Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a fix for this since I bought my truck in December. Today I spent about 2 hours trying different things and believe I came up with the reason the rattle happens. It seems the seat tracks are spread apart toward the back (end facing back seats). I tested this by sitting in the truck whacking (yes, a technical term!) the seat and listening to it from different angles. I tested a fix, that isn't really a fix, but it proves that my specific rattle is what I stated above, the tracks are spread apart in the back. I took a couple of large "C" clamps I have for changing brake pads and put them about 3-4 inches from the back edge and tightening them down good. I then moved the seat back to the original position (not all the way back, but where it was during my testing) and started whacking it again.

The "C" Clamps drastically reduced the rattle. It wasn't completely gone, but the tracks are made of some pretty strong, low memory metal, so I couldn't get the clamps real tight. I feel if I could come up with a way to install some kind of cross member, as well as a way to squeeze the tracks together a bit (probably about 1/4 inch) the rattle would be gone. I mention the support, because I was able to reduce the rattle a bit with a piece of 2x2 that I wedged in between them in trying to diagnose the issue.

I will try to figure out a permanent way to implement both fixes in a single solution and report back with some pictures, etc.

By the way - I am an engineer, so this is driving me absolutely crazy! If I designed an electrical system that shocked you mildly every time you used it, I wouldn't have a job!! I feel the seat rattle is just that! ::smile::

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a small update: I went to the dealership today for my free oil change and the rough idle problem looked at.

The rough idle - The technician fiddled with the idle for about 15 minutes getting it to a sweet spot so it wasn't rough when the A/C was off, as well as when it was on. I am over-all happy with his work. It still has a barely noticeable vibration in the steering wheel at times, but is no longer bothering me. I believe he raised it less than 25 RPM, as I can't see any difference on the RPM needle.

I also had them check the seat while I was in. It's funny that they would say (and they did!) that it is normal to have a seat wobble and rattle like this thing does! I drove a 2016 for a couple of weeks before I bought this one, and it didn't have the seat issue. The technician basically justified the rattle/wobble by saying that nothing was broken, so NissanUSA would probably tell me to go pound sand, but he said he would recommend a replacement of the seat and track. We will see what happens. I am still working on a add-on that will address the issue. I started rendering some ideas in AutoCAD and will see what it will take to get them made once the design has been validated.

·
Registered
338 Posts
wonder if I can get the dealer to up the idle a tad for me for free when i go in for an oil change. I doubt it. Mine does shake a bit at stop lights. Not too much of an issue now but I'm betting in 5 years when things get a little loose it will be the cause of alot of rattles.

My passenger seat also makes the noise and shakes all around. Mine seems to be well planted to the floor. The back is what is all over the place it seems. It's very annoying. I pick up random people on the street just so they can sit in it and I don't have to hear the seat rattle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am still under factory warranty, so they didn't try to charge me, but if you asked, they would probably do it. I am in Rockwall, Texas and we just got a Fenton Nissan here. They are saying they are the biggest Nissan dealership in the US now...who knows! Anyway, they are really trying to attract business and will do small stuff like that for free to get people in.

I can just see it now... [pulls over]: "Hey, get in my truck...I can't take the rattle any longer!" LOL!

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
My 2005 had a bad passenger seat rattle, you could watch it shake while driving. My frontier does the same, shakes but hasn't started rattling yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought for a month that my passenger seat was rattling..found out the seat belt clip was caught between the seat and the side plastic..strained out the clip and no more rattle lol wish I had checked on day 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts