Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All. I have a 05 Frontier Nismo 6 speed 68K miles. Rear drive shaft pinion seal leaking. With the truck on the ground I removed the rear drive shaft and replaced both universal joints with greasable w/ zerk aftermarket I marked the nut and counted the threads holding the Yoke in and removed it with a 600lb impact wrench. Had to hit it for at least 10 seconds. I removed the pinion seal and replaced with OEM. Here are my issues. 1) I cant get the nut back to the exact marked position. I am a quarter of an inch off even using a break bar. My thread count is good. Is this a big deal? My gut tells me it is not since I did not replace the crush sleeve so I am not crushing the sleeve anymore just getting it tight enough so it does not back out. I probably have at least 120 ft/lbs on it. I have at least 50 miles on it now and it drives and feels better then before the driveshaft rebuild. The backlash feels good as well. Anyone using an impact gun to install? Some youtubers used that method 2) The pinion seal is leaking again from day one after replacement. It is leaking 75% less then it was before seal replacement. At this point I checked the breather and it was a little plugged up. No more spring on the breather. I did the axle breather mod since then. Any tricks with getting that seal installed without any leaks? Anyone using sealant with a new OEM seal? I did have to bang that seal back in. VERY tight fight. Look at what I needed to do to get it removed. I used a gear puller that I turned the claws around on. Using this method took me 10 seconds.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
When I replaced my pinion seal and it leaked afterward I decided to replace the piece that the seal goes around (sorry, I can't remember the name of it). After that it hasn't leaked for over a year. YMMV

·
Registered
73 Posts
When I replaced my pinion seal and it leaked afterward I decided to replace the piece that the seal goes around (sorry, I can't remember the name of it). After that it hasn't leaked for over a year. YMMV
I think they call it a "companion flange" but I do agree on replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you tighten the bolt back down that holds in the Yoke. What method did you use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All. I have a 05 Frontier Nismo 6 speed 68K miles. Rear drive shaft pinion seal leaking. With the truck on the ground I removed the rear drive shaft and replaced both universal joints with greasable w/ zerk aftermarket I marked the nut and counted the threads holding the Yoke in and removed it with a 600lb impact wrench. Had to hit it for at least 10 seconds. I removed the pinion seal and replaced with OEM. Here are my issues. 1) I cant get the nut back to the exact marked position. I am a quarter of an inch off even using a break bar. My thread count is good. Is this a big deal? My gut tells me it is not since I did not replace the crush sleeve so I am not crushing the sleeve anymore just getting it tight enough so it does not back out. I probably have at least 120 ft/lbs on it. I have at least 50 miles on it now and it drives and feels better then before the driveshaft rebuild. The backlash feels good as well. Anyone using an impact gun to install? Some youtubers used that method 2) The pinion seal is leaking again from day one after replacement. It is leaking 75% less then it was before seal replacement. At this point I checked the breather and it was a little plugged up. No more spring on the breather. I did the axle breather mod since then. Any tricks with getting that seal installed without any leaks? Anyone using sealant with a new OEM seal? I did have to bang that seal back in. VERY tight fight. Look at what I needed to do to get it removed. I used a gear puller that I turned the claws around on. Using this method took me 10 seconds.

I have the same truck and my pinion seal is leaking. I've spent the past week trying to find the right size socket to remove the pinion nut. I tried a 34mm and 1-5/16 impact deep socket but they don't fit on the nut, I've seen on some threads that some people even used 36mm deep impact socket. I purchased a 36mm socket but doesn't even fit for it get to the nut. The wall of the socket is too big.. What size socket did you use to remove the pinion nut. There doesn't seen to be a clear answer. Some are saying 33mm or 34mm but I believe that that application is for the c200 rear end. I have the m226 rear-end 12 bolt. I'm assuming the pinion nut is larger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts