Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've spent the last month or so pulling the heads off this 2000 3.3L frontier with a blown head gasket. (Got it for way cheap) Today I went to install the heads, my old man was helping me and by the grace of the Gods he managed to drop a plastic freakin straw into the block/head mating surface oil port hole.

If I'm not mistaken, it leads right to the oil pan. Removing said oil pan is not something I particularly wanna get into as I dont have a hoist or the patience for another project like that. (pretty decent undertaking for my one car garage)
I've tried flushing gas through the hole to maybe work it towards the drain plug, with no luck. I've also tried relentlessly using compressed air.

Thoughts? Advice? Leave it and cross my fingers or bend over and dive in?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did that once, but it was on a piece of industrial machinery though, not an engine. I was able to get it out using a vacuum, basically I cobbled together an adapter and reduced the vacuum hose down small enough so that the suction was concentrated on just the hole i dropped it down.

This was a special pneumatic vacuum designed for oil though, not a typical shop vac that the average person would have. But that might be worth a try.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
If the straw is visible, maybe a wire with some slight bends can be inserted into it to grab it, then it could be withdrawn. If you don't remove it, I'd say time to do the oil pan - if that's where that passage leads.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Do you have an inspection camera? Mine is a cheap ACDelco & it came with a couple little hook attachments you might could use to retrieve it.

ACDelco ARZ604P 6V Alkaline-Battery Inspection Camera, w/ 8 mm Camera cable+Hook+magnet+mirror https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P643LM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ASvBDbY6M9KN7

(Damn, I think mine was less than $100 when I bought it!)

I cobbled together an adapter and reduced the vacuum hose down small enough so that the suction was concentrated on just the hole i dropped it down.
I remember having to retrieve something using a similar setup. I think I ended up with a step down ultimately with a drinking straw at the end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy! OP here... forum wouldn't let me log back in on original account. Anywho, I got that god damn thing out about 10 minutes ago.
I ended up putting the drain plug back in, filling with gas from the hole through which the straw fell, then draining it all at once hoping itd pull the straw towards the hole. It did. About 2 hours later I got it sitting right on top of the plug hole, and I fished it out with some wire.

Thanks for your help guys!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Your Ol’ Man owes you, big time. Even if it’s nothing more than having to hear your “remember when you dropped that straw straight down....”:cool:

Glad you’re sorted.

·
Super Moderator
3,047 Posts
Congrats. Can’t even imagine the probability (as has been said above) that that could happen, one in a thousand shot a straw could fall in there. Glad you got it out!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congrats. Can’t even imagine the probability (as has been said above) that that could happen, one in a thousand shot a straw could fall in there. Glad you got it out!
I've had it happen. One of my old cars developed rust along the leading edge of the hood, and when I got my last car I decided to spray some oil into the gap between the hood sheetmetal and the underlying framework. The straw shot off in there and lodged in the gap, where it remains to this day. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Do you have an inspection camera? Mine is a cheap ACDelco & it came with a couple little hook attachments you might could use to retrieve it.

ACDelco ARZ604P 6V Alkaline-Battery Inspection Camera, w/ 8 mm Camera cable+Hook+magnet+mirror https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P643LM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ASvBDbY6M9KN7

(Damn, I think mine was less than $100 when I bought it!)

I remember having to retrieve something using a similar setup. I think I ended up with a step down ultimately with a drinking straw at the end.
now they make a cam that works with your cellphone... for $35!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
LennyG
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing