Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another successful weekend of wheeling with the Nor Cal crew (plus me). The weekend consisted a series of trails in the Sierra Buttes area, with BCBrian leading the way. This was new territory for all of us - none of us had been on any of these trails before. It was a really beautiful area and the trails were fun.

Saturday was off to a rough and late start when we discovered that the road leading to the trailhead was closed due to a bike race. A decision was made to run the trail in the opposite direction, reasoning that the road would be reopened by the time we got there or that we could find another way out if need be. I think running it "backwards" actually worked out in our favor because it put the tough sections in the uphill (i.e., more fun) direction.

Anyway, enough yakking...onto my pics.

Gold Valley trail on Saturday:

Camp (doesn't my truck look happy?):

Saturday night shenanigans:

On Sunday, we ran three short trails. The first was the trail to the Sierra Buttes lookout tower. Unfortunately, I was shooting into the sun and none of the pics I took of the tower came out. But here are a couple pictures of the view as well as a shot of Mrs. Sixspeed-SV descending (yes, she's descending, that isn't a typo) the first of four sets of stairs:

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The second trail we ran on Sunday was Deer Lake. Here is a shot of Deer Lake with the Sierra Buttes in the background:

And another picture of a very happy truck:

Summit Lake at the end of the Deer Lake trail:

Gold Lake was the final trail of the day. Not many photo ops here but I was able to snap a quick pic of the lake as we were driving by. There is a 4x4 campground in this area that is very popular.

And that's it for mine!

Despite living in a completely different state from these trails and the rest of the attendees, I actually had the shortest drive home. I expect everyone else will get around to adding their pics eventually. (Hurry up, slackers. :))

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Frontier MT sv
763 Posts
Buttes- chain of lakes and fun trails.

This area is very scenic and the trails are tree lined with a lot of rocks! great stuff. A good trail run on Saturday. a bunch O' trucks and some hounds. Thank you BCBrian!

The mountain Bike racing at Downieville forced a change of plan and it worked out for the better.

The Museum at the trail head was informative.

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
sierra buttes - Lookout Tower - the views!

Sunday trails were perfect! The hike to the tower had a great payoff. years past - we parked at the foot of the steps. not so today, had to hoof it a bit.

fantastic stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
What a blast!

A big thank you to everyone who attended this meet! We have found another great place to camp and wheel for sure.

For those that missed this run but are interested.... don't worry, the vote was unanimous that we return next year.

I just got home a little while ago and will work on posting my pictures tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a few more that my dad sent to me.

Crewmaxxis on Gold Valley, making everything look easy.

I think I'm the only person who chose the rightmost big boulder line through this spot on Gold Valley. Everyone else chose the lefter tippier line.

R00 having a good time.

Crewmaxxis scored a great parking spot at the foot of Deer Lake but found exiting the vehicle to be somewhat challenging.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My pic's

Friday I did a solo fire road trip east of camp and then headed to Upper Sardine Lake for a swim. The lake is right below Sierra Butte. When I saw the trail marked 'SHORT WHEELBASE, HIGH CLEARANCE VEHICLES ONLY' I had to give it a shot. It was about 1 mile long, pretty rocky and ended at a pristine high sierra lake.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My pic's 2

Chito and Nikki enjoyed the challenge of climbing the trail towards Deer Lake. The smoke from all the fires burning in CA was gone by the afternoon and the scenery was spectacular. You can see Sierra Butte lookout in the 2nd pic off in the distance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My pic's 3

These shots are from saturday's run in Gold Valley. After being turned back by the downhill MTB race, it actually turned out to be a blessing as we really enjoyed running this trail the opposite direction from what the guide book recommended. The BEAST didn't need a spotter.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My pic's 4

I came back and spotted the rest of the group through before breaking for lunch. We were amazed at how many wildflowers were still blooming and wondered what it would look like in late spring. It was also great to see the healthy forest with very few dead trees rather than huge tracts of beetle killed pines like the Bald Mtn area.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My pic's 5

On to sunday. The hike to Sierra Butte was relatively short, about a mile, but steep and btwn 8000 and 8600 ft. The views were breathtaking and so was the thin air! We were surprised to see a mountaineer who had tied his ropes to the rail, repelled down the cliff and was climbing back up! After the hike to the base of the stairs, there were 174 steps to the platform.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My pic's 6

More from the Butte. These stairs were steep! This tree had bark that was very interesting and made for a great photo op with Jen and her Mom.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My pic's 7

Enough of this hiking stuff, back to the trails. These are the last shots I took.

Overall this was a great trip and gave us some good idea's for next years meet. We are hoping to get camp sites along Gold Lake at the OHV CG. There are numerous other trails to explore and lot's of lakes to check out.

Hope you enjoyed the show!

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts

I thought this was for his dartboard...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Overall this was a great trip and gave us some good idea's for next years meet. We are hoping to get camp sites along Gold Lake at the OHV CG. There are numerous other trails to explore and lot's of lakes to check out.

Hope you enjoyed the show!
Very nice! I especially liked the "group pic": the NorCal crew... and the girl from Reno ::smile:: .

Time to start planning for 2017!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for the great pics, what an amazing place! Once I get new tires I hope to join you all for the next run!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Northern California Sierra moutain range- Tahoe area

expansive views of the forest and lakes of the area. a lot of trees to squeeze past.

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts

1 - 20 of 48 Posts