Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just browsing the Nissan site and notice something... The payloads vary by quite a bit depending on model. Is this mostly due to the shock difference?

Examples: The "S" model shows up to 1460lbs. SL shows 1370lbs, so not much less but still 100lbs. While the PRO4X shows 1040lbs. Both Crew Cab models. Thats a pretty big spread. Is it the combo of tires, and suspension? I could see 150lbs or so being different depending on equipment, but 420lbs (heh heh) spread?

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,827 Posts
I don't think that it's just shock difference.

Payload capacity is GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) sans curb-weight. You'll note though, that the SV 4x4 LWB and the SL 4x4 LWB don't have the same GVWR even though I presume they have the same shocks. Unless this is a misprint.

Are there other differences in the Pro-4x trucks besides the shock absorbers? It looks like they must have a slightly lighter suspension to give them a lower GVWR.

When vehicles have the same GVWR, but different options, that affects payload capacity. Don't forget that passengers count towards payload too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
I've observed that there are certainly some discrepancies amongst the various Frontier payloads. IE: My '15 SV 4x2 6-sp that comes standard w/ VTP items weighs more (by 78 lbs) than an automatic SV 4x2 sans VTP...yet has a higher payload according to nissanproduct.info. (1471 lbs vs 1449 lbs)

~ Amount of body armor/skid plates might play a role in this re: Pro4X?

Re: your sig - GG Pro4x...what does "GG" mean?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've observed that there are certainly some discrepancies amongst the various Frontier payloads. IE: My '15 SV 4x2 6-sp that comes standard w/ VTP items weighs more (by 78 lbs) than an automatic SV 4x2 sans VTP...yet has a higher payload according to nissanproduct.info. (1471 lbs vs 1449 lbs)

~ Amount of body armor/skid plates might play a role in this re: Pro4X?

Re: your sig - GG Pro4x...what does "GG" mean?
GG = Gun Grey. I think I saw some one else had it listed like that so I stole it haha.

I know the P4X has a couple skid plates, but beyond that I don't think it has any other major weight added items. Maybe the spay in bed liner? The image TWX added may show more of the picture too. The fact the SL and P4X weigh 300-400lbs more than an S 4X2. So I guess the combo of weighty add-ons and 4x4 reduce the payload. The S 4x4 weighs 230lbs more than 4x2, and has reduced payload of 120lbs.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
PRO4X has softer rear springs for improved articulation offroad. It doesn't have overload leafs like a typical pickup.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,827 Posts
As usual, Nissan's #s do not make perfect sense.
No they don't. One would expect that, assuming the same brakes across all trucks, each major configuration (KC-126 WB, CC-SB-126 WB, CC-LB-140 WB) would have a GVWR specific to the body/chassis, and that both payload and towing capacity would then be calculated based on GVWR and GCWR sans curb-weight. It looks though, like they've been a lot more specific, not only factoring engine and transmission, but maybe something like drivetrain configuration and even which rear axle the vehicle is equipped with.

EDIT:

I'm trying to figure out why on that chart I posted, the SV 4x4 AT/LWB has the MT's GVWR, not the AT's GVWR. The SL shows the AT and AT/LWB with the same GVWR, and the SV 4x2 AT and AT/LWB have the same GVWR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts