Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you steal my photo?

My 2004 Desert Runner had the same issue. I replaced the valve cover gaskets at about 130,000mi and was taken back a little when I saw the rear passenger side buildup. There are other posts of people having the same issue on CF. I had babied that truck since I bought it with 24k miles. Changed the oil every 5k/6k miles with Valvoline synthetic and didn't drive it super hard. IIRC the consensus on other posts was it isn't a big deal and is related to the oil not getting pumped/moved into that area so it gets a bit of build up. Someone will chime in if I'm wrong I hope.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Well I guess when the whole system only has 3.5 qts of oil in it some things are going to get bad coverage. I never understood that.

It doesn't seemed to ever have caused any consistent serious issues. I've never seen any reports of problems with parts in the right side head.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Hydraulic valve lifters tapping was a fairly common issue on these engines and seemed to be more common on the passenger side. That said, the color is normal for a VG engine and it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My theory is that there is more heat trapped on the drivers side (thank you, seemingly unnecessary upper plenum!) and that causes more crap to "burn off" the moving parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts