Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lurking around the forum looking for some information on an inexpensive solution to coil bucket contact with front coil spacers installed. I have a 2007 CC 4x4 with 2" deavers in the rear with a 1.5" PRG spacers in the front. I think I would like to remove the spacers all together and install some taller coil springs. I thought about using the 4x4parts springs but it has been mentioned that they have a bad reputation of breaking. It has also been mentioned that Pathfinder springs would work and should give some additional lift. Any idea how much lift these would provide? Best option? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I was running the v8 pathfinder shocks for a while, but just recently got some used bilsteins off a nismo and am running those for now. the pathfinder shocks are almost exactly the same to me. A little stiffer and I think I can just barely tell that they were maybe a 1/4" or 1/2" taller than the bilsteins. Idk. Maybe not even that. My truck use to just look a little taller in front and now it almost seems level. Basically I dont think the v8 pathfinder shocks do much for you. Maybe a little stiffer and not really any visual lift from what i can really tell.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You can always try the OME springs (old man emu). They are supposed to give about 1.5" - 2"s of lift.

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE inexpensive solution to coil bucket contact with front coil spacers installed END QUOTE

If (?") spacers cause coil bucket contact, so will the (?") taller coils, No?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If (?") spacers cause coil bucket contact, so will the (?") taller coils, No?[/QUOTE]

That is not my understanding. Coil bucket contact is more prominent with coil spacers installed because the spacers diminish down travel and limits the factory suspension. Down travel stops when the control arm contacts the coil bucket. So taller coils should increase wheel travel and decrease the likelihood of the contact.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
If (?") spacers cause coil bucket contact, so will the (?") taller coils, No?

That is not my understanding. Coil bucket contact is more prominent with coil spacers installed because the spacers diminish down travel and limits the factory suspension. Down travel stops when the control arm contacts the coil bucket. So taller coils should increase wheel travel and decrease the likelihood of the contact.
not trying to rain on your parade or anything but you will get coil bucket contact if you lift ~2" or more unless you go with aftermarket UCA's. whenever and however you lift the front end, the control arms droop down the distance you lifted so their normal angle is, say, 2" lower than where it normally is factory height. then you add more down travel because of the normal stroke of the shock but at the new height and you get coil bucket contact. there's no way to avoid it without going to aftermarket control arms, period. uptravel is limited to about 2-3" by the frame as well iirc

·
Registered
881 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not trying to rain on your parade or anything but you will get coil bucket contact if you lift ~2" or more unless you go with aftermarket UCA's. whenever and however you lift the front end, the control arms droop down the distance you lifted so their normal angle is, say, 2" lower than where it normally is factory height. then you add more down travel because of the normal stroke of the shock but at the new height and you get coil bucket contact. there's no way to avoid it without going to aftermarket control arms, period. uptravel is limited to about 2-3" by the frame as well iirc
That makes sense. I didn't think replacing the stock coils and add-on spacers with taller coils eliminated the coil bucket contact, just decreased the potential for it to happen.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
No. Only with spacers lift give coil bucket contact or a lift with a lot of down travel.

coilovers that are made for stock control arm internal bumpstop so there is no coilbucket contact but coilovers there is no lost of down travel. With coilover you gain travel. Unlike a spacer lift were they reduce suspension travel.

with the internal bumpstop removed you gain more suspension down travel and that is way there is coilbucket contact.

Any other lift like EMU, adjustable Bilsteins, AC coil do not cause coil bucket contact.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
No. Only with spacers lift give coil bucket contact or a lift with a lot of down travel.

coilovers that are made for stock control arm internal bumpstop so there is no coilbucket contact but coilovers there is no lost of down travel. With coilover you gain travel. Unlike a spacer lift were they reduce suspension travel.

with the internal bumpstop removed you gain more suspension down travel and that is way there is coilbucket contact.

Any other lift like EMU, adjustable Bilsteins, AC coil do not cause coil bucket contact.
honestly, not understanding completely what you are trying to say mike. but i'm trying. i rode in a guy's truck that had AC coils and the coil buckets were contacting a lot (at URE at least) when at full droop. don't know about the other lifts but i assumed if the mildest coil lift did it, the other ones would too. and if you are talking about coilovers that provide no lift not causing contact, that would make sense, but the OP said he was looking for lift iirc

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
honestly, not understanding completely what you are trying to say mike. but i'm trying. i rode in a guy's truck that had AC coils and the coil buckets were contacting a lot (at URE at least) when at full droop. don't know about the other lifts but i assumed if the mildest coil lift did it, the other ones would too. and if you are talking about coilovers that provide no lift not causing contact, that would make sense, but the OP said he was looking for lift iirc
Are you sure there was contact? I had AC coils and never had contact. You could hear the shock bottom out but the control arm would not hit the coilbucket. I have a picture somewhere showing there is no contact when I had the AC coils at full drop.
Right now I have coilovers made for stock control arms set at 3" of lift and have no contact.
If you look at may build thread you can see the suspension at full drop with no contact. . If you were to jack up the front end of a truck with a spacer lift you would see the control arms setting on the bucket.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
ok now i understand what you are saying. so you use the coilover to limit downtravel therefore avoiding the coil bucket contact. that makes sense. yea it was coil bucket contact, maybe his were just that little bit longer or flexy that allowed for the contact *shrugs*

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the input. Since the stock Pathfinder coils look like a no go I put together a few other options that may work for me. I sent an email to Eaton Springs in Detriot to see if they could fab me up some new springs with a increased ride height (awaiting reply to see if they can and for what price). Another option would be the Bilstein BE5-E653-H0 5100 Series Leveling Strut / Shocks. It looks like you can increase the ride height 0-2" without the use of coil spacers, they can be had for about $90/each. The last option would be the OME OME608 Pathfinder R51 Front MD or HD springs for about $75/each (Thanks 00 FRONTIER).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts