Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Premium Member
2022 SV CC 4X4, Glacier White
920 Posts
Did you happen to check with Nissan to find out if that will affect the warranty?

*I know that pedal Commander says it will not, I'm just wondering if that's been verified..
Doesn't take long to remove it. Leaves no trace. I had a HikeIt X9 on my 14 Tundra. Took me less than 5 minutes to take it off. Doesn't void the warranty. Simply changes throttle response.

· Registered
490 Posts
I take it this device does nothing more than re-map the throttle position vs. your foot position? I joke about "Eco Mode" on many newer cars because they don't actually make the vehicle more powerful or more economical at the push of a button, they simply 'save you from yourself.'

0% is still 0%, 100% is still 100%, but in Eco mode, the pedal is mapped so you have to push harder to get 50% making the vehicle feel more lethargic and making people less inclined to drive aggressively. In Sport mode, the pedal is mapped so 50% is nearly at the top, making the vehicle feel more like it's tugging at the leash. In other words, it's a complete waste of $300 unless you absolutely have no self-control.

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Plot Font

· Registered
36 Posts
I take it this device does nothing more than re-map the throttle position vs. your foot position? I joke about "Eco Mode" on many newer cars because they don't actually make the vehicle more powerful or more economical at the push of a button, they simply 'save you from yourself.'

0% is still 0%, 100% is still 100%, but in Eco mode, the pedal is mapped so you have to push harder to get 50% making the vehicle feel more lethargic and making people less inclined to drive aggressively. In Sport mode, the pedal is mapped so 50% is nearly at the top, making the vehicle feel more like it's tugging at the leash. In other words, it's a complete waste of $300 unless you absolutely have no self-control.

View attachment 338017
That would be me with the no self control.

· Premium Member
920 Posts

View attachment 338017
Not that simple as you make it out to be. We had this same discussion on the Tundra forum. Nothing to do with self control. Lol. My 07 Tundra throttle mapping was so sensitive. I got used to it. 5.7L/380 hp/420 ft lbs of torque with standard 4.30:1 rear gear combined with a near bullet proof Aisin 6 speed tranny. A simple press on the fly by wire throttle would throw your passengers heads back. That touchy. My 14 Tundra throttle response was tamed down. A lot. Some Tundra forum members said, "just push the Tow/Haul switch." Tow/Haul mode has absolutely nothing to do with throttle response....it simply changed the tranny mapping. Gets confused a lot. I'm assuming my Frontier Tow/Haul mode is the same. My 14 Tundra was lame as far as throttle response. The powers that be a Yota decided to take down the throttle response but made it too tame. Has nothing to do with your foot. It's fly by wire throttle response. Not like in the old days where your foot pedal was connected by a physical wire to the carb where you actually had control of throttle response. Don't confuse the two. Quite frankly my new 22 has quite decent fly by wire throttle response and I don't intend to buy a throttle response controller. BTW...Banks recently came out with a better version than the Pedal Commander for the current Gen Tundra. It's all about state of the art science......I live and breathe these things. Stats, verification, Uncertainty calcs... 42 years now

· Registered
490 Posts
Not that simple as you make it out to be. We had this same discussion on the Tundra forum. Nothing to do with self control. Lol. My 07 Tundra throttle mapping was so sensitive. I got used to it. 5.7L/380 hp/420 ft lbs of torque with standard 4.30:1 rear gear combined with a near bullet proof Aisin 6 speed tranny. A simple press on the fly by wire throttle would throw your passengers heads back. That touchy. My 14 Tundra throttle response was tamed down. A lot. Some Tundra forum members said, "just push the Tow/Haul switch." Tow/Haul mode has absolutely nothing to do with throttle response....it simply changed the tranny mapping. Gets confused a lot. I'm assuming my Frontier Tow/Haul mode is the same. My 14 Tundra was lame as far as throttle response. The powers that be a Yota decided to take down the throttle response but made it too tame. Has nothing to do with your foot. It's fly by wire throttle response. Not like in the old days where your foot pedal was connected by a physical wire to the carb where you actually had control of throttle response. Don't confuse the two. Quite frankly my new 22 has quite decent fly by wire throttle response and I don't intend to buy a throttle response controller. BTW...Banks recently came out with a better version than the Pedal Commander for the current Gen Tundra. It's all about state of the art science......I live and breathe these things. Stats, verification, Uncertainty calcs... 42 years now
If you have multiple vehicles, it's possible that they all behave differently and you might want to level that out. To me, that's not worth $300.

Likely, the petal got re-mapped because of the fact that your 07 was too sensitive and people didn't like having their heads thrown back into the seats for a tiny amount of throttle.

Here's something to remember, while cable throttles did open the butterfly valve 0-100%, the engine's response was NOT linear. With cable throttle, the difference between 5% and 25% throttle is greater than the difference between 25% and 100%. That is because 25% is 5X greater than 5%. 100% is only 4X greater than 25%. There is a better explainer on YouTube. In a nutshell, the engine is starving at Idle. Giving it just a small amount of air makes a huge difference in power output. Once you've reached 25% throttle, the engine is no longer starving for air. Moving from 25% to 100% is not as dramatic.

Throttle-by-wire allowed manufacturers to fix this problem by mapping the throttle to feel more linear and more responsive throughout the entire pedal range. Eco modes could make the engine feel much more dull while Sport modes can make the engine feel more sharp, but it's really all in your head. It gives the car a different 'personality' but it does not actually change how much horsepower is required to do a certain task. People think that Eco mode will give them better fuel economy on the highway. Of course, that's not possible by re-mapping the throttle.

You can ONLY increase your fuel economy by:
1. Increasing Thermal Efficiency (or driving at the most thermally efficient RPM).
2. Reducing Drag Coefficient (or driving at a lower speed to reduce Drag Force).

Reactions: White Wolf

· Premium Member
920 Posts
If you have multiple vehicles, it's possible that they all behave differently and you might want to level that out. To me, that's not worth $300.

Likely, the petal got re-mapped because of the fact that your 07 was too sensitive and people didn't like having their heads thrown back into the seats for a tiny amount of throttle.

Here's something to remember, while cable throttles did open the butterfly valve 0-100%, the engine's response was NOT linear. With cable throttle, the difference between 5% and 25% throttle is greater than the difference between 25% and 100%. That is because 25% is 5X greater than 5%. 100% is only 4X greater than 25%. There is a better explainer on YouTube. In a nutshell, the engine is starving at Idle. Giving it just a small amount of air makes a huge difference in power output. Once you've reached 25% throttle, the engine is no longer starving for air. Moving from 25% to 100% is not as dramatic.

Throttle-by-wire allowed manufacturers to fix this problem by mapping the throttle to feel more linear and more responsive throughout the entire pedal range. Eco modes could make the engine feel much more dull while Sport modes can make the engine feel more sharp, but it's really all in your head. It gives the car a different 'personality' but it does not actually change how much horsepower is required to do a certain task. People think that Eco mode will give them better fuel economy on the highway. Of course, that's not possible by re-mapping the throttle.

You can ONLY increase your fuel economy by:
1. Increasing Thermal Efficiency (or driving at the most thermally efficient RPM).
2. Reducing Drag Coefficient (or driving at a lower speed to reduce Drag Force).
I passed on the Pedal Commander for the HikeIt X9 that was on my 14. $170. More features. I'm satisfied with my 22's throttle response as is.

· Registered
2020 SV Crew Cab Gun Metal Midnight Edition
313 Posts
Well you talked me into getting a Hike It X5. The X9 has to many choices for this simpleton.

Reactions: JeffJeff

· Registered
1 Posts
The EVC idrive is far superior lol I did ALOT of research and comparing before I purchased my idrive and I’ll never go without one again lol pedal commander is more money doesn’t work nearly as well, doesn’t last and cause issues… I drive has had zero issues in 10 years 100% American made with 30 day money back guarantee annnd lifetime warranty. If it causes any issues to your vehicle or some how voids your warranty they go good for it. It’s also been dyno proven etc plenty of videos on YouTube, it doesn’t actually add any power just makes it so much smoother and more controllable. Believe they just changed their name to 9drive cause they are expanding to others products as well not just the pedal controller

1 - 20 of 56 Posts