Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago when I started shopping trucks, if I had even dreamed my wife would get to retirement and say "I want a travel trailer" I would have bought a heftier truck to begin with. Retirement for me is literally the end of this month. And we bought a nice Jayco unit 2 weeks ago. Loaded with our stuff it will be bumping 80% of the SL's rated capacity.

The Frontier pulls the travel trailer fine on the roads I've driven thus far, but I've yet to get into the mountains of north Alabama, or into the Smokey Mountains which are a favorite destination for us.

Rated towing capacity and functional towing ability are not synonymous. I don't want to drive everywhere wringing the Frontier out for all it's worth. The same Jayco behind a Titan would be just at 50% of the Titan's rated capacity. So now I'm looking a year down the road and thinking if I trade trucks (with a nod to towing capacity) I'll go with a Titan instead of an F150.

So (in the humble opinion of the ClubFrontier inmates) which Titan forum provides the best resource?

As always, thanks in advance,

Rick

·
Super Moderator
12,380 Posts
I belong to both Titan forums since my first Titan in 2005, if you didn’t mention it I’d have completely forgot it existed, looking at the categories it gets very little traffic there. Titan Talk is as busy daily as this forum is. Trailer size is why I bought another Titan, I prefer to stay in the half to 2/3 range of the trucks abilities maximum, the lighter the better.
Good luck on your retirement, I’m winding down on my last year as well.

Clint

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
15,467 Posts
Enjoy your retirement. I think it is a wise idea to get yourself a truck with a little more power and capability to tow a heavy trailer, if that is what you plan on doing often.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both for the feedback. You have confirmed my thoughts on functional vs rated towing capacity.

@Clint I’ve built a spreadsheet to calculate the unloaded vs loaded vehicle weight, and how that shapes up against the stated towing capacity of the Frontier. The 2/3rds figure is exactly what came to mind as I looked at the numbers and thought back on how it felt towing empty as opposed to loaded. Springtime is here, so by the time I add gear and supplies for the wife and me, the dog, and the three grands that will go with us occasionally, I’m sure I’ll be at the 80% figure.

“Camping frequently.” @Zedbra a year ago I didn’t know I would be camping frequently. But like most happy men, I listen to my wife! (The other option of course is the “be right” option which does not automatically equate to being happy or satisfied…).

There are always vehicles out there if one is willing to go the distance and/or pay the price. For the local stuff we have calendared to date the Frontier will be fine, but if we make a trip out of state or into the mountains I’ll want to have power to spare. So I’ve started the search using the various online tools and will be prepared to pounce on something when it comes across the radar.

Thanks again and best to y’all!

Reactions: Zedbra
1 - 4 of 4 Posts