Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm a little frustrated to say the least. I was replacing front rotors and pads on my '06 this weekend and also changed the brake fluid. Very basic with my wife pumping the pedal and me working the bleeders, but when I was doing the rear calipers I noticed my pinion seal leaking on my SE 6 spd with the M226 axle.

Before we get far into this I have to tell you this is the 2nd time this thing has leaked on me, the first time was replaced by the dealer under warranty but now the truck has 75k miles and I'm really not happy. I had to help my friend replace his pinion seal and wheel end axle seal on his '05 Nismo (now his other axle seal is leaking).

What I want to know is how many of you have had pinion seals leak? Also, how many have had leak issues with this axle period? I have had the diff cover leak from the factory as well; I've since fixed that by pulling, cleaning, and using new RTV, but still, I think this is ridiculous how many people have had leaks with this axle.

I'm going to talk to the dealer and see if they can help me out on this, if not I guess I know what I'll be doing on a Saturday soon. This blows because I have about $50 worth of Amsoil Severe Gear in there as well!!

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
make sure your vent tube on the axle isnt blocked

·
Premium Member
2005 KC SE 4x2 4.0L 6spd body dropped on 2s
320 Posts
and make sure the surface on the flange where the seal rides is not pitted, use some emery cloth and brake clean if its bad then replace the flange

·
Registered
881 Posts
make sure your vent tube on the axle isnt blocked
x10 !!!

This happened to me and both my axle seals, pinion seal and RTV gasket around diff cover all started leaking.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
x10 !!!

This happened to me and both my axle seals, pinion seal and RTV gasket around diff cover all started leaking.
Guys, I wrote the write-up on how to do the vent mod, so that has been done for quite awhile. What I want to know is how many people are having issues with pinion and axle seals leaking on the M226? I think it's too coincidental that my truck and my friend's have both had a lot of issues with this.

And yes, we've both vented the axle properly.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Not Me, I Bought Mine From Jesus, So Its Perfect!!
Now About That Locker.............

·
Premium Member
2005 KC SE 4x2 4.0L 6spd body dropped on 2s
320 Posts
not one issue with my M226 stock vent has been taken out and cleaned periodically and nissan gear oil only (cause I can get it free)
Oh and when replacing the seal do not over torque pinion nut going back together. You do not want to crush the collapsible spacer anymore. Mark the nut and the pinion and install nut untill the marks line back up or maybe a tiny bit past. That is a quick and dirty way to do it rather than checking pinion preload.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not one issue with my M226 stock vent has been taken out and cleaned periodically and nissan gear oil only (cause I can get it free)
Oh and when replacing the seal do not over torque pinion nut going back together. You do not want to crush the collapsible spacer anymore. Mark the nut and the pinion and install nut untill the marks line back up or maybe a tiny bit past. That is a quick and dirty way to do it rather than checking pinion preload.
The Nissan FSM says to replace the nut and washer and test the rotating torque of the diff (pinion) before and then match it after. I guess I could just replace the seal and then torque back down the same like you say. Do you have any other tips on this repair? I'm probably going to get it done this weekend.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had the leak, just spent 2K replacing blown M226 diff with truetrac, that included replacing passenger side axle assembly, it was "grooved" and leaking badly. Just got that paid off and my A/C went out. This is a 2005 NISMO KC with 95K miles

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yep, going to my dealer on Tues to get my rear end fixed on my 05 Nismo. Pinion and right axle leaking. Got 65k on it with extended warrenty. Still will pay $100.00 deductable. Better than $300.00

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Today, I just found that my left seal has failed. I have 61k miles. I'm doing the axle vent mod and replacing the left seal asap.

·
Registered
589 Posts
both side of mine where leaking to and i had a lot of pressure built up in the diff

·
Registered
172 Posts
Happened too me twice. Once on each side.

Did the axle vent mod. So far so good but its only been 10K miles since the last failure and vent mod.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all,

Let me start off by saying that my rear end is vibrating. I thought the tires needed balanced but that didn't help at all. The 'tire store' and they swore by the balancing last weekend. I had the tech ride with me so he could feel how bad it was at 70 MPH. He said he thought it was something vibrating on the drive line. We put the truck up on the lift and noticed that there was wetness around the ring and pinion seal on the rear axle. There was also some play in the driveshaft, you could wiggle it back and forth a little. All 3 techs there said that I should take it too the dealer since that isn't right.

Could a bad ring and pinion seal cause the bearings to wear thus causing the driveshaft to vibrate and will this be covered by the 60k powertrain warrenty?

Oh yeah my truck is a NISMO w/ 56K on it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Another owner here of a leaky M226. Pinion seal, right axle seal, and leaking all the way along the axle housing itself. Well, not actually a leak, but more of a sweating. Reading up on the axle mod now and planning on doing seals.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've got a 2006 with 68,000 miles - M226 is leaking at the pinion and from the left side.

Seems like a common issue on this axle by the looks of it.

I don't suppose anyone has done a write-up? Or has a list of the proper parts numbers and costs?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I've got a 2006 with 68,000 miles - M226 is leaking at the pinion and from the left side.

Seems like a common issue on this axle by the looks of it.

I don't suppose anyone has done a write-up? Or has a list of the proper parts numbers and costs?
Cost is about $125 per side for parts from courtesyparts.com

43252-D40002, Seal, $26.16
40210-D40001, Bearing $59.08
43070-D40001, Axle Spacer $12.53
43010U, Snap Ring, $2.37

Parts plus shipping for me was $124.99

·
Registered
838 Posts
Cost is about $125 per side for parts from courtesyparts.com

43252-D40002, Seal, $26.16
40210-D40001, Bearing $59.08
43070-D40001, Axle Spacer $12.53
43010U, Snap Ring, $2.37

Parts plus shipping for me was $124.99
you wouldn't happen to know if there is a diy on this by any chance? i having this problem with heavy vibe in the rear but haven't looked underneath yet.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
you wouldn't happen to know if there is a diy on this by any chance? i having this problem with heavy vibe in the rear but haven't looked underneath yet.
A leaking rear axle seal won't cause any vibrations unless the bearing is toast. But the bearing won't just go bad if the seal is leaking.

Are you actually getting oil/grease on the inside of the rear wheel?

There is a thread on the repair. Let me see if I can find it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks Storm Frontier!

I just talked to my local dealer, and they said the pinion seal is $95 (Courtesy shows it for $49.51), and they quoted me the following prices for parts and labor:

Pinion seal & labor - $243.47
Axle seal & labor - $388.14 - per side!
Seal diff cover - $122

He told me those prices with a straight face too! Unbelievable!

They did say for the side seals you need to replace the bearing and sleeve too - which I think is what you're calling the spacer.

So I figure I can get all the parts I need to do all the seals, and the vent mod for say $300. I may just go ahead and upgrade my diff cover while I'm at it since it's rusty as heck and leaking too.

A how-to would be nice. I'll try to write one up while I do this.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts