Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent rains, normally easy trails became challenging and much slipping and sliding ensued.... We were joined by a Mitsubishi Montero and a Hummer who we met while playing in the mud at the main obstacle course. Jason also wheeled with us for the 1st time in his Gen 1 Xterra.

The turn at McCray and Fremontia, on the way to Hector Heights, was a goey, slippery mess but we got everyone through it w/o any damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After descending from the top, we headed to McCrazy trail because Chema had a surprise for us....

While everyone else did big wheelies through the frame twister above the tunnel, the BEAST just flexed it way through.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now for the surprise, after all us mortals cleared the frame twister, we headed to the final obstacle on McCrazy just as the BEAST was backing down this very steep cement climb! This pit is filled with mud and water and the exit ramp is about 50 degrees! There is a step up on the bottom that caught the rear bumper.... so the winch line came out. With a tree strap around the winch pole and the synthetic line run through a snatch block, Chema walked the BEAST up and out of the pit.... leaving a bunch of rubber from the Pro Comp MTs behind!

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Now for the surprise, after all us mortals cleared the frame twister, we headed to the final obstacle on McCrazy just as the BEAST was backing down this very steep cement climb! This pit is filled with mud and water and the exit ramp is about 50 degrees! There is a step up on the bottom that caught the rear bumper.... so the winch line came out. With a tree strap around the winch pole and the synthetic line run through a snatch block, Chema walked the BEAST up and out of the pit.... leaving a bunch of rubber from the Pro Comp MTs behind!
I'm glad I doubled the line back. His winch might have had an issue with a single line pull on that grade.

·
Registered
741 Posts
What trails did you do besides McCray?
Gosh, it's hard to even say. Most of our time was spent at both obstacle courses and the overlook. Lots of newbies on the trails so there was a lot of wait time between locations, and we tried to stay at the bottom of the park for the early part of the day so stragglers could get there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
... so stragglers could get there.
Guilty as charged.

I arrived late, got to the schoolhouse about 10:10am after calling BCBrian with a timing update before my cell service evaporated. Headed straight to the obstacle course/mud pit but didn't see any familiar truck brands, so plunked around for a few minutes then tried BCBrian on my little handheld CB - no joy.

From there I headed up to the first spot I figured I'd bump into the group, Hector Heights. Took West Trail all the way to McCray, then up to the Heights where I encountered a group of Jeeps coming down, so parked up into Big Garner Springs Loop to let them pass. Continued up McCray to the Heights but when I got to the Fremonita intersection the slick mud combined with my utter lack of experience effectively prevented me from "summitting" - I was barely able to get it turned around to head back down, but eventually got oriented correctly for a safe descent.

From there I took McCray around to the Bonanza Gulch/McCray black diamond course area and parked up again for about 20 minutes, still trying the CB with no results - lots of Toyotas came and went but no Nissans, so fired her up again and headed to the next spot I thought I might find the group...Truck Hill.

Took Buckeye to Bonanza Gulch to Truck Hill and played around the bottom area of Truck Hill for a while. Splashed in the puddle a bit, and only saw a Tacoma during my time there so struck back out on Bonanza Gulch the way I'd come.

Hopped onto Garner Flat and over to the Adventure Track where another group of Jeeps was playing around. I stopped to ask if they'd seen any Nissans and they said no, but I don't think they were necessarily looking for any anyway so I continued on my way to Foothill and back to the mudstacle course.

Saw a few Chevy pickups and a few more Toyotas at the mud/camping area, both playing and parked, but no Nissans, so I parked up again for about 40 minutes to grab a little lunch and watch a newer Silverado limp up to the parking area from the mudstacle pit with a broken front axle, along with several other non-Nissans coming and going. Still no cell service and no luck on the CB...

After lunch (and still no Frontier sightings) I made my way out Foothill through Sycamore Camp to the green McCray trail and back out to the McCray black diamond/Bonanza Gulch intersection, passing more (and some of the same) Yotas and Jeeps, but still zero other Nissans. From there I did another loop of the bottom of Truck Hill and encountered no other Nissans, so back to the intersection again...

So from there I did the southern Bonanza Gulch loop up to a point where a downed tree was completely blocking the trail, so turned around and headed back to the BG/McC intersection again, then over to Prospect where...

A GRAY NISSAN CC PRO-4X!

I roared up and asked if I'd missed the rest of the group and got the reply "Erm...I'm here by myself. You're the only other Nissan I've seen." Well OK, that's cool, struck up a conversation for 15 or 20 minutes and got some good tips about my upcoming road/off-road trip to the Death Valley area. Got passed by several of the same folks I'd been seeing all day, but still no other Frontiers (or Xterras, or Hummers, or...you get the picture).

It was about 2:30ish by now and my passenger had to be home by 5ish so we headed back to the mudstacle course parking area for one last try on the CB (still nope) and on the way passed a 1st gen white Xterra heading the other direction. We exchanged a nod as we passed but I'd never seen it here on the forum and he was alone so I didn't really think much of it. Turns out...well, look at the first post in this thread and you'll see the same X I did. Ships in the night...

I finally meandered my way back to the schoolhouse and parked up one last time for about 10 minutes - still no cell service and no luck with the CB. Time to start the long drive home...

I finally got cell signal when I hit Rte 156 (thanks T-Mobile... :p ) and saw I had a VM from BCBrian, but service was oddly spotty and wouldn't connect so I couldn't listen to it, so I called him and left a VM. It wasn't until I got to Alameda to drop off my passenger that I saw my phone still wasn't "back" from the dead zone, so I rebooted it and it EXPLODED with 5 voicemails from BCBrian and R00, along with dozens of calls, texts and emails from other folks. I don't think the notification beeps/boops/vibes stopped for a full minute. Ugh. Thanks again T-Mobile...

So...long story long, apparently the group and I were orbiting the park on opposite ends the entire day, but there were a couple of near misses based on the VM timestamps and my estimates of when and where I parked up (I think I missed you guys at the mudstacle course by mere MINUTES when I stopped for lunch...).

All in all a fun day, but I'm bummed the Frontier folks were apparently the only rigs in the park I didn't run into at least once all day. Looks like you all had a good time, even if Crewmaxxis got a bit hung up.

Also, my vid cam setup failed so I got exactly 3 pictures the entire day, all from my phone. Sigh...

NEXT TIME FOR SURE! ::grin::

And lastly, if there's ever a petition to put a cell repeater near the park I'd be the first to sign...>:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What trails did you do besides McCray?
After playing around at the Adventure Track and the Obstacle Course, we took West Trail to McCray and then continued to the top. Came down to Bonanza Gulch and went to Truck Hill for 1 run up the loose sand. We almost got to watch some guy sink his side by side in the lake at the bottom but he got it stopped with just the front wheels in the water. Then we ran the rock trench and went through the tunnel and watched the BEAST winch out of the pit. Next we headed back through Sycamore Camp and up Hidden Valley Trail and East Trail to Chine Road and down Chaparral Trail.

A lot of time was spent with Chema recovering a 4 Runner at the Obstacle Course and waiting for some newbies to back out of the way on the decent of McCray. I'm just glad we did not witness a guy in Raptor go over the cliff as he was going from full lock to full lock backwards down the trail, right on the edge of the drop off! I just had to walk away when they refused my spotting help.

Conditions warranted skipping the shaded trails where the mud would have made the narrow, steep and off camber sections just too dangerous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts