Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to share some pictures from a cool adventure that my truck took me on today. I had first seen pictures of this "cabin under a rock" a few years ago but couldn't figure out where it was located. This is a 100+ year old mining camp, in The-Middle-Of-Nowhere, Nevada, where an old miner had found a huge overhanging rock that he decided to build a cabin underneath. Most people who know where this cabin is try to keep the location a secret to prevent it from being vandalized. Recently, I was able to determine its location and decided to pay it a visit.

The location is remote and the trail is rough. It's exactly the kind of place you don't want to go if you're all by yourself. But I found out last week that I probably have cancer for the third time, so common sense has taken a backseat.

The camp is right on the other side of that hill - but it took a while to get there from this spot because the trail is very narrow and rocky (as the saying goes, "pics don't do it justice").

Here are some pictures from around the mining camp (and lots of the cabin because it's so freaking cool). You can see that the cabin is in good shape, considering its age.

A lizard friend:

From the top of the rock that the cabin is underneath:

An overview of the camp:

Not a shabby view from the camp. I love Nevada's wide open valleys.

Some pictures of the mine:

Some sort of water thing in the foreground? I could see the bottom but it was a long way down.

A water tank, a bunch of old cans (this is why we don't litter, kids - these cans are over 100 years old), and the remains of the old corral:

I took this picture on the way out. The trail is rough, rocky and very narrow with a huge drop off. Seriously, please don't go out there by yourself.

I hope you enjoyed looking at these as much as I enjoyed taking them. :)

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Great photos!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Awesome adventure! Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Real sorry to hear about the potential health issues. I'm glad curiosity and a "to hell with it" attitude took you on such a good trip though! Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Real sorry to hear about the potential health issues. I'm glad curiosity and a "to hell with it" attitude took you on such a good trip though! Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you. There's a chance I may be posting more trip threads like this one in the next few weeks. I'm "coping."

I do go prepared on my solo adventures though (or any adventures, actually). I have a SPOT device, and my husband knew where I was going and what time to start worrying. I'm an experienced off roader and carry plenty of supplies to be able to handle a wide variety of vehicle or personal emergencies. Still probably the sketchiest and most remote trail I've done solo.

It was well worth the reward at the end though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i will i can live there but good job admin on the photos::smile::

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
231 Posts
Thanks, looks like worth a 2nd extended trip

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

·
Admin
3,278 Posts
Extremely cool trip! Thanx for posting pics. The only bighorns around here are found at the RAM dealer :)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Sorry to hear of your health issues Jenn. Your wheeling excursion pictures are always top notch, so nothing new there. Hope all goes well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts