Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I guys I spent the better part of last night and just now trying to find a thread on the Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD. I'm looking for installation photos, want to know if I need an installation kit (the site just says "it fits" and to use factory hardware), and step by step how to bypass the parking brake to watch dvd player while driving (the right way without a switch, relay maybe?) in a 05 Frontier CC.

:comphead:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ok I guys I spent the better part of last night and just now trying to find a thread on the Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD. I'm looking for installation photos, want to know if I need an installation kit (the site just says "it fits" and to use factory hardware), and step by step how to bypass the parking brake to watch dvd player while driving (the right way without a switch, relay maybe?) in a 05 Frontier CC.

:comphead:

There are a few ways you can do the install. 1. dash kit, in which all you will use is the double din trim piece. 2. I mounted my Alpine W-505 using the trim piece that came with the headunit.

Either way, you will use the factory mounting brackets to mount the headunit to the truck.

As for the bypass, I would recommend you check out AVIC411.com They have tons of pioneer info there.

I hope this helps..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have a description of each wire by color what they are in the two factory radio harnesses? I'm trying to match up wires in the pioneer harness to factory wires. Some are obvious like yellow battery and black ground but there's a black wire in the factory harness and a black wire in the pioneer harness with a connector to ground to metal. Do I do this or connect to factory black wire that was in the factory harness? I also need to know what everything else is in the factory harness by color.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does anyone have a description of each wire by color what they are in the two factory radio harnesses? I'm trying to match up wires in the pioneer harness to factory wires. Some are obvious like yellow battery and black ground but there's a black wire in the factory harness and a black wire in the pioneer harness with a connector to ground to metal. Do I do this or connect to factory black wire that was in the factory harness? I also need to know what everything else is in the factory harness by color.
Don't use the factory harness, for the reason that if you ever want to or need to take the aftermarket radio out and replace with factory you can't. Go out spend the $20 on wire harness and just match the colors up. Its easier and safer.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't use the factory harness, for the reason that if you ever want to or need to take the aftermarket radio out and replace with factory you can't. Go out spend the $20 on wire harness and just match the colors up. Its easier and safer.
A big +1 to that...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not using the factory harness I cut them both out and trying to match up the wires from the Pioneer harness to factory wires. Not all colors are an exact match (to me anyway) like I said besides the obvious yellow battery and black ground. Sorry about the wrong impression on actually using the factory harness I meant the wires from the harness.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm not using the factory harness I cut them both out and trying to match up the wires from the Pioneer harness to factory wires. Not all colors are an exact match (to me anyway) like I said besides the obvious yellow battery and black ground.
Why on earth did you do that?! :crikey:

·
Registered
143 Posts
well i hate to put you down, but you created more work for yourself. I hated it when I worked in BBY back in the day and people would say well i tried doing it myself and its not working can you fix it. then you pull the radio and you find out they did a hack job to the wires.

You got a few ways to do this.

1. Look up online for the wire schematics with the color codes for wires. Make sure you test with a prob and 9 volt batter for the speakers. BE VERY CAREFUL

2. Use a prob to find power and accessory and ground black wire to chassis.Pull out all the speakers to find the speaker wires and what polarity they are at the speaker.

3. Go to a shop and have them put it in

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if you got an adapter harness in your box but mine sure didn't and I was under the impression everything came in the box I needed minus the relay used to bypass parking brake which I went out and bought. I asked in another thread if I needed an installation kit and someone mentioned all I need to do is use factory brackets and either use the trim piece from a kit or trim piece that came with Pioneer which looks to me so far that the one that came with the Pioneer is not even gonna work so I'll deal with that when the time comes shortly. My factory radio is garbage since the CD player does not work, my truck is paid for and never getting rid of it so I will never need those harneses anymore. Ok so I get the hint I'm doing it the hard way can you help me out with what those factory color wires are so I can match them up to Pioneer harness?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah, at this point if you don't know what you're doing just go to a shop and have them do it, you pretty much shot yourself in the foot :(

This is what you should've gotten:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah, at this point if you don't know what you're doing just go to a shop and have them do it, you pretty much shot yourself in the foot :(

This is what you should've gotten:

And that is I am assuming adapter harnesses? I wish I would have known I needed those before I snipped. Where can I get them?

Edit: It's also not the end of the world I can reattatch those factory harness wires back to the harness in a few minutes I guess the question is do I really need to?

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Factory harness got put back together, went down to trusty ole Best Buy and bought the adpater harnesses for 10 bucks, have everything wired up except now I'm trying to wire up the relay and remaining wires to bypass the parking brake. In my picture starting from the bottom is the reverse backup and mute wires are these needed? Then you'll see the parking brake wire going into the relay, then the remote wire from the Pioneer harness, then the ground wire from the Pioneer harness, then the remote and ground wire from the factory harness at the top. What do I need to do to finish up here?

·
Registered
346 Posts
The reverse wire is for when you want to activate a backup camera, mute wire is for muting audio for whatever reason like for a cell phone or something like that. Glad to see you put the factory harness back together :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
The mute wire and reverse wire not need cut and tape closed.
The ground wire, ground to chassis
The brake wire suppose to wire it to the parking brake so when the parking break engages it reads a ground signal in the wire. I say screw that and just ground the damn thing. Not sure why you have a relay on it at all unless its for a bypass. But i know for my Pioneer I didn't use a relay on the parking wire at all, I grounded it to chassis and did the hard wire modification for the DVD player to work. But i think every model is different.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From what I read this is how to bypass the parking brake. I purchased a 4-pole auto relay from Radio Shack (85, 86, 87 & 30) and 85 goes to your remote turn on, 30 to parking brake wire and 87 & 86 to ground.

But as you see I have a remote turn on wire coming out of the factory harness and one coming out of the Pioneer harness. According to these pictures the one from DVD player goes to the relay. So what do I do with the one coming from factory harness?

Same thing with the ground wires. Do I take the ground wire from the DVD player and splice it and go to both 87 & 86 on the relay? Or do I do that with the ground wire coming from the factory harness?

The parking brake wire is hooked up to 85 from the DVD player.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Tape off the turn on wire coming from the factory harness, it's not needed. Ground your relay to the same point you ground your headunit.

·
Registered
346 Posts
And what about the ground wire from the factory harness?
Tape that one off too. Find yourself a bolt screwed to metal in the dash and use that as a ground.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts