper, this stuff can be great! ::grin::
I agree. I wish Nissan or an aftermarket offered the badging in a dark nickel color.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
How much plastidip did you put on the grill ? Im surprised it peeled off.... I put a full can on each rim, last year, and its holding up really well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much plastidip did you put on the grill ? Im surprised it peeled off.... I put a full can on each rim, last year, and its holding up really well.
The first time I used 1 can on the grill and front badge together. The second time I used about 1.25 cans on just the grill. Both times I scrubbed everything with soap and water and then wiped with alcohol letting it dry completely before applying and both times it lifted in the same spot shown in this pic within 3-4 weeks.

The rear bumper and badges are going on a year with no issues though. When it works it works well!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got the emblems done, hopefully the rims this weekend/week coming up, then ill get some pics posted for everyones enjoyment. Just wondering has anyone done the fenders and or bumpers on a gen1? I hate the faded gray fenders on my black truck! If i try this, is there any special prep for the plastic on the fenders vs the emblems?
If you do your fender flares would you post some pics.

Disregard above

PYRO I saw the pics you posted a few pages later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just in case it has entered been said there is a plastidip website.

Dipyourcar.com
They have all different colors or plastidip paints along with the glossifiers & metallic sprays. Along with special spring systems for plastidip paints.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had my rims dipped for over two months and took the truck out off roading for the first time yesterday. The terrain was very rocky and brushed up against the rims several times if not more. The dip held up nicely without any marks or rips so to speak. Everything looks as good as new.

I've also dipped all of the plastic trim on the truck except for my handles. Everything is holding up nicely, even the plastic around the bed that my tonneau cover constantly rubs against. The only thing to note is that two weeks ago when I was waxing the truck, some of Meguiar's ultimate was dripped onto the dipped plastic on the bumper. I didn't think I would have to worry so I didn't wipe it off right away. The wax ended up eating through the dip and made a little hole that I need to fix.

I dipped everything with 7-8 coats. I really like how things look and have received a lot of compliments. Highly recommend people do it that are considering it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Front Grille, rear emblems

Plasti dipped the Front grille with 6 coats of black and medium coat of silver metalizer. Rear emblems was 5 coats red with light silver metalizer. This is my first test of this stuff, but I think it's pretty easy to use and easy to fix the mistakes. I'd like to do the wheels and maybe black out the logos.

IMG_6832.jpg

IMG_6831.jpg

IMG_6745.jpg

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6737.jpg

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sooooooo, While I have done Plasti Dip on other vehicles, I am thinking about doing some on the Frontier too.
Not sure how much black I want to add to my truck. Anyone have thoughts for other colors of Plasti to go with the Forged Copper paint on mine?

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I painted this a while back, hope it holds at least a season

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
289 Posts
Before, during, and after... Black PlastiDiped the chrome on the grill, did the center badge in Duplicolor shadow chrome, it will look better when I do the headlights with the shadow chrome later. ... The clips that hold the chrome to the insert/backer are a little tricky, but I managed not to break any off. Nice heavy coats of spray after a thinner tack coat. I used most of two cans, so it will be easy to peel later if I decide I don't like it.

Attachments

Reactions: Wyo Wolverine

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Never used Plastidip. Curious as the advantage or disadvantage over paint.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Never used Plastidip. Curious as the advantage or disadvantage over paint.
Advantages;
Removable, when applied thick enough, it can be peeled off very easily. yet it is rugged enough to last several years without peeling (also if properly applied)., Sticks well to most metals, chrome, and plastics.
Easy to apply, just clean the part well, start with a thin layer, then thicker coats every half hour or so until you have at least three thick coats for best peel removal later.
Very forgiving to apply. even passes and thick coats will self blend as it dries.
Resists rock chips and sand.

Disadvantages;
Finishes tend to be a satin look, even though they offer a clear "glossifyer", they all end up satin looking.
If not applied thick enough, it's hard to peel, and may blister or edge peel from weather or carwashes.
Lifespan of finish depends on where it's used.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Resurrecting this thread, it’s been a couple of years since the last addition. This thread is a great resource for noobs like me to research and get a lot of questions answered, sometimes without having to ask them!

Any new additions in the last couple of years?

FWIW, I’m looking at doing my chrome rear bumper, paint matched front bumper, grill and rear lettering. Plan on keeping the burgers chrome :)

Might even do my tool box!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Still looking good after two years. I even plastidipped the sides of my HEO T3 RTT overland trailer...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Resurrecting this thread, it’s been a couple of years since the last addition. This thread is a great resource for noobs like me to research and get a lot of questions answered, sometimes without having to ask them!

Any new additions in the last couple of years?

FWIW, I’m looking at doing my chrome rear bumper, paint matched front bumper, grill and rear lettering. Plan on keeping the burgers chrome :)

Might even do my tool box!
Chrome rear bumper is not too hard. Getting at all the clips for the plastic parts was "fun" but I like the over all look of the black on the back bumper. Six coats deep, no scratches od tears after almost two years... I also did my lettering after this image...

·
Registered
289 Posts
The small spot on the T is actually bird dropping, not a peel... Note the relocated 7-pin plug too... (that's in another thread)

361 - 380 of 404 Posts