Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied from another forum:

Have a new stereo being installed on my 2018 Nissan Frontier. Bought at best buy with free install, earliest appt they had was 6/1. It's the standard stereo, not RF version but replaced all 4 speakers (6x9 F, 6.5 R) myself and hooked up a kicker hideaway sub myself no problem

Here's the stereo I got: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwoo...-media-receiver-black/6401750.p?skuId=6401750

Wanting to bypass parking brake so bought this just incase: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B3WFGH...abc_00WTC030ES76CGJR4YTY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if needed but question is.. do I offer guy $50 to bypass or will he 100% shoot me down. With at least a description of where exactly this cord connects, and assuming new stereo comes with the pop out things to get behind head unit I think I can do myself, don't care if it voids install warranty or whatever.

Worth a shot or are they programmed to say absolutely not (it doesn't have dvd or anything). Either way I plan on watching him like a hawk asking questions until I figure out how to do myself (he said I can). I don't plan on driving/ watching/fiddling with things but it's a pain in the *** when you're at a red light and need to put address in GPS but gotta pull over 1st.

Do I need the wire bypass I bought on this unit on a 2018 frontier, or will simply grounding work? If anyone can point me to a how to AFTER installed, I'm 99.9% sure I can do it no prob. But the guy probably gets paid ****, $50 would like double what they pay him for install.. should I ask? Anyone got experience?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems 1000x easier during installation, but company policy prob won't allow. Guy seemed really cool, willing to say I did it afterwards if **** happens, but Is there a relatively easy way to do this After install? Not even sure where the wire mounts on parking break tbh and don't wanna rip dash apart aimlessly. Not sure if I'll need the adapter I bought vs just grounding... that's the easy part. Is it under steering column? Any help and I'll love you forever

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Seems 1000x easier during installation, but company policy prob won't allow. Guy seemed really cool, willing to say I did it afterwards if **** happens, but Is there a relatively easy way to do this After install? Not even sure where the wire mounts on parking break tbh and don't wanna rip dash apart aimlessly. Not sure if I'll need the adapter I bought vs just grounding... that's the easy part. Is it under steering column? Any help and I'll love you forever
If your truck is 5 - 6 yrs old, or newer, you can get to the parking brake wire by prying up the cup holder panel in the center console. That panel is held in place with four spring clips. Once removed, look down inside (driver side) where the parking brake is. There will be a single wire connected to the parking brake switch. You can tap that wire.
You’ll need to fish a wire from your stereo down to the floor, the through the center console to get to that parking brake wire. I recommend tucking your wire up under the edge of the center console on the passenger side, then feed it over to the parking brake wire.
If your truck is older, this may still work - I just don’t know either way.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
150 Posts
As Raine said, just ground the wire on the kenwood harness that says "parking brake". When you set the parking brake, it grounds the light on the dash which tells you the brake is set. It does the same thing for the stereo, grounds it so that the stereo will let you have full functions. Just grounding the wire to something metal in the dash with a simple loop terminal will fix it completely. It's not like other stereos where it needs to be grounded multiple times within a specific time period to allow functions.

You don't need the thing from Amazon.

By the way, with Apple Carplay or Android auto, you won't have to set the parking brake to do any type of typing in addresses or anything like that. The parking brake requirement is for things like playing videos.

·
Registered
2013 CC 4.0L 6MT
69 Posts
I put in a Kenwood DDX276BT (needed model with CD/DVD drive) a few months ago and I just crimped a ring lug onto the head unit's parking brake wire and connected it directly to a screw right on the housing of the head unit itself and it allows full access while moving.

·
Registered
189 Posts
99.9% just ground the parking brake safety wire from the Kenwood. No bypass, no toggle switches needed. Ground it and have full video functions.
As raine said...all you need to do is ground it. You can simply out a ring terminal on it and ground it to itself if you want (which is what i did)

i have a kenwood in my 2012 and did the above - works great.

·
Registered
2021 Frontier CC SV Midnight
15 Posts
Pretty sure it goes with all kenwood radios that have the parking brake wire . Just connect that wire to ground and your done

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Pretty sure it goes with all kenwood radios that have the parking brake wire . Just connect that wire to ground and your done
You guys all sure it can be grounded? Many newer radios require a double-pulse signal on the parking brake wire (to block people from just grounding the wire).

·
Registered
2021 Frontier CC SV Midnight
15 Posts
Haven’t seen that from kenwood yet , I know pioneer needs to “ see “ the brake being applied , had to put a switch to ground on my father in-laws truck for his to work

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
150 Posts
You guys all sure it can be grounded? Many newer radios require a double-pulse signal on the parking brake wire (to block people from just grounding the wire).
Many of them do, but my less than a year old Kenwood (DMX957XR) is just a simple ground. I haven't seen Kenwood do it any differently thus far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, assuming he does a by the book parking brake install, I think I realized an easy after work around. The tray above the stereo.. like on the dash.. saw a video where guy popped it off with a pry tool and back of radio was exposed (without stereo out). Just clip the parking brake wire, strip, crimp on a ring terminal and ground to back of unit with screw

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
150 Posts
So, assuming he does a by the book parking brake install, I think I realized an easy after work around. The tray above the stereo.. like on the dash.. saw a video where guy popped it off with a pry tool and back of radio was exposed (without stereo out). Just clip the parking brake wire, strip, crimp on a ring terminal and ground to back of unit with screw
That is how you get down in there; but no way in hell I can access my wiring with only that upper panel out….have to remove the screws and pull the stereo and panel out to get behind it.

·
Registered
2013 CC 4.0L 6MT
69 Posts
Take the tray off, remove one philips head screw under it, gently pull the trim bezel from behind there, forward. You will feel the clips pop loose. Pull the trim from below the radio until the whole thing is free. Support it and lay it out of the way. Remove four bolts and the radio will lift out. There will be enough slack to get in there, or you can disconnect the harness connector, antenna and optimally SXM tuner connector and take it all the way out. Make the mod, and reinstall it. You will gain the confidence to work on it yourself any time you want to in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts