Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my rear diff oil today and found 1/4 inch shards / bits of plastic in the oil catcher. I thought maybe it could be from the gasket material but doubt it. The pieces are black and I noticed one had a bit of a cross hatch pattern on it. I did not clean my pan after changing the manual tranny oil yesterday but I think I would have noticed them.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
is this the first time changing your diff oil?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
well usually they advice you to change your oil soon when you first get it so that way it can clean up all that crap...so i dont think its something to worry about really, but lets see what others say on the forum too.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I bet its just gasket material that some over zealous assembly worker went a little too far on. Theres nothing plastic in the rear ends, so it cant be from that.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had a bunch of shards in my both diffs and my transfer case after 45000 miles, i'm pretty sure that all of the nissan diffs and tcases grind for a bit on the frontiers for the first while

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there anything plastic in manual transmissions? I think it may be from that. It's not gasket material it's way too hard. 1/4 x 1/4" bits of plastic doesn't sound normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts