Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seven years ago I let someone borrow my truck while I was at work, and they left a 4 mo old puppy in the cab unattended. How long I don't know, but the seatbelt releases have a few tooth marks in the back seat. Still fully functional, not even ugly, just a couple of tooth marks. Oh how I wish the puppy had done more there.

Instead she crawled under the passenger seat and destroyed the harness connected to the occupancy sensor in the seat and the SRS airbag. I've finally gotten around to buying the replacement harness (I'm not about to splice something to the airbag), and will be replacing it in my friend's driveway. I've taken much of my dash apart before to run the wires from the dash camera, and I've also removed the seats and lower trim to clean and install the inverter before I drove the AlCan this past summer, but I haven't replaced this harness before. It looks pretty big and involved, but I don't think it goes through the firewall. Has anyone changed this? It's the one that runs along the bottom of the passenger door and under the carpet. Any wisdom or experience before I dig into this is welcome.

I'll also be taking pictures and maybe some video to document the process and hope to share them here in case mine isn't the only one that's succumb to a puppy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is where the connector used to be that the puppy chewed. I took it to the dealer after the incident and they wanted $1200 to fix it, but offered to cap off the harness for free.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Hand Automotive wheel system

First step was to remove the seats. The harness actually runs under both passenger and driver's seat, and so while it might be possible to fish it through after removing the center console, removing the center console is easiest done with the seats out. They're pretty simple to remove. First unplug and remove where the harness attaches (center front of seat). There are four bolts, one on each corner, and the covers pop off/open easily with a trim removal tool like so (back of seat shown):
Auto part Vehicle

Then lift up on the read of the seat (or rock it forward) until the guide pin comes out of the hole in the floor. Make sure the harness is unplugged before you lift the seat out.
Auto part Technology Wire Electronic device Electrical wiring

At this point it started snowing hard, so I had to limp it into my friend's garage. More to come.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did the rest of it go?
It went well! It snowed over a foot, but I finished swapping the harness and got my truck back together. Life has just been pretty disrupted since then, though, so I haven't had a chance to post the rest of the pics. In the middle of moving across the continent AMT, but will try to update once I get settled. Are you replacing the harness too?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear it worked! I just bought a used 2011 Frontier that also had a dog chew threw the same part of the harness as yours! So I need to replace it. I can't for the life of me figure out what that harness part number is though. Can you help me out? What do I need to replace the harness? I'll post some pictures too if that's okay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Feel free to post pics.
Aside from the basic things like wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, etc, you might want to get an interior trim removal tool kit like the one shown below

It's so much easier to remove the interior panels with those vs a screw driver.

As for the harness part number, I made the poor clerk look for about an hour before she figured it out. The old harness (I still have it) says its part number is 24017-9BA1B. The beast runs from the kick panel on the passenger side, under the front seats, along the RH side under the doors, up the back pillar and across the ceiling to the tail light, so expect the repair to take some patience, time, and finesse. It also plugs into the airbag control module, so make sure you follow the procedures for dearming the airbags while you work. When you're done you'll have to have someone clear a code for the steering wheel position sensor and then you should be good. It's so nice not having that light flashing anymore!

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are a lifesaver! Funny enough, I'm also getting ready to move across the continent. Hope your move goes well. I really appreciate you taking the time to help out! Which frontier year and model do you have?
I quickly looked for that harness by the part number you said and it looks like it'll cost around 200-250 USD. Does that sound about right to you?

If I have anymore questions I'll be sure to post here when they come up, when the harness arrives I'll get to work on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is also a 2011. Maybe the guy at the factory spilled gravy on the harness? The new one ran me about $300 if memory serves me right, so $200-$250 sounds reasonable.

I did not need a wiring diagram. You shouldn't either if the new harness is made correctly. If you are worried about remembering the routing you can try installing the new harness as you remove the old one.

Wow, that dog really went to town on your buckle! Mine has a few tooth marks, but that's it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Went to work on mine today. That part wasn't the one I needed! We must have different models. I should have asked clearly which Frontier you have. I have the 2011 Frontier King Cab SV. My wire harness is 24017-9BA0C. I guess I should have checked my actual one first. Oh well! I'll update when the new part comes in. All the other info you posted was very helpful though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finished replacing the harness today. The airbag light is still on. I tried to reset the light via the key on/key off method mentioned on a popular thread on this forum, but it didn't work. I'm going to see if it goes away after driving around for a while. I haven't noticed a steering angle sensor light, what's up with the steering angle sensor you mentioned? If the airbag light doesn't go off on its own i figure I'll have to go to a mechanic or dealership to try to clear it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finished replacing the harness today. The airbag light is still on. I tried to reset the light via the key on/key off method mentioned on a popular thread on this forum, but it didn't work. I'm going to see if it goes away after driving around for a while. I haven't noticed a steering angle sensor light, what's up with the steering angle sensor you mentioned? If the airbag light doesn't go off on its own i figure I'll have to go to a mechanic or dealership to try to clear it.
You might have to take it to the dealership and have them reset the steering wheel position sensor. It's very sensitive and the new harness will throw it off, causing it to error. Mine did something very similar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts