Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents told me that they wanted to visit some ghost towns for Father's Day weekend. Fortunately, Nevada has a rich mining history and is mostly public land, so there is no shortage of ghost towns. After doing a little research, we decided to do some exploring north of Lovelock.

We saw this windmill on the way to the first set of ruins. My GPS app called it Bach Well. We think it may have been a watering hole for the wild burros (some of which had gorgeous pinto coloring) or maybe even the antelope (we saw a herd with babies!) that we saw all over the area, but the trough was dried up. It still made for some nice photos.

The first ghost town that we visited was called Vernon. Vernon was a mining town with a population of about 300 that was inhabited from 1906 to 1918. There wasn't much in the way of buildings - we only found one that was partially intact. There were numerous mine shafts however. Unfortunately, the one that wasn't fenced off contained some trash. People are such pigs. :(

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Our next stop was Tunnel Camp. This town was established in 1926 and was actively mined until about 1950. Tunnel Camp was a real treat - it's rare to find ghost towns on public land that are this well preserved. Tunnel Camp got it's name from the 11,000 foot long tunnel that was built for draining the mines. Unfortunately, it was built in the wrong direction and never succeeded at its intended purpose. We're pretty sure we found the entrance to the tunnel, but it's been filled in and doesn't look like much now. The buildings, however, were pretty amazing.

The first pic was our first glimpse of Tunnel Camp. It was an incredible sight.

We spent a ton of time at Tunnel Camp. There is a lot more in the area to see, but it was late in the afternoon by the time we'd finished exploring. We decided to head back - but took a slight detour through Mazuma.

Mazuma was basically an empty site that contained no ruins. It's a town that was built in a wash - and flash flooding is kind of a thing in Nevada. So we didn't find any buildings, just random piles of metal scraps.

The only thing near Mazuma that was worth stopping for was Darby Mill.

And that's it.

I will never get tired of exploring Nevada. There is just so much cool stuff to see here. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
To be honest, I was more interested in the modded toyota tacoma than the scenery lol. It looks nice @JeniorNV and i am glad you had fun.::grin::

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
those pics were great, thanks for posting and the stories behind them were fun to read

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is really cool. What a neat trip!! Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This looked like a blast, there is an old abandoned mining town about 20 km away from my place that I keep meaning to go explore....its along some decently difficult trails this great scenery makes that trip more of a priority!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts