Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up an 05 Crew Cab and want to upgrade the bass. It already has a decent sony headunit and rockfords in all the doors. Eventually I am going to get an amp for the door speakers. But for right now I am looking at adding some bass.

The problem is I am only the lovely island of Guam...where everything cost 3x as it does in the states.... There are 2 audio shops on island and both want around 250 for a box to fit under the rear seat. One carries the RF 8in powered sub but they want 300 dollars for it. So I am in a bind.

Either build a box (which I have never done before, but have the skills to do) or just get a 10in powered sub for cheap. Now, I am only going to be on the island for 3 years and will be selling the truck when I leave so I am not looking to spend a lot. I am not looking to shake the windows off the car next to me, just something enough for the cab.

So when it comes down to it...are there any plans out there for box for under the back seat or behind it?

or

Does anyone have any reviews or thoughts on the slim underseat subs? I know this is a long winded unorganized post, but just looking for some input.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I assume AF or Navy? Anyway, I personally wouldn't bother since you just got the truck and already have a plan to not take it with you when you leave. This is the SNCO in me but I would take that money and put it in TSP (assuming you are military).

Anyway, if you are "itching" for something, take that money and take SCUBA classes. I don't think I could put any money (outside of regular maintenance) into a vehicle that I planned specifically not to keep.

But, to answer your question... I ordered the single sub long box from these guys:

Subwoofer Boxes - Truck Sub Boxes - Nissan - FRONTIER - 2005-2013 Frontier Crew - Sound Off Audio, Inc.

And I am happy with it. I have experience building many custom sub boxes over the years but the specific angles and odd corners of the location for this box (and my getting older) let me to decide to just go this route, and I am happy with it. I put my own Kicker DVC 10" in there with an amp under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AF, and thanks for the SNCO advise....although I have been in over 15 years and my TSP is fine... Like I said looking to do this cheap. So that is either build my own box and throw a cheap sub or amp in it, or get a cheap rockville 10" powered sub to throw under the seat.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Haha ya, I figured you were a young guy. I'm at 17 myself. How much is shipping from the states on a sub box? My whole setup, including replacing the speakers, the sub, wiring kit, box, and amp was around $700, half of that just the amp alone. I opted to keep the factory head unit in lieu of a better quality sound from an aftermarket one because at the time of installation I was stationed at Lackland so theft was a primary concern. I would recommend replacing the head unit if theft is not a concern though, since the sound quality is so poor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Young guy? WTH You have been in a year longer lol. Anyways...shipping a sub box over here would be twice the cost of the box itself...

That's why I was trying to find plans to build one myself and throw some cheap ebay stuff in it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you're just looking to get a little something in the truck, i'd recommend going with the underseat sub...

Best underseat: Kicker Hideaway
Runner up: Probably the Kenwood underseat

Kicker is more expensive but is a 150w 8" and sounds really good for what it is.

Building a box isnt terribly hard but you'll want to do it right and do it well so it actually sounds good with the sub mounted in it. I'm going to have a box built for mine if the cost isnt too high - visiting a shop tomorrow to check prices. If the price is too high, then i'm going to be going with the kicker hideaway for my truck.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I just picked up an 05 Crew Cab and want to upgrade the bass. It already has a decent sony headunit and rockfords in all the doors. Eventually I am going to get an amp for the door speakers. But for right now I am looking at adding some bass.

The problem is I am only the lovely island of Guam...where everything cost 3x as it does in the states.... There are 2 audio shops on island and both want around 250 for a box to fit under the rear seat. One carries the RF 8in powered sub but they want 300 dollars for it. So I am in a bind.

Either build a box (which I have never done before, but have the skills to do) or just get a 10in powered sub for cheap. Now, I am only going to be on the island for 3 years and will be selling the truck when I leave so I am not looking to spend a lot. I am not looking to shake the windows off the car next to me, just something enough for the cab.

So when it comes down to it...are there any plans out there for box for under the back seat or behind it?

or

Does anyone have any reviews or thoughts on the slim underseat subs? I know this is a long winded unorganized post, but just looking for some input.
Found this one, not sure what shipping cost would be
Audio Enhancers NFC55C10 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 2005-2015 Subwoofer Sub Speaker Box

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
IMO Kicker hideaway would probably be your best bet tasking into consideration what you're looking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No way anyone is shipping a box that big out here.

I think I am just going to go with a Skar Audio 10 and slim box that by the measurements should fit under my back seat. Might have to massage the bottom of the seat or raise it up a little. I feel a little apprehinsive about getting one of those powered subs like the hideaway and what not because I have never actually heard one in person.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought this one;
I don't know if you can get it, though. It fits snuggly under the back passenger side seat.

I'm powering it with this amp;
I'm new to subwoofers and learning how to tune them, but this little setup seems to really pack a punch considering how little I paid for it. I need to take it to a shop and get them to show me how to tune it, but I've been able to get some really clean bass from it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought this one; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQTU3QC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know if you can get it, though. It fits snuggly under the back passenger side seat.

I'm powering it with this amp; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S4XNEO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm new to subwoofers and learning how to tune them, but this little setup seems to really pack a punch considering how little I paid for it. I need to take it to a shop and get them to show me how to tune it, but I've been able to get some really clean bass from it.
Right on, i do like the price of that set up and cant go wrong with pioneer, thanks for sharing ?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This is the one I am going to get along with a 5ch Amp. Its good to know you got the Pioneer to fit, this one is the same height, just a little smaller on the sides. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
520 Posts
My stock HU sux so sound qual is low. I tried to keep this as low buck as possible. I can shake my mirrors perty good however not like the two twelves in my trunk in 1992. Oh how I miss the old Rock & Rap

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stock sub mods.

I used the stock sub box that came with truck and experimented on it with couple different 8" subwoofers until found that a Sundown Audio SD-2 8 D2 8" 300W RMS Dual 2-Ohm of likes .33cubic ft of space and that's about what the stock plastic enclosure is. But a JL W3 8" fits without modding body, the sundown is a huge speaker next to the JL but fits with cutting parts of the top and bottom out. Then mold some mesh over your holes and fiberglass it up a couple times and sand smooth after happy, can carpet or paint. I dumped in some left over bedliner, quart and a half, and moved it around until everything covered and firm enough to stay put, let it dry for a few days outside and installed, it will blow your mind the an eight in a tiny enclosure can pound out the bass like it does, the results were way beyond what anybody figured would happen, it was a gamble I took because I didn't and wasn't going to give up any of my underseat storage and The cost was probably 300 bucks including the sub, but the rewards were huge, deep base you can feel and that sub will take almost anything you throw at it but you'll need a lot of power to work, I think sundown said a minimum of 300 watts and there not joking. That's 300 watts RMS not peek. Couple of pictures of mockup and completed sub.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts