Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Frontier Nissan pickup, 144,000 miles, have a slight oil leak, suspect the PCV. It's a nightmare to change on this model 4 cylinder engine. I thought about replacing the oil fill cap with a breather cap. Should I work, but I can't find a screw in to fit. Looking for ideas on how to bypass the PCV. I thought about taking the filter inside the air cleaner out to get more vacuum any ideas. This is a small dense filter, comes off the hose coming off of the valve cover. Looking for suggestions!!!!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Do you suspect the pcv system, or do you suspect worn compression rings allowing too much blowby into the crankcase?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I started working for Nissan in 1985 and spent 16 years as a Nissan tech. Even after that, I continued as a mechanic and still work on a lot of Nissans. In all that time, I've only come across two bad PCV valves on Nissan engines and both of those were on heavily sludged engines. That said, if you suspect the PCV is the problem, replace it rather than start rigging up a bypass. Yeah, it sucks to get to! I get them through the passenger-front wheel well opening and I get the oil filter out of the way for more room. Where's the oil leak and why do you think it's a clogged PCV system rather than a bad seal or gasket?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts