Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read just about every post I could find on here but I'm still not sure what the hell I'm doing so I better ask. I'm getting ready to install some PIAA 525's on a white rhino light bar and don't know a whole lot about auto wiring.

First off, the switch they include with the lights seem like it's gonna be a huge PITA switching between hi/low (see attached picture). I pictured just a normal on/off switch and have the lights wired into the hi/low beams so its a lot easier. Plus I dont want wires running all over the inside of the truck and dont want it to bounce around the cab. The switch I want to use is rated at 20 amps, is this ok?

Any help and input would be great, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
.... Plus I dont want wires running all over the inside of the truck and dont want it to bounce around the cab. The switch I want to use is rated at 20 amps, is this ok?..
I'd follow the instruciones that PIAA gave you; IIRC those lights run H4 lamps so you're gonna have to run the relay module; firing a relay only needs about an amp. PIAA gave you that expensive switch for a reason; a clean install is on the installer...

G/L.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
I put a set of Hellas on my truck. Installation was cake.
You did get instructions right? Just follow them to the "T" unless you want to do something a little different like I did.

The one thing I did different than the Hella instructions was I wired the relay switched wire to the parking lights.
This means I can have the driving lights on with parking lights only, low beams and high beams (off road use only of course).
(Original instructions had me wiring to the low beams only).

Also, I did not use the Hella switch and instead opted for a simple lighted rocker switch that fit perfectly in one of the unused knock outs below and left of the steering column.
The switch looks OEM, even lights orange to match the dash lights color.

Whatever you do, definitely use the supplied relay.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
The kit should have included a harness with relay. You should use that or your own relay. It'll simplify wiring too. Only need one wire running in the cab out to the engine bay to the relay.

imo switches that come with any lights are pretty ugly and don't blend in with the interior. I never really liked the huge lighted 'offroad' switches most use that fill in the blanks either. Those stand out like a sore thumb too imo. I went for a more subtle look and got 2 switches in the place of one.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I added my PIAAs using the Piaa harness and relay I bought on ebay, but I used my own switch. I didn't use the one that came with it. Works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Where did you get that zoom?
I'm wanting to add more auxiliary lighting and a double switch would make it work nicely.
from a guy off ebay. I messaged him for 10 pieces. Shipping time was about 12 days or so. How many do you need? I don't think i'll use more than 5 so should have 4 or 5 I can spare if interested.
50* Mini Rocker Switch SPST Power Pre Amplifier Vintage - eBay (item 280362426603 end time Jul-23-09 12:44:57 PDT)

after the first round of rough cuts. I realized later that they are just small enough that you can fit 3 of them side by side into one blank. Will probably be doing that when i add more stuff.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
BTW, you can buy those switches at Autozone too. I debated on those or the blue one I got.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I have the instructions, but they are kind of vague to me. I'll have to get out the wiring diagrams in the manual and try to remember my circuits class.

The biggest question I have is that I don't want to use the switch they provided. I'd like to install just a simple rocker switch in one of the blank locations. I feel like that if I use that fob switch thing they gave me, I'll be drivin down the road with the highs on and as a car comes, flip to lows like usual, and then have to reach around for the fob and turn the PIAA lows off. Seems like a good way to crash. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
I've read just about every post I could find on here but I'm still not sure what the hell I'm doing so I better ask. I'm getting ready to install some PIAA 525's on a white rhino light bar and don't know a whole lot about auto wiring.

First off, the switch they include with the lights seem like it's gonna be a huge PITA switching between hi/low (see attached picture). I pictured just a normal on/off switch and have the lights wired into the hi/low beams so its a lot easier. Plus I dont want wires running all over the inside of the truck and dont want it to bounce around the cab. The switch I want to use is rated at 20 amps, is this ok?

Any help and input would be great, thanks.
So you are saying the PIAAs have a high and low beam selection?
From the looks of the supplied switch you will need a 3 way switch to replace it is my guess.

Position:
1=off
2=low
3=high

If that's what the "mode" button does, change from high to low beam that is.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
I'm assuming your wire harness includes 2 relays then? You can connect the positive relay trigger wires to the stock low and high beam wires respectively. Then run a single ground wire off your switch of choice to the relays. So when switched on, the piaas will follow the stock lights with no further action on your part.
A pic of what you have would help explain things easier.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Okay, then what zoom said would most likely work, unless it's one sealed proprietary relay from PIAA, then it's difficult to tell.

I probably should go download the 525 install instructions and then I might know what the hell you're up against.
I gotta get dinner around and make me an after work beverage, if you know what I mean, I'll check back after while.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zoom thanks for that pic. That should help out alot. This is startin to make more sense. I sure as hell don't wanna have to pay the $175 the guy in town quoted me to have these things installed.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Like I said before those lights run H4s they can pull >10 amps a piece. I'd use a primary and left/right fuses for those things.

G/L.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another dumb question. How important is it that I have a voltmeter while I'm doing this whole thing?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts