Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
45,000 people die each year in car accidents, nobody freaks about driving.
20,000 people die each year from the Flu, nobody really worries.
25 people die from the Wuhan Virus and every store is out of Lysol, toilet paper, cleaning wipes, hand sanitizer, etc.
Chill people, if you're healthy and smart you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Not freaking out but worried because it’s real, and inevitably unstoppable at this point. I’m worried for the more fragile people like our elders and not as healthy loved ones with any kind of underlying ailments.

They just found 1-2 students in our elementary school yesterday.. shutting them down until after spring break.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier Crew Cab SV
67 Posts
This coronavirus is just getting started so comparing it's death rate to the flu death rate is premature.

·
Registered
531 Posts
playing the statistics game is a simplistic argument...for the sake of. conventional flu have a history, of sorts, which allows for the creation of vaccines. they are somewhat of a known factor, though not absolute. you can't die from a car accident by coughing on someone or having spores lingering for days. that said, there is a fine line between reasonable caution v rampant paranoia. the issue of TP and towels is somewhat of a 1st world panic problem.

my 88 yr old mom really wanted to attend her cousin's 95th birthday this past weekend. I would not have chosen to attend but since it would make her happy...after being made aware of the risks, I chaperoned her. of the 50 people there, more than half were in the high risk group and a couple were residents of a care facility. so we bumped elbows, hugged some, waved to others....and just enjoyed the celebration.

tangentially...i live about a mile from the Costco flagship store. yesterday was my first visit there since the panic started. two weeks prior, my first attempted mid morning on a weekday was greeted with a packed parking lot and drivers hovering and inching towards people wheeling carts supplies, chasing them for their soon-to-be-vacated parking stall.
yesterday's visit was nice (mid day) and normal line up save for the aisles packed by dozens awaiting replenishing of water and tp and paper towels.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My mom has breast cancer, and my brother was just taken to the hospital yesterday with a not-yet diagnosed heart problem. To say the Coronavirus is the last thing on my mind is an understatement. The devils we know are still more dangerous than the ones we're just learning about.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The fatality rate for the annual varieties of flu is about .1 percent of those that get infected. This covid-19 overall fatality rate is between 3 and 4%* -- 30 - 40 times higher. And as high as 15% for people 80+ years old.

In the U.S., about 40% of adults get the flu shot vaccination which helps tremendously to decrease spreading of the disease. The flu normally dies down in the warmer summer months in the northern hemisphere. But it seems countries in the southern hemisphere where it is currently the warm season, are still being affected by covid-19.

With covid-19, there is no vaccine and no natural resistance because it is a new virus (in the coronavirus family).

So if 1,000,000 people get infected with covid-19, 35,000 could die. If 10,000,000 get it, 350,000 could die. If all 70 million adults over 60 in the U.S. get it, 2.5 - 6 million could die.

Nobody should panic yet, but it needs to be taken very seriously. Containment and development of a vaccine is crucial.

The disinformation you're hearing out there, like "it's a hoax", is dangerous for everyone.

*source: World Health Organization

·
Registered
667 Posts
45,000 people die each year in car accidents, nobody freaks about driving.
20,000 people die each year from the Flu, nobody really worries.
Huh? 45,000? 20,000?
How about 650,000 die from heart attacks every year.
Any restrictions on Cheeseburgers ???

This is the deep state trying to take out Trump by destroying the economy.
Have you noticed everything is closing or is cancelled EXCEPT the filthy germ infested subway and mass transit systems... the darling of the anti-American Libs?

Oh, as of March 10th, the grand total of cases in the entire US is 647. Death toll is 25.
More folks choked to death on their breakfast sausage today than have died from corona.

You're being scammed... Wake the vuck up folks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Huh? 45,000? 20,000?
How about 650,000 die from heart attacks every year.
Any restrictions on Cheeseburgers ???

This is the deep state trying to take out Trump by destroying the economy.
Have you noticed everything is closing or is cancelled EXCEPT the filthy germ infested subway and mass transit systems... the darling of the anti-American Libs?

Oh, as of March 10th, the grand total of cases in the entire US is 647. Death toll is 25.
More folks choked to death on their breakfast sausage today than have died from corona.

Wake the vuck up folks.

Heart attacks aren't contagious. You can choose to eat cheeseburgers or not. It's a free country. They'll have to pry my cheeseburger from my cold dead hands.
The deep state? No, it's a virus.
Nobody wants a bad economy.
Trump is not the victim here, unless he catches it.

"Oh, as of March 10th, the grand total of cases in the entire US is 647. Death toll is 25." That's a 3.8% death rate you just stated -- in agreement with the World Health Organization.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Rdp, do the math. 25 dead you can count on your fingertips in 15 seconds.
There's 380 million people in the US. 25 got sick and died. It's a big deal only if you're one of the 25.

Every year, in over 200,000 people, the first sign of heart disease is a sudden cardiac death. That's a 100% death rate.

·
Registered
313 Posts
@RamTest
I agree with almost everything you said in that post.

Yes, it's big deal if you're 1 of the 25 who have died.
Or if you're a loved one of one of the victims.

That's 2.5 people per day, but this is just the first 10 days here. Italy just had 163 die in one day (yesterday).

"Every year, in over 200,000 people, the first sign of heart disease is a sudden cardiac death. That's a 100% death rate."

Um, yes, I have to agree with you here also. Sudden death has a 100% death rate.
Unless they manage to revive you. That takes the rate down a little.

Good luck to all. Seriously.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I mean, she is, but, Yea....no. Sales lady is BFF's with the owner's daughter and I'm married, so the virus would be the least of my worries at that point.
Sean... sounds like a shot at a tag team with the smokin' sales lady and the owners daughter, then everybody stays quiet... maybe.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The disinformation you're hearing out there, like "it's a hoax", is dangerous for everyone.
Nobody is saying the Wuhan Virus is a hoax, but what is dangerous is spreading panic. If people are sensible and healthy there is no issues. As usual the best and brightest the world has to offer are hard at work and will have a vaccine out in no time I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.