• Other

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a search but can't seem to find the topic I am looking for. I have ordered almost all the exterior accessories I would want to put on my truck, I want to keep it clean looking but still aggressive, in time I may order some Halo Headlights or some smoke version, but I know eventually I am going to want to go with some black rims as well. While I am a fan of (certain) powder coated rims, I'm curious what you all have done or have looked into. Powder coat? Painted? PlastiDipped? Or just buy some new rims? I do like blackened rims with a hint of chrome, but trying to balance cost, durability etc, I am just not sure which path would work best. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
266 Posts
In my opinion a couple of things need to be considered with this. Are you satisfied with the current width, diameter, offset, and weight of the stock wheels? Do you need/want new tires?

If you said yes to the first and no to the second I would say look into someone that would paint the wheels with the tires still mounted. That would be the cheapest route aside from a deck of cards or stack of index cards and a couple cans of plastidip.

The next two options would be the most affordable, either have your tires taken off the wheels, have your stock wheels powder coated or painted then have the tires reinstalled. You could also do this with another set of OEM wheels and either put new tires on them or mount your tires onto the different wheels when they are done, this option would allow minimal downtime for the truck if it is your only means of transportation.

Personally I would not take used tires off of a wheel and put them back on, no sense in having to pay someone to take them off and then pay them again to put them back on. So I would wait till you need/want new tires if you are going to use OEM/Stock wheels because when tires are replaced it is already something that you would be paying for.
If you said no to the first question aftermarket would be the best option, which could be had in typically different styles and colors. As far as the tires go that’s up to you. If you find a wheel design you like but they don’t have the color you are looking you can always get aftermarket wheels PC’d or painted.

From my experience with ways to coat/cover/paint wheels goes as such in terms of durability, looks, and finish quality:
Powder coated > professionally painted > Rattled Can’d > Stock > plastidip

Ive had black pastidipped wheels, they good for about a month then brake dust gets imbedded into the finish and they turn a grey/brown color. Only way I could get them to look black was with tire shine.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Sorry for the novel.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Wow
Great reply and I have to say I would agree with your assessment in the same order.
Personally I liked the OE wheels when I put my new tires on (06 SV CC). Shortly afterwards I wanted something a little different. I decided on plasticoat wheel coating (thicker bodied spray paint in my opinion ) in Argent silver. It's a stock GM color. It closely matches the color of my truck, contruction grey.
I used the index card method after some sanding and cleaning of the wheels. 3 coats later they looked great.
It's been 3 yrs and they are due for a refinishing, but I'm not sure I'll go with the same color.
Maybe a new wheel?

·
Registered
660 Posts
When I reached the point that I wanted to turn my wheels black, I looked into every option available to me. They went something like this:

• Powder coat: $120 a wheel. I'd have to do the wheels one at a time. Drive on the spare, dismount and remount/balance would be done myself. The total time involved stopped me. I figured just over a weeks time.

• Paint: I was looking into a process at work called Tech Line. A Cross of paint and powder coat. Spray on wet bake to cure. Again one wheel at a time. Cost was a 6 pack to the painter at work and about $100 in product. I would blast the wheel myself and dismount, remount/balance was up to me. Tech Line is a product we use on the steel parts at work. Like control arms and what not. Again with this, time involved stopped me.

• Buy New: In the end this is what I'll end up doing. But for the time being I have other places to spend that money.

• Plasti Dip: This is what I wound up doing. For $31 I got 6 Cans at Home Depot. $8 a 6-pack of beer. Wash the wheels off. Let them air dry. Taped off the tires and hub face. Put paper towel in the lug nut holes and sprayed away. Think I spent 3-4 hours total. Yes that includes waiting for the wheels to dry in the sun, while I took care of the extra $8. 3 years later About 60K miles, a new set of tires, All I've done is touch up from the wheel the weight change. Brake dust and what not hasn't been an issue. I use a wheel cleaner as normal when I wash the truck.
I was very skeptical of the Plasti dip. But I'm happy with it. If I had a second vehicle to drive and the cash I'd powder coat. I believe it's the right way. If your keeping your current wheels.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I reached the point that I wanted to turn my wheels black, I looked into every option available to me. They went something like this:

• Powder coat: $120 a wheel. I'd have to do the wheels one at a time. Drive on the spare, dismount and remount/balance would be done myself. The total time involved stopped me. I figured just over a weeks time.

• Paint: I was looking into a process at work called Tech Line. A Cross of paint and powder coat. Spray on wet bake to cure. Again one wheel at a time. Cost was a 6 pack to the painter at work and about $100 in product. I would blast the wheel myself and dismount, remount/balance was up to me. Tech Line is a product we use on the steel parts at work. Like control arms and what not. Again with this, time involved stopped me.

• Buy New: In the end this is what I'll end up doing. But for the time being I have other places to spend that money.

• Plasti Dip: This is what I wound up doing. For $31 I got 6 Cans at Home Depot. $8 a 6-pack of beer. Wash the wheels off. Let them air dry. Taped off the tires and hub face. Put paper towel in the lug nut holes and sprayed away. Think I spent 3-4 hours total. Yes that includes waiting for the wheels to dry in the sun, while I took care of the extra $8. 3 years later About 60K miles, a new set of tires, All I've done is touch up from the wheel the weight change. Brake dust and what not hasn't been an issue. I use a wheel cleaner as normal when I wash the truck.
I was very skeptical of the Plasti dip. But I'm happy with it. If I had a second vehicle to drive and the cash I'd powder coat. I believe it's the right way. If your keeping your current wheels.

Hope this helps
Damn, when did powder coating get so expensive? It used to be like $50 a wheel.
I got brand new Level 8 rims for $100 a piece.

Reactions: ef9

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
We should really meet up so you can see how a black Pro-4X would look with plasti dipped wheels. Our trucks are identical and I have my OEM wheels Plasti dipped. I did it 2 years ago and have NOT had any issues. I have never worried about car washes with wheel scrubbers or going off road. The only time I have any issue with peeling off is when I have a flat repair done and they pull the tire off the rim. But, all that requires is I peel off the damaged areas and respray the lip. In fact, I have one wheel I recently had a repair on and the lip is a little peeled.

My main reason with going with Plasti dip on the OEM wheels is due to few choices in wheels and the fact that many aftermarket wheels will cause more rubbing which will require cutting or going to a smaller tire. Also, cheap wheels can sometimes have vibration issues.

Also, here is my truck out in the wild. I really see no need to buy aftermarket wheels. I can thin of many other places to spend $700....

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't know. I called the powder coater PME uses for the chassis. Said I'd blast them myself and asked if that was the best they could do. I stopped looking into it after that. The last time I had something powder coated, for myself, it was the suspension for the 510. But I traded work on a car for that.

And yes new fuels or level 8's are coming. Just as soon as I can kill this set of tires.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
street sweeper said:
Just my thoughts on the matter. Sorry for the novel.
No, by all means, this is the kind of reply I was hoping for! I really appreciate all of the input!

Frontier510 said:
Buy New: In the end this is what I'll end up doing. But for the time being I have other places to spend that money.
Honestly, this is where I seem to be leaning, although finding the right set without seeing them already on my truck isn't easy.

NYCe_Frontier said:
Right!?! I called around and most of the places I found were between $100 and $125, and many of them added more on top of that for 'repair work' or 'unmounting and mounting'...bah!

shizzy said:
We should really meet up so you can see how a black Pro-4X would look with plasti dipped wheels.
I'm down! Should figure something out...after my birthday though, that's when I'm dressing up the Professor, would hate for my almost-stock Frontier to feel inadequate meeting a customized one ::grin::

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't know. I called the powder coater PME uses for the chassis. Said I'd blast them myself and asked if that was the best they could do. I stopped looking into it after that. The last time I had something powder coated, for myself, it was the suspension for the 510. But I traded work on a car for that.

And yes new fuels or level 8's are coming. Just as soon as I can kill this set of tires.
I haven't had anything powder coated in a few years but the last time I did it wasn't expensive. I had a 21" motorcycle rim and an 18" motorcycle rim done for $25 each.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
NYCe_Frontier said:
I had a 21" motorcycle rim and an 18" motorcycle rim done for $25 each.
I'm just going to mail my rims to you!::laugh::

Looks good shizzy! Did you PlastiDip the rear emblem as well? Love the all black look...

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn, I like the look of that. Almost makes me regret pulling the lettering from mine...almost ;)

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been going back and forth on tinting or adding smoked lights, are those covers or tint?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Personally i am sticking with the stock Pro-4x/desert runner rims that came with the truck. Anything else other than a fully steel rim which is nearly impossible to find in our bolt pattern is a complete downgrade from the stock rims. In any event, if you ever do wish to sell your truck later on, you need to keep the originals because it's a major downgrade in your trade in if you have aftermarket rims which are not engineered to the specifications that manufacturers rims are. Many are not even tested or engineered in any way, it's just some shop with a CNC machine that buys a bunch of low grade billet aluminum blocks and just throws in any old design that looks like it came from a tattoo artist.

All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Quote ..... "Honestly, this is where I seem to be leaning, although finding the right set without seeing them already on my truck isn't easy."

Discount Tire has a feature that allows you to see a virtual picture of your truck and the various wheels that they sell. Might be a place to start for new wheels
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/interactive.do

I decided that I did not want to wreck a set of after market rims doing the off roading that I do and wanted a powder coated set ..... so I waited and checked loads of sources (craigs list, ebay, etc.) and eventually found a set of factory Frontier wheels here on the CF forums for $75.00 (5 wheels). A couple of them were scratched, which did not matter since they were going to be powder coated.

A local powder coater did mine for $50.00 each .... I made a deal with him that he could use them as a"fill in" work and he dropped the price from $75.00 each.
This allowed me to keep my factory wheels if I want to put them back on my truck when I sell it ....

I like the way things turned out

Reactions: ef9

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome set of wheels, and good thinking...now, if I can find that sort of deal up here in Minnesota I think that would be the route I would want to take! Nice truck!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Personally i am sticking with the stock Pro-4x/desert runner rims that came with the truck. Anything else other than a fully steel rim which is nearly impossible to find in our bolt pattern is a complete downgrade from the stock rims. In any event, if you ever do wish to sell your truck later on, you need to keep the originals because it's a major downgrade in your trade in if you have aftermarket rims which are not engineered to the specifications that manufacturers rims are. Many are not even tested or engineered in any way, it's just some shop with a CNC machine that buys a bunch of low grade billet aluminum blocks and just throws in any old design that looks like it came from a tattoo artist.

All in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Not sure what you're taking about. There are plenty of high quality rims out there that are "engineered" and not just chopped from a block of metal.

I've been going back and forth on tinting or adding smoked lights, are those covers or tint?

A shop that I frequent tinted them for me with tint film made for taillights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts