Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1st trail day of the year ended up being just crewmaxxis and myself. We ran some of the tougher trails and went back to the scene of his broken rear Diff. Since it was just the 2 of us, we also did some exploring and ran a very interesting route up to the top of the hill.

The BEAST making the hump on Chaparral look easy...

A trip through the Rock trench

Next we turned left and ran an interesting trench on lower Bonanza Gulch
Click for video -

When we needed to back up to bypass an impassable section the BEAST went uphill to let me get back in front

We then took a new trail off of Bonanza Gulch that went uphill to McCray Rd. This was a really fun, steep trail with an off camber left turn that gave the BEAST some trouble but was eventually conquered...

Jr was game for giving the infamous 'Root Trail' a try going UPHILL!! Jr spoted me through w/o any damage...but it was super tippy!!

After lunch at Hector Heights, we decided to try the hillclimb off of upper Fremontia that Jen and I had passed on last time. The trail was covered in softball size and larger rocks and my ATm's just couldn't get enough traction but the BEAST with those Toyo MT's made it to the top!! Turning around on this hillside was not fun!!

See next post

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HH 1/11/14 cont...

Next we headed to the main obstacle course where Jr wanted to try the pipe obstacle that Dan had gotten stuck on back in July... The BEAST just couldn't quite get over it.

Next we went back to the steep decent off of Dry Trough

That is the end of my pictures. Hopefully Jr will add some shot's of me on some of the tougher spot's we ran today.

Another GREAT day in the dirt... the year is off to an excellent start!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
not sure I would of survived the sphincter clench. I had thought of going with you guys, but woke up at 11:30......

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you guys had a great time. I'm sorry I missed it.
You know we ALWAYS have fun! We missed you, Jen but there will be many more runs this year, especially if winter never comes!

My goal for 2014 is 2 runs per month, minimum. I am also planning on trying a new trail at Hollister every time I go there (unless I'm alone...) until I've run everything my truck can make it through! I have my eye on a few more trails off of Dry Trough and Bonanza Gulch.

More aggressive tires are needed but I still have a lot of life to my ATm's. Already researching what may come next and hoping the $$$$$ tree will bloom!

C'mon Jr.... I know you have some stuff to post!

·
Premium Member
13,443 Posts
You know we ALWAYS have fun! We missed you, Jen but there will be many more runs this year, especially if winter never comes!

My goal for 2014 is 2 runs per month, minimum. I am also planning on trying a new trail at Hollister every time I go there (unless I'm alone...) until I've run everything my truck can make it through! I have my eye on a few more trails off of Dry Trough and Bonanza Gulch.

More aggressive tires are needed but I still have a lot of life to my ATm's. Already researching what may come next and hoping the $$$$$ tree will bloom!
Ambitious goal! I averaged about two trail runs per month in 2012, and that was a fantastic wheeling year.

I noticed a loss of traction with my ATm's last winter, even though they weren't technically "worn out" yet and that's one of the reasons I replaced them prematurely. I think you probably want at least 4/32 or 5/32 for decent off road traction, but mine weren't quite there yet.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday was an eye opener as far as the capabilities of my tires go. Jr was able to 'walk' through several sections that I had to really finesse the truck through. On several of the steeper trails, I spun my way up the more technical section's and had a tough time on a few of the rock's I needed to get over. Bigger lugs are needed.....

Looking at Cooper STT's, Mickey Thompson MT's, Goodyear MTR's and of course the Toyo MT's....

I still have more than half tread on my ATM's..... maybe I just need to take a long road trip in an effort to wear them out!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for posting those video's. The first one is actually Chaparral Trail.

Sure wish you would have filmed that new trail and the Root Trail ascent.... maybe next time.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
phone was out of memory!
I'm thinking that we both need GoPro's for documenting our adventures. Since I usually lead and you usually are at the end of the line, if we both had them just about all angles would be covered!

After a radio that actually works, that may be my next purchase....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts