Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of used sliders that need some work. I have pretty much ground and sanded all the old powder coat and rust off. I want to know now the best way to paint the bare steel. Do I want to use a primer/rust inhibitor, what kind of primer. I want to use black rustolium paint and on top of that use spray on truck bed liner from a rattle can. So, basically I need to know the best way to prep the steel to accept the paint so it doesn't flake.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
i use a red primer with hammertone finish for all of the raw metal parts i've done, the hammertone is great as it can be sprayed over rust making it great for trail rash and such

·
Registered
622 Posts
An Xterra friend of mine uses this stuff called Por15. It's a bit expensive(not sure what he meant by that) but you brush it on right over rust and bare metal and the stuff is supposed to be like armor for the metal. FWIW

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
mine came bare steel I sanded and cleaned them with 409 about 5 times until the rag was clean and used rattle can spray bedliner with no primer and its been great for I guess a year or so. To touch them up from rock chips just hit that spot with the spray again

·
Registered
296 Posts
por15 is the bee's knees! it bonds directly to the rust and stops it.

just as tough if not tougher than powdercoat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.