Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i guess the sensor for the engagement/disengagement of the parking brake is sticking. sometimes the indicator light stays on when it is disengaged & vice-versa. reaching down and wiggling the pedal always remedies the issue

i am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the fix was

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with Mathster, check your brake fluid level first before assuming the other. The E-brake light will flash on and off during take offs and stops if it's just at the right low level. If everything is ok there, then go back to checking your e-brake switch.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah the brake fluid is topped off. i just did 90,000 mile service myself last thursday

like i said the brake light can be off with the parking brake engaged or on with it disengaged so it has to be the parking brake sensor

it's probably incredibly simple to figure out, but i figured why not post first before putting my head under the dash

·
Registered
770 Posts
That happened with our 02 a couple weekends back. Made it to the top of the mountains, camped, the next day we were going for wood and it was on, even though we released the brake. Made a couple small runs and the the day we were packing up to go, half way back down, the light went off. At the same time, even though I have been told the light will not go on because of brake pads/ect. our warning strips on the pads hit the rotors about the same time the light went off.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
switch is probably bad or dirty. might be able to take the switch apart and clean it out which is what i did on another car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i guess the sensor for the engagement/disengagement of the parking brake is sticking. sometimes the indicator light stays on when it is disengaged & vice-versa. reaching down and wiggling the pedal always remedies the issue

i am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the fix was
Guess I overlooked the vise-versa part. sometimes the e brake switch will have dirt build up or even corrosion build up. Had one in the shop on an F450 that the switch was so corroded, it wouldn't move.

That happened with our 02 a couple weekends back. Made it to the top of the mountains, camped, the next day we were going for wood and it was on, even though we released the brake. Made a couple small runs and the the day we were packing up to go, half way back down, the light went off. At the same time, even though I have been told the light will not go on because of brake pads/ect. our warning strips on the pads hit the rotors about the same time the light went off.
The fluid level in your master cylinder will decrease as your brake pad thickness decreases. Where people make the mistake, is they add brake fluid to their vehicles. Therefore they are not ever worned when their pads do become too thin.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was able to get the parking brake sensor switch off and i could see it was bent in & not making cantact. it's obvious the problem started from pulling the release & allowing the pedal to slam up into the sensor.

after reworking the metal housing of the sensor to where it looked like it should work, i figured out that removing it was much easier than screwing it back in. there was just not enough room to hold it in place while trying to operate the screwdriver simultaneously.

long story short, i still don't have it screwed back in. i am going to have to remove the entire pedal assembly to do so (when it gets warmer out)

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
i was able to get the parking brake sensor switch off and i could see it was bent in & not making cantact. it's obvious the problem started from pulling the release & allowing the pedal to slam up into the sensor.

after reworking the metal housing of the sensor to where it looked like it should work, i figured out that removing it was much easier than screwing it back in. there was just not enough room to hold it in place while trying to operate the screwdriver simultaneously.

long story short, i still don't have it screwed back in. i am going to have to remove the entire pedal assembly to do so (when it gets warmer out)
how did you bend the switch to begin with?

good luck on the waiting till warmer, could be a while...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how did you bend the switch to begin with?

good luck on the waiting till warmer, could be a while...
when you pull the release it slams up pretty hard. it must have been from repetitive such slams

being a manual, i use my parking brake more often than one might with an auto

·
Registered
167 Posts
The fluid level in your master cylinder will decrease as your brake pad thickness decreases. Where people make the mistake, is they add brake fluid to their vehicles. Therefore they are not ever worned when their pads do become too thin.
you can purchase brake pads with two types of wear indicators. One is a wear "mark" similar to the wear marks on all tires ( best example i can think of). the other brake pad has a thin strip of metal inbeaded in the pad so you hear a light scratch while braking. annoing but causes no damage.

obviously you can still purchas pads that have no indicator.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
when you pull the release it slams up pretty hard. it must have been from repetitive such slams

being a manual, i use my parking brake more often than one might with an auto
I see.
I use mine mostly when running in and out errands. stop, hit neutral and grab the brake and leave the truck running.
I know know what to check if this problem shows up for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts