Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Frontier is just about three weeks old. I've washed it twice since I got it, both times using Meguire's car wash soap. This afternoon, while washing the lower part of the rear fenders and the lower sills under the doors (crew cab), I noticed the paint looked dimply. I don't remember seeing that the last time I washed it but I may be mistaken. It's not something that you can see just by looking at the truck, you have to be close to it such as when washing. Is this normal? It looks almost like it's a different part of metal that was welded. It's not on the doors or upper panels, just on that very lower part like under where that clear plastic piece is that they put to protect that part of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Are you talking about the rocker panels? Yeah, they're textured. Pretty standard automobile thing. The paint is thicker and textured to prevent the it from chipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what they're called (sorry, female here). I am going to take a picture tomorrow when it's sunny and see if I can post it. You're probably right but I never noticed it on my Chevy Silverado SS. It does look like it's two different pieces welded together but again, you have to be right there like when you're washing it to notice it.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Are you talking about the rocker panels? Yeah, they're textured. Pretty standard automobile thing. The paint is thicker and textured to prevent the it from chipping.
^ This

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Looks like bad 'orange peel' when paint is poorly done. It is actually where paint has been heavily applied to protect that area. Mine has it too...

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
It's deliberate OE applied that way and on all 2nd gen Frontiers.
So it's perfectly normal as these guys have already stated.
Nothing to be concerned about.

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts
The lower panels are sprayed with "chip guard" and then painted over. They use it on a lot of vehicles and have for a lot of years. It protects those areas from gravel and stones bouncing up and impacting them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts