Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could be wrong but it seems most of the threads on here are of peoples trucks f*cking up. I just bought an 05' NISMO less than a month ago and so far i changed the fuel leveling sensor(it was bad), did the transmission bypass and changed the oil. The guy said he changed it every 5K-7K miles with mobil1 which is BS cause the oil looked dirty as ****. I was changing the oil in my GTI with mobil1 every 10K miles and it was WAY cleaner. So basically, i read a tread about some dude's truck having a bad timing chain, and that it made some whining noise. I checked it out on youtube and couldnt really hear what people where talking about. I went out to my truck started it up and it has a whining noise. Doesnt really seem like much..almost sounds like it has an aftermarket intake or something. So now i'm thinking "**** should i just change the timing chain?" what do you guys think? Also, after driving there is a smell coming from the back of the truck, it almost smells like brakes or a clutch burning. I took a look and there is nothing leaking out, and the brakes arent abnormally hot. So i am kinda lost on what it might be, at first i thought maybe a bad bearing, but that should make the wheel hot as f*ck right? any inputs would be great.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't know if this is your first car forum or not but it's like that on every one of them. Most people's post with questions about something going wrong or complaining about something.

·
Registered
843 Posts
not to bust your balls or anything but it is a used 6 year old truck.

how many miles on it?

the timing chain is related to bad tensioners, theres a lot of threads on here about it and i believe nissan has a nsb on this problem.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
its easy to get paranoid when reading the forums. when people have a problem, they hit the forums and that makes it look like the problem is more widespread than it really is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its got just at 70K miles on it. I have been members of other forums before, and there are alot of posts about issues they have. However, its usually something small and not hard to fix, but it seems like a lot of people are having issues that cost thousands of dollars to repair.I live in Europe and if something like that fails for me I might as well burn the truck and call the insurance company cause i wouldnt be able to afford it. The mechanics here charge between 60 and 70 Euro an hour...thats almost 100 bucks an hour plus there overpriced parts. I will probably chill out more in about 5 months when i PCS back to the states. When i can work on my own stuff in my garage vs. paying someone to do it.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
A small whine may just be an accessory. Just remove the serp belt and turn on the truck. If it still makes the whine, then it is an internal issue, not an accessory issue.

I would highly urge you to check the rear diff oil. Heck, probably change it too. If an axle seal has gone, it may have leaked and if you leave it long enough, it will leak out entirely and you are fuked.

Now for the m1 in the motor. Everyone who changes their m1 on the VQ say that it comes out pretty dark. I am not sure if it is caused by blow-by or it is just working or what but for the ones that have had blackstone test the used oil, it comes back good. I run my m1 for 5k but others go for 10k. I wouldn't push it past 6k with spirited driving.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I'll chime in about the forums being the place you'll read nightmare stories about vehicles.
People come on places like this looking for answers to their problems/questions so you get to read all kinds of things people are b!tching about.
You rarely get somebody signing up just to tell you how awesome there vehicle is.
It was a technical question that actually lead me here to Clubfrontier.org over two years ago.
Same with most people I think you'll find.

As far as the oil, mine always comes out dirty as hell, just rolled over 30,000 miles.
I used dino oil and change every 3-3.5k.
I guess this engine works it hard, as far as I can tell it doesn't use any oil in the 3-3.5k period (it's never low).

·
Registered
115 Posts
My timing chain went bad by 55k. Sounded like a quiet roots type blower.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Damn Todd, 2 Years And A Super Mod!!!!!! Damn Fastracker
I Love My Truck, The Engine Rebuild, 1 New Diff, New Front And Rear U Joints, Brakes All The Way Around, Timin Chain Tensioners, Guides, And Chains( Hey I Was In There) Valve Body Modded Trans, Radiator Bypass, Hell And Throttle Body Bypass, And Abs Bypass Too. I Also Bypassed The Stock Hp Rating Of 265 To About 400!!! I Bypassed My Fuel Economy And Weight Too, 9-13 Mpg(now That I Calculated It With Actual Gallons And Miles :) ), Weight 4400# To 5600#'s. I Bypassed The Stock Suspension, Wheels And Tires, And The Only Thing Left Stock On The Exhaust is 1 Hanger!!!!
If You Want To Really Be Paranoid, Go Buy A Land Rover And Go On Their Forums......

·
Registered
824 Posts
With the internals being moly-coated, that would be my guess for the surprisingly premature dark colored oil. I believe it is Molybendum Dilsulfide, similar to graphite powder in appearance. Both of which are used as friction reducers and/or lubricants.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well I Do Change My Oil Every 5k With Mobil 1 And I Rebuilt The Engine 10k Ago And It Still Comes Out Black....you Are Really Being Paranoid

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A small whine may just be an accessory. Just remove the serp belt and turn on the truck. If it still makes the whine, then it is an internal issue, not an accessory issue.

I would highly urge you to check the rear diff oil. Heck, probably change it too. If an axle seal has gone, it may have leaked and if you leave it long enough, it will leak out entirely and you are fuked.

Now for the m1 in the motor. Everyone who changes their m1 on the VQ say that it comes out pretty dark. I am not sure if it is caused by blow-by or it is just working or what but for the ones that have had blackstone test the used oil, it comes back good. I run my m1 for 5k but others go for 10k. I wouldn't push it past 6k with spirited driving.
Thanks man, I checked the diff fluid and the level is good, but i'll probably change it this weekend for good measure. I plan on taking the belt off after work today and seeing if the whine is still there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
awesome.....Anybody got a parts list, including the stuff you need for the water pump? Also are there any special tools i am gonna need to change this? A DIY would help a lot I searched the forum and google but came up with nothing(atleast nothing worth a ****). Any inputs for changing this out would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Flammable liquid of your choice, a source of fire and a route for leaving the scene. Per your 2nd post in this thread.
haha. I might have over reacted, but the mechanics out here do rape you for anything. I am going to talk to a couple of people and see if i cant use there garage for a day or so. It shouldnt be too bad, but i am gonna have to order all the parts on-line so thats why i asked for a parts list's. Cant just drive up the road and pick something up. Thats one thing that sucks about living overseas. I have changed timing belts before and used a tool to hold the cam and keep it from moving. I assume there is one for our truck right? Anybody know a good place where i can buy something like that? I am new to nissans so I dont know all the sites to buy stuff from. I'm a plethora of info on audi's and VW's, I just havent messed with nissans too much, but the way things are going I should be an expert in no time. Anything info would be great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got off the phone with courtesy nissan looks to be around 540 bucks before shipping for all the parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts