Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for new speakers for my 98 for a while now and since my drivers side speaker bit the dust today, I am on the verge of ordering new ones. I am not going to get anything too special because I just don't have the money right now. I think I have singled it down to two different speakers which are in my price range though. I am going to go with either the Pioneer TS-A1671R Pioneer TS-A1671R (tsa1671r) 6-3/4" Speakers Car Speakers Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix or the Kicker DS60 Kicker DS60 6-1/2" Speakers Car Speakers Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

If anyone has had any experience with either of these, let me know whether its good or bad. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wolfman, do you have them hooked up to an amp or just the head unit?

This is the head unit I have, JVC KD-G420 CD receiver with MP3/WMA playback at Crutchfield.com
It is a few years old but it has worked well for me so I am not really looking to upgrade. Would it give enough power to the speakers without an amp or would that just sound like crap?

Sorry I am a noob at audio stuff.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You dont really need anything special as an amp since u wont be needing anything powerful. You are just doing you two door speakers right? If so you only really need a cheap 200 watt single channel amp. That would be plunty for those speakers and put you right at their rms if you wire them properly.

EDIT: never mind, mis read the sight information. rms is 50 each, so your hu should actually do ok with them. But again if you want to amp them you dont need anything big.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
ok now i have to step in and tell the OP not to listen to this guy.
first he says your hu is "a little weak" then suguest u get a "really cheap SINGLE ch amp"
YOUR WRONG!!

the HU the OP has, has the same power as just about every other aftermarket HU. 20-22 W RMS
which is fine for eather of the two speakers your looking at.

personally i would go with Boston Acoustics S65 6-1/2" Speakers Car Speakers Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix
i just like to stay away from what can be bought from best buy or walmart. my brother has some of these speakers but are 6x9s run off the hu and sound great and get loud.

and if you want an amp your going to need a 2ch amp
single ch amps are for subs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have pionner for midrange (6 1/2 & 6x9) and kicker subs ( CompVR 12's) in my dodge.. i like how it sounds... dont know much about sound,, i just like livin' loud lol

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ok now i have to step in and tell the OP not to listen to this guy.
first he says your hu is "a little weak" then suguest u get a "really cheap SINGLE ch amp"
YOUR WRONG!!

the HU the OP has, has the same power as just about every other aftermarket HU. 20-22 W RMS
which is fine for eather of the two speakers your looking at.

personally i would go with Boston Acoustics S65 6-1/2" Speakers Car Speakers Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix
i just like to stay away from what can be bought from best buy or walmart. my brother has some of these speakers but are 6x9s run off the hu and sound great and get loud.

and if you want an amp your going to need a 2ch amp
single ch amps are for subs.
I have heard a lot of good things about Boston Acoustics, I do not know how I missed those speakers. Thanks a lot, that is pretty much exactly what I am looking for. How do the lows on these speakers sound just by running off the power from the HU? I will eventually be getting a sub(I have actually been looking at a Boston Acoustics sub, so these should compliment each other nicely) but I would like for whatever I buy to be able to provide some decent bass until then.

well the answer to my original question is neither lol I just ordered a set of Polk db651 speakers Polk Audio db651 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers — for 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

The reviews were all good for it, a couple reviews said the people had HU's with the same power as mine and they sound good and there were even a few 1st gen frontier owners who said that they fit perfectly. I guess I will see in a few days if they work or not. Thanks for the help guys, sorry I didn't use any of your advice lol

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
if you dont want to run an amp go with the pioneers. they are 35wRMS and thats about as low as your going to get and your deck should run them just fine. actually, i was going to recommend them before i even clicked on the link to see that they are what you had picked out. the BA's would be just fine as well. the polk's, not so much. there 60wRMS so you would need an amp for those. now, the only thing to keep in mind is if your going to run a sub you want it to be around 4-6x the RMS than your fill speakers. so for a sub you will be looking at 150-225wRMS give or take.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Okay, now I gotta chime in here.

First of all peewee great pick getting the Polks. :thumbsup:
Polks are one the most overlooked and underrated speakers on the market.
I've been rocking them in my house and my vehicles for over 25 years and never been disappointed, ever.

Second the DB651s are the same speaker I've had in my last two vehicles (for rear speakers).
Current set is getting 75w each from my amp and handle it no problem.

Now to get to the facts for you, my last set ran off a 22watts RMS Sony headunit and they sounded just fine.
They were plenty loud (for me) and very clean as all Polks are.

You should be just fine running them off the headunit depending on how loud you want to go.

If you find that they just aren't loud enough, then yeah, you could easily amp them with a nice 2 channel amp.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You're not going to have a problem with sound if you're speakers aren't receiving max RMS power. The only problem you'll run in to is when you get a sub, you may run in to sound balancing issues. I've run 100W RMS speakers off of stock HU and there was no problem. I've also run 50W RMS speakers amped and there's not problem.

The issues you run into is clarity at volume. If you like to listen to it loud like I do, then you'll probably want to amp your speakers. In the end, it's personal preference. If you like the sound of it unamped, then keep it that way. If you plan on getting a moderate or larger sub, chances are, you'll want to amp it to be able to balance.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, just an update. I got the speakers monday and installed them. Crutchfield sent me everything I needed and very good instuctions that covered everything from getting the door panel off to installing the speakers. All I really had to do was unplug the harness from the old speakers and plug the new harness in. The Polks sound 10 times better than the old speakers, which turned out to be the Pioneers which I had originally made this thread about. Good thing I didn't go with them lol Thanks to everyone for advice and such, I will probably amp the speakers eventually when I add a sub, but for right now, I couldn't be happier.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
That's good to hear <----- HA! . . pun intended.

Anyway, how's the volume?
Does the headunit put out enough juice to crank it up?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's good to hear <----- HA! . . pun intended.

Anyway, how's the volume?
Does the headunit put out enough juice to crank it up?
I haven't turned them up too loud yet, I wanted to give them a couple days to break in a little bit. It may be mental, but it seems like they are louder at certain volumes than the old ones, though. I guess I will find out about the power and stuff here in a day or so. It would be nice to be able to actually hear my music with the windows rolled down lol

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have a sunroof and my AC belt slips every time I turn the air on, which is more annoying than my music(for me and anyone around me). Every time my foot touches the brakes, my right had goes straight to the volume knob, whether there are people near me or not, so nobody gets bothered with my music.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
If you have no intentions of adding an amp, I would look for a 2ohm speaker. The factory speakers are 2ohm. A 4ohm will not play as loud. I didn't look at any of the recommendations to see what their resistance is, but here are 2 I would recommend.

1st pic.
Infinity Kappa 63.9i (639i) 6-3/4" Speakers Car Speakers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

A little cheaper.
Infinity Kappa 652.9i (6529i) 6-3/4" Speakers Car Speakers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well the answer to my original question is neither lol I just ordered a set of Polk db651 speakers Polk Audio db651 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers — for 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

The reviews were all good for it, a couple reviews said the people had HU's with the same power as mine and they sound good and there were even a few 1st gen frontier owners who said that they fit perfectly. I guess I will see in a few days if they work or not. Thanks for the help guys, sorry I didn't use any of your advice lol
I was in a hurry lol I have already ordered these and installed them. Thanks though, maybe that will help someone else in the future when they are shopping for speakers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts