Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is short notice but a couple of guys from another 4x4 froum i'm on are headed to Wharton state forest (pine barrens) for some wheeling. Anyone is welcome.
Gonna' be meeting around 9am on sat march 13th. Meeting place is still undecided but it will probably be on rt 206 somewhere. Most likely near the Atsion office. I will post the meeting place when I find out. I'm familiar with sections of the Forest and I have a few topos.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
never been there, what kind of wheeling is it? rock crawling, trail running or mudding?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
SAND SAND SAND AND PUDDLES THAT ARE OVER 4 FT DEEP!!!
there was a really cool spot i found years ago that was a valley on one side with all kinds of jumps for quads then a small pond on the other end with a good quick sand spot.
wish my old comp didnt crash i had some good shots.
Good luck guys enjoy and keep your eye out for the jersey devil!!! ha ha

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live less than 10 miles from Atsion office..I just might go, BUT I am a NOOBIE and my only offroad skills are on 2 wheels. Would that be a problem? I'd like to throw the kids in the truck and have some fun and see if the wife wants to go! Plus I'm all Stock...Also my neighbor just got a 4door wrangler, are jeeps welcomed?

John

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live less than 10 miles from Atsion office..I just might go, BUT I am a NOOBIE and my only offroad skills are on 2 wheels. Would that be a problem? I'd like to throw the kids in the truck and have some fun and see if the wife wants to go! Plus I'm all Stock...Also my neighbor just got a 4door wrangler, are jeeps welcomed?

John
Like daves d22u wrote, It's mostly sand trails with mud at the bottom of the water holes Are you 2wd or 4wd ? There are spots in there where a 2wd with street tires may get stuck. Good place to get your off road feet "wet". No rocks.

I don't have a snorkel so I try to avoid the deeper water. Sometimes you have to stop and poke a stick in the puddles to see if it's cool to go through. Some of them have go-arounds too. I have gone through puddles that splashed/washed over my hood.
I have some pix with my previous 4x4. A lifted and rear locked Trailblazer.

I have a good bit of recovery equiptment and the wife is riding shotgun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's been my experience back there that just about everything has "go arounds" to avoid if necessary. It's definitely a great place for you to go to get your feet wet into some mild offroading.

I'd attend, but sadly it's a big weekend for us Irish folks and I may be a bit inebriated!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's some pix fromn last nov. This is in the Atsion parking lot. Gonna'be the first time with my Frontier. The silver trailblazer on the left end is the only one at stock height. The rest are lifted

[/IMG] And yes, there are a few hills there although most of the forest is flat.

[/IMG] This hill is called Mt Jemima. It's on the list to go to. Those ruts are much deeper than they look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Like daves d22u wrote, It's mostly sand trails with mud at the bottom of the water holes Are you 2wd or 4wd ? There are spots in there where a 2wd with street tires may get stuck. Good place to get your off road feet "wet". No rocks.

I don't have a snorkel so I try to avoid the deeper water. Sometimes you have to stop and poke a stick in the puddles to see if it's cool to go through. Some of them have go-arounds too. I have gone through puddles that splashed/washed over my hood.
I have some pix with my previous 4x4. A lifted and rear locked Trailblazer.

I have a good bit of recovery equiptment and the wife is riding shotgun.
I have a 4wd LE. I don't mind getting stuck as long as I can get saved!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's been my experience back there that just about everything has "go arounds" to avoid if necessary. It's definitely a great place for you to go to get your feet wet into some mild offroading.

I'd attend, but sadly it's a big weekend for us Irish folks and I may be a bit inebriated!
Alot of the go arounds are under water. How recently it has rained and the water table plays a big part in that.

I have a 4wd LE. I don't mind getting stuck as long as I can get saved!!
4x4 is fine. We can pull you outif need be but probably won't need to. The one thing I have learned in that forest is, don't stop in the middle of the water. Keep moving.

I am only lifted 1 1/2 inches at the moment with an agressive set of A/T's . My UCA's are in the mail with a bunch of other goodies. It will raise my truck another 1 1/2 inches for a total of 3" SL.

Here's me being a noob my first time there, by myself and diving into my first water hole in 2wd :crikey:. Its funny how I was scrambling to put in 4wd while fumbling with the camera. The truck sunk like a rock. As you see, I could have gone around. I was luck I got out.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
looks like fun!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lookin like we're meetin up at the Atsion parking lot 9-9:30 Sat morn. Fuel up before that. Not gonna' see anything but trees for a while.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Wish
i could go, but gotta work, next time... and I gotta fix my radiator skid.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
what happened to your skid pierre?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to throw it out there, having a CB or a hand held cb is a big help with communication between trucks. If you have one, bring it. Not necessary though. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i wish i had time to come just a bit far for me if it was another day i would of come

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
little bit of a drive for me, XJ don't do highway speeds, and don't have a trailer currently plus going to a breaking Benjamin show that night ya'll have fun in that nasty sand and mud, I'll keep me junk on the rocks

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
well looks like you guys are gonna be playing in LOTS of mud. a lot of rain in the forecast for fi and sat

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.