Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about painting the plastic tailgate panel on my truck white to match the truck color. I don't like the look of the black plastic back there and I think the
chrome trim package Burtman's offers is a bit too much chrome for me. I know some
of you will find that hard to believe, but even I have a bling level too.

What are your thoughts on the 3 options? I'll see if I can add a poll to this.

OkieScot

·
Registered
361 Posts
A third option might be to paint it a complementary color. One that accents the white but doesn't wash out the handle.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Outlnder,

I had not thought about that option. I am not sure what color would go well with the
white and not be over whelming. Red comes to mind since I am an OU fan, but that
would be a little too much contrast.

I plan to do the chrome tailgate handle cover thing when it becomes available. I may
try to do a group buy on it if they will work with us on it.

OkieScot

·
Registered
361 Posts
Maybe a royal blue or darker beige. Or even a deep burgundy. Nothing bright would work unless you want it to jump at people. A deeper shade would look nice.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I definitely think painting almost any thing on the truck that is plastic the paint color would be an improvement. I would like to do the door handles as well.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KingTut,

When I had my mirrors, foglight surrounds, and the piece below the chrome bumper
painted to match my truck, the paint shop would not paint the door handles. He said he was afraid the paint would not stay on them.

Oh yes, he also painted the mud guards to match the truck. The factory paints the
door handles on the LE CC's, but I guess he does not do as well as the factory.

OkieScot

·
Registered
906 Posts
Before you pay someone to paint the plastic look into this paint you can get at Auto Zone called Krylon - it adheres very nicely to plastic. My husband has used this on many parts of the interior and exterior of his Saturn Red Line & he gets many complements on it. Check it out here, all the blue he's done himself.
http://www.redlineforums.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1412

BTW this is what I meant when I was thinking of an accessorizing color. For now I've decided to go with black & chrome.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DivaLisa,

You go girl, accessorize with the black and chrome, a good combination.

Thank you for the heads up. Most of your husbands painting was inside the car,
how has it held up on the bar underneath.

OkieScot

·
Registered
906 Posts
The bar underneath was not the same paint, that was just put in last week too. He's not driving at the present so that doesn't count either way. There is some of the Krylon on the from grill and other plastic pieces on the front of his car that has held up great. It's designed for plastic, no sanding no priming either. The only place that it hasn't done so great is an alumium grill (at the bottom) that he painted without roughing it up first, but the plastic pieces have done just fine.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thanks for asking. He's doing better. Wishing that he could use his arm, but he's got at least another 2 months of therapy ahead of him. But he's taking less pain killers now so that's a good thing.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DivaLisa,

Glad to hear he is doing well. Give him my wishes for a speedy recovery. Don't let
him work you too hard either.

OkieScot

·
Registered
189 Posts
OkieScot said:
KingTut,

When I had my mirrors, foglight surrounds, and the piece below the chrome bumper
painted to match my truck, the paint shop would not paint the door handles. He said he was afraid the paint would not stay on them.

Oh yes, he also painted the mud guards to match the truck. The factory paints the
door handles on the LE CC's, but I guess he does not do as well as the factory.

OkieScot
Yeah I have had plastic door handles similar to the Frontiers painted before. The painter just has to know what they are doing. They need to use flex agents and plastic adhesive agents in the paint or it will not adhere and could crack easily. Just make sure the painter knows what they are doing before you let them "give it a shot".

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A very close poll so far. Is there anyone out there that could photoshop a white truck
with the black plastic piece changed to white? That would help me make up my mind and might help others as well.

I guess I should ask if anyone has removed the black plastic panel yet and if so how hard is it to do. I am hoping it is not too hard so that I don't have to have the dealer do the swap out . Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you to all who have taken part in this poll.

OkieScot

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kilago,

Thank you for your work. I am not sure if I like it or not. My wife said it looked too added on and that it would probably look better with the Burtman chrome surround to separate it from the rest of the tailgate.

outlnder mentioned painting the panel in a complementary color. If you can find the time could you try a few different colors to see if you can find one that looks good with the white?

So what is everyone else's opinion now that you can see tthe white on white?

OkieScot

·
Registered
298 Posts
wassup everybody. this is my very first post on this forum. thinking of getting a 06 or 07 frontier. all depends if there is anything new on the 07's.

anyway, i was thinking of painting the tailgate also, so this topic was a great one. of course my opinion is to paint the tailgate, but i would match the color. to me, the complementary color would bring more attention to it like the unpainted plastic one does.

love the idea of painting the mudguards and plastic part of the front bumper. hey, okiescot, do you have a pic of the front of your fronty?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts