Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to share some pics from a wheeling trip I did on Saturday with a family member and a couple of friends.

This adventure started east of a ghost town called Como, which sits in the Pine Nut Mountains of northern Nevada. We wanted to try to get to Como but weren't sure what the trail conditions would be like. As it turned out, trail conditions were...interesting.

Shortly after turning off the highway, it became apparent that mud was in our future.

Not an issue on this particular puddle however, as we decided to take a little detour around it and check out an old town site called Thompson. This was a copper mine that was active from 1911-1920.

After spending a little time checking out the place, we hopped back in our rigs and began our very muddy approach to the Pine Nut range.

This was a "dry" lake that we passed. Not so dry right now...it was covered by a layer of snow over a layer of ice.

After several miles of mud, mud and more mud, the trail started to get snowier.

We were following another vehicle's tracks for a while, but eventually we reached a spot where that vehicle had turned around and we were on virgin snow.

Then things started to get a little interesting. This is one of those "pics don't do it justice" pics. The road to Como is typically pretty easy going. But after some recent storms, portions of the trail were extremely washed out. This particular section used to have a large culvert running underneath the trail. But the trail around both sides of the culvert had gotten washed away. There was enough snow covering the culvert that I didn't really see what I was driving into. But my truck fell right through the snow and the ice underneath it, smacking my frame rail and rear bumper in the process.

Our group of rigs wasn't fully armored so we decided to fill in the holes so that nobody's truck got damaged (yours truly on the right...can you tell we're having fun?).

Everyone got through it OK.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
As the trail continued to climb, the snow got deeper.

Then things got really interesting when we started up a hill with several knee deep snow drifts in the trail.

Progress was slow when I reached each of these drifts. I was at 12 psi and had both lockers engaged, and I could still only manage going forward a few inches at a time in the drifts before I'd have to back up and then try to push forward again.

When I started to smell my clutch burning, we decided that it was time to give my truck a break and my Tacoma buddy took over breaking the trail.

He made it around the next bend before he got stuck.

After a little shoveling, he was back on his way...

...for about 30 more feet.

We were still about 5 miles from Como and had about 1000 more feet in elevation to climb, so we decided to cut our losses and turn back.

A few pics from the way back down:

Near the trail's end, my Tacoma friend just couldn't resist the big mud puddle.

Hope you enjoyed these. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Looks like a blast!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm so jealous right now! Makes me want to call in sick today and go for a ride in the snow coved mountains here in northern New Mexico. Thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to get pictures and post a write up. Those of us in the southeast may get to see a few inches of snow that quickly turns to ice so it's great to see the pretty powder stuff.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I genuinely enjoyed this post and the story you put with it! Thanks for the share Jenior!

·
Registered
911 Posts
So close ......but yet so far.
Excellent trip report.
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
What kind of front bumper is that on the black frontier ?!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts