Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am experiencing a slight clunking noise on the front passenger side on my 2016 Pro4x. It is not super loud, and I can't always recreate it, so I haven't taken it to the dealer just yet. But i seems to happen when stopping, starting, going over small bumps in the road, and when the wheel is turned. It has stock suspension. Almost reminds me of CBC that I had when I had my Titan. Any ideas that I can check before I waste some time at the dealership? I have 1,000 miles on it now, and it has always done this. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any suggestions? Seems to be more of a stopping/going noise than from bumps in the road.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Honestly, it sounds like a bad CV axle. I had somilar sounds on my driver side. The cv didnt have torn boots, but it was definitely the culprit. But that was after about 95000 miles. Check your CV for tears in the boots, also listen to the front end with someone else turning the wheel to try to isolate the noise's origin. Good luck

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Kind of a mild shot in the dark, but sometimes the Utilitrack's plastic slide-in bed rails will slide forward or backward and make a funny clunking. I experienced this and it was most often encountered when coming to a stop on uneven surfaces.
YMMV & good luck trouble shooting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drive it for a little longer, it only has 1k on it.

What dI'd you drive before this?
I may, but my OCD won't let me do it for long. Shouldn't have any noise like that coming from a brand new vehicle.

I previously had 2015 Nissan Titan. 6" ProComp Lift, 35's, Radflo C/O's, DirtKing LCAs & Tie Rods, Headers, Full Catback, Uprev tuned, etc., etc. Spent more money in mods than I had planned on that thing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check your skid plates, start with the engine skid. Take it off and drive around and see if the noise goes away. That's what I had going on and it drove me nuts and the dealership couldn't figure it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It almost sounds like it is up near the antenna area. I put some extra grease on the hood mount in that area thinking that was it, but that didn't help. Still looking. May try the skids just to rule something else out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Might sound stupid, but mine was doing some clunking noise in similar fashion to yours. It ended up being a loose fuse box cover... the main one in the engine bay close to the antenna

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a similar issue..the hood latch had gotten loose and dry..dealer tightened it up and gave it a lube job..no more noise after every bump

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just as an update, I finally took the truck to the dealership around the 2,000 mile mark. Said they couldn't hear the issue, but made sure everything suspension wise was tight on the passenger side. Noise still present. Really frustrating that I cannot duplicate it all the time. Almost seems to get better after the truck has been driven some and is warmed up, as weird as that is.

I currently have a PRG Advanced Coilover package that is in my garage waiting to be installed, but want to sort this noise out first before I install all that. Assuming everything with the suspension was good like they said, trying to move onto other items. Tried everything suggested in the thread thus far. Wondering if maybe a loose motor mount could cause the issue. I'm at work, so I won't be able to look until tomorrow, but I figure it couldn't hurt to check out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just as an update, been to the dealer 3 times total now. Shop foreman hears the issue, but they have been unable to correct it. So far they retightened everything, added a brake shim kit, and replaced the strut. Hasn't fixed it yet. Now they aren't sure how to proceed. Having to get some sort of quality expert from Nissan that doesn't work for the dealership apparently as their next step in their process. So we'll see what ends up happening.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have them inspect and possibly replace the U-Joint on the driveshaft. I had a similar issue and the mechanics swore up and down that everything was perfect. He reluctantly replaced it and the squeak stopped.

I originally thought it was my suspension but I would hear it only when moving under power, not when I would jump on the truck isolating the suspension. Check YouTube for u-joint squeak and see if it appears similar to your situation.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey I've got a 2016 SV I bought in Sept. Not long after I bought it I started having the EXACT same issue. Over speed bumps, when braking, I hear a clunk coming from behind the dash area ir engine bay in front of the passenger seat. I have yet to figure it out and I haven't taken it to the shop. I'm definitely interested in what you find out. If I figure it out I'll post.

·
Registered
53 Posts
have you check the actual antenna? My 2016 antenna was loose and it rattled over bumps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My antenna was loose too. Discovered it a few days ago. I tightened it and still get the noise on mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Antenna was replaced with a stubby antenna not long after purchase. Stubby is very tight.

Dealer still has my truck. They have had it since 12/22/16 and still have not figured it out. Last time I talked to them they were going to replace the brake calipers, but I don't think that will fix it. Like Archer said, it sounds higher like behind the dash or right in the area of the engine bay.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey, I just discovered this tonight. I haven't driven it around to confirm anything yet BUT... Look inside the lower glove box, there is a fuse box cover on the right side. Mine is very loose and moves around easily, kind of "clicks" when it moves. It may move just enough that it is making noise and echoing inside the glove box.

I am not sure if anyone else suggested that. I am almost convinced, even without testing it, that is what it is. I'm gonna remove the cover and drive around tomorrow and see if that's what's causing it. I'll report back.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV4x4, CCLB, Pioneer DMH-1500NEX, Pro4X wheels, power rear-slider mod, Bambi-mode
232 Posts
Bump! Hey, Archer22 - did you ever figure out what was causing your noise? Was it the fuse-box cover inside the lower glove box? Something else?

I have a brand-new ‘19 and have a rattle under similar circumstances as you and can’t isolate. Already tweaked my skid plate, checked/tightened every front suspension and steering bolt, retorqued sway-bar bushing clamps, removed end-linksand yes, tightened antenna. No joy....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts